Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 05-09-2017, 12:54 AM   #31
Rynjin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___ View Post
see that's interesting because to be honest if you've never played 6s and you start on medic you're are not going to learn anything, nobody has the time or patience to teach you. Why should they?
Because they're not pricks and they realize lobbies really aren't that serious all things considered.

MeeM's right, people in lobbies are generally pretty chill IME. Granted, when I played them it was usually Demoman, not Medic but somehow I doubt they'd flip from "Hey, work on this, try to tighten up on that, don't over-extend" to "Get out u in scrub" just from a class change. I think the harshest thing I ever heard was "Dude, you suck at rollouts".

Unless the community has significantly changed in the couple of years I've been gone, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to play a few matches as Medic to get into the swing of things. Lobbies aren't true comp matches, they're as low stakes as a pub, minus the time investment spent matchmaking.
Rynjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #32
Bloodninja93

In our region, d4mo's right. You don't play the most important class if you have no idea what you're doing, otherwise you have just ruined 5 other peoples games - regardless of whether you're having fun or not.

You can play/do whatever you want in highlander because there's 8 other people to cover your mistakes, but you're expected to have a basic understanding of the game before playing 6s.
Bloodninja93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:10 AM   #33
d4m0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
Unless the community has significantly changed in the couple of years I've been gone, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to play a few matches as Medic to get into the swing of things. Lobbies aren't true comp matches, they're as low stakes as a pub, minus the time investment spent matchmaking.
He can be useless for a while and maybe his teammates won't get mad because yes, the tf2 competitive community is pretty chill, but it's just not the best way to do things. Playing 5-15 lobbies as scout or roamer will let you learn basic 6s positioning stuff without having to learn the myriad medic-specific skills that are absolutely required even at the lowest level of competitive play.

Even if you aren't the best scout or roamer, it honestly barely matters because you're on the flank in a lobby. No one expects unknown flank players to actually be good, the spotlight is almost never on you and the 2 or three times a match you have to stop watching dropdown and go for a sac everyone on your team is alive so they can't spectate just how much you ed up that bomb. More importantly, you aren't actually expected to get anything done most of the time.

You're saying that you expect he should be able to play a few matches as medic, but he's saying he's already done that and been yelled at. Given how chill the comp tf2 community is, he was probably really, really, bad. And that's to be expected if you're a pubber...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodninja93 View Post
In our region, d4mo's right.
in the region of my head, I'm always right.

Long time no see, buddy. Still maining bastion? :D

Last edited by d4m0: 05-09-2017 at 01:13 AM.
d4m0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:08 AM   #34
Bloodninja93

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4m0 View Post
Long time no see, buddy. Still maining bastion?
You know it. Hit us up with a game sometime soon!
Bloodninja93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:50 AM   #35
SN34

I am a bitter sack of , so I am okay with my own thread.
SN34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:13 AM   #36
Zilkenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4m0 View Post
if you're a pub medic main and you haven't played competitively then you still shouldn't be playing medic in lobbies AT FIRST. I'm pretty sure I covered that in my post already. Some of your skills transfer, but there are a ton of others that you just don't learn playing pubs that are essential to not throw the game.
Okay then.
Zilkenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:28 AM   #37
MysticTheMeeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN34 View Post
I am a bitter sack of , so I am okay with my own thread.
You're on spuf, there's no such thing as "bitter".
MysticTheMeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #38
A Dapper Apple

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticTheMeeM View Post
You're on spuf, there's no such thing as "bitter".
When everything is bitter, nothing is?
A Dapper Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM   #39
MysticTheMeeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Dapper Apple View Post
When everything is bitter, nothing is?
'Zactly.
MysticTheMeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:56 AM   #40
Jigglypuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigglypuff View Post
its fine if highlander is a joke, that means it matches the rest of the game
This is probably going to be my last rep isn't it
Jigglypuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2