Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Competitive Team Play and League discussion

Old 07-08-2016, 04:27 PM   #1
Pandapool

Thumbs down Why must i pay for competitive if i payed $20 dollars for this game years ago

if i payed for the games content this critical aspect of the game should not be behind a pay wall. im a vetran and loyal player but the only reward for buying this game is a trash hat. you figure that they would care for devoted players but i guess the huge amount of free players overshodowes all of the people who have stuck with the game for years
Old 07-08-2016, 05:12 PM   #2
Timerlane

The paywall/phone requirement is there for the sake of cheaters.

You can get access for free by enabling the Steam Mobile Authenticator on your account; besides, I have no idea how anyone could possibly get any Steam Trading or Market selling done without it.
Timerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
T@F

Valve should have thought about that before it went f2p.
This should be illegal tbh.
No way in the world i will buy a phone just for steam.
T@F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
gashadokuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@F View Post
Valve should have thought about that before it went f2p.
This should be illegal tbh.
No way in the world i will buy a phone just for steam.
There's a very big chance that there's something in the eula, that you agreed to sign, which says otherwise. If you don't want to buy a phone, you don't have to, but you will be limited.
gashadokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Timerlane

FYI, a non-smartphone and a tablet with Wi-Fi works, too. Once you get and use the initial code from the text they send you, you really don't need to use it(the phone part) again.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:28 AM   #6
backstepper

I dont care for the items much anymore. I wont buy the matchmaking pass or any other mission pass. I know people cant hear the overwatch comparison but at least they let you play competitive for free. Blizzard might not be a lot better but they give you all content free, dont have things like kill x amount of enemy players with weapon y and want money for that like valve.

I mean you get crates for that you can open for money or sell for money (also colored versions of weapons). They get a part of that too whatever you do. So i dont understand why you need to buy tickets for content that should have been in the game and content that is just there to get them more money.

Also why the phone argument? OP talked about the pass and not the item verification. That i can understand to protects accounts/items but that any player regarldless if f2p or from the beta is supposed to pay for the matchmaking is stupid.

Thanks for being such a greedy company valve.
backstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:28 AM   #7
Timerlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by backstepper View Post
Also why the phone argument?
TF2 is free. If Competitive access is also free, Competitive will be drowning in cheaters by default, as there's nothing stopping them from just making a new Steam account and starting their crap all over again.

Instead, Competitive access is free, if you have a phone number tied to your account. Accounts tied to phone numbers provide another way to limit cheaters, as the phone numbers on banned accounts can be used to simply ban any Alts from playing Competitive via that same phone number, rather than waiting for VAC to (hopefully)catch and ban all the accounts individually.

And TF2 is Hat Simulator 2007, after all.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
backstepper

You do know that is still not the topic. When someone doesnt have or want a mobile phone like that and is pretty much forced to buy the ticket. Also phone numbers limit cheaters?

Its not like you can get a number for dirt cheap or something and tf2 is just money making material now. In the end it screws over people who cant handle money and others who for various reasons cant get a number but people who have way too much money will still use it as long as valve doesnt just stop it. The problem is how valve handles a lot of this. For example how it shouldnt be possible to use these tricks in the first place.

Tf2 is also far from free if they continue to do tickets for some "missions" and who knows maybe also for the next class update.

Last edited by backstepper: 08-27-2016 at 01:57 PM.
backstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:20 AM   #9
Terobero

Just give your phone number....
Terobero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:18 PM   #10
Gyokuyoutama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terobero View Post
Just give your phone number....
Maybe that works for all you sheeple who have willingly plugged yourself into the global telecommunications and telecontrol network but for us independent free willed sovereign citizens alternative options are needed.
Gyokuyoutama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #11
A 1970 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyokuyoutama View Post
Maybe that works for all you sheeple who have willingly plugged yourself into the global telecommunications and telecontrol network but for us independent free willed sovereign citizens alternative options are needed.
My network still uses AppleTalk because it's the one protocol nobody would expect.
A 1970 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Zilkenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyokuyoutama View Post
I recently had a fight with the customer service or whatever because of this. I always avoid having the app in my cellphone because if I lose my cellphone, anyone could get it, and since Steam forces you to keep your account logged in, the security is really bad. Anyone could pick my cellphone and get into my account, so I decided to log out.
What happened? I wasn't able to go back in. I had the code long ago written in a piece of paper I couldn't find, and the code I had no longer worked.

So, because I don't want to keep my account logged in inside a device that can be transported anywhere and therefore, can be lost, I'm doomed to never have instant trades and such.

Oh, and customer service or whatever won the fight. They kept throwing me around different people, and nobody knew what I was talking about.
And Kevin? I still remember you...
Zilkenian is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Competitive Team Play and League discussion