Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 05-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
Loose Cannon

Post To-Do-List for the Apocalypse

Well, this is as depressing as . We have some stuff to do in the next few weeks. I wouldn't nominate myself as a leader to get any of this stuff together, but I'm just pointing out it should be done. Of most concern is item two: where we're going after this all ends.
  • Get Steam information together so we don't fall out of touch (probably a group)
  • Come to a consensus on where to migrate
  • Archive important/funny/helpful posts/generally sentimental stuff
  • Mourn

I do see why SPUF is being done away with, as it's misleading to anyone who Googles Steam forums (evidenced by the occasional new user wandering amongst us). That being said, our obscure little forum is what brought us together in the first place, and is irreplaceable. I've spent several years getting more attached to this place than I would've thought possible, and many of us have spent more. "Press F to pay respects" memes aside, I am genuinely sad that this is finally happening. Although with maybe a little effort, the most important aspect of this place--the people--can stay together.

Also time to get to my very first 1000th post special! Yay!

Last edited by Loose Cannon: 05-16-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #2
Selbi

SPUFpowered just received my sign up, and I think that's also going to be the first big target we can handle. But the sad reality is that there are only compromises, no replacements. As such, lots of familiar faces will vanish.

Make it depressing af right from the start to make the remaining three weeks more bearable.
Selbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:01 PM   #3
A 1970 Corvette

Theme song of the end (in my mind, at least).

I'll probably want to archive my giveaway threads, I dunno about anything else.
A 1970 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #4
John Caveson

You know it's kind of surreal. Like, we've just been told we've got a month and a half to live. Imagine if that was your actual life, what would you do? It's so weird. It really makes you appreciate what you've got.

I remember when the SPUFserver was announced to close. I hosted an event on the last day and the server was filled basically all day for the first time in months. It made me think. You know, if people came on the server like this more often, we wouldn't have to shut it down in the first place. It's amazing how people react when the things they take for granted are gone forever.
John Caveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #5
GeneralKitsune

Reminds me when Pokemon Abode went down 2001 I think it was. It's funny how this isn't the first forums I frequent that have gone down and I still feel weird about it going away.

I'll pop in from time to time before it's gone, but in all honest these forums were definitely showing signs of dieing.

It's sad though there aren't a lot of options now-a-days though either. Gamefaqs has been pretty dead for years, and wasn't all that good at topics to begin with even years ago. SPUD is meh at best... Every now and then something interesting comes up, but it's cluttered with boring posters, mostly due to how unoriginal or creative those people are. Then lastly there's Facepunch which, a harsh to get started on, is fairly enjoyable to frequent IMO.

Guess I'll say Gamebanana too, because I'm still making Sprays for TF2 as a side thing. But other then that I don't do much over there.
GeneralKitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
owels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
Well, this is as depressing as . We have some stuff to do in the next few weeks. I wouldn't nominate myself as a leader to get any of this stuff together, but I'm just pointing out it should be done. Of most concern is item two: where we're going after this all ends.
  • Get Steam information together so we don't fall out of touch (probably a group)
  • Come to a consensus on where to migrate (my vote's with Reddit, but I'll go wherever everyone else wants)
  • Archive important/funny/helpful posts/generally sentimental stuff
  • Mourn

I do see why SPUF is being done away with, as it's misleading to anyone who Googles Steam forums (evidenced by the occasional new user wandering amongst us). That being said, our obscure little forum is what brought us together in the first place, and is irreplaceable. I've spent several years getting more attached to this place than I would've thought possible, and many of us have spent more. "Press F to pay respects" memes aside, I am genuinely sad that this is finally happening. Although with maybe a little effort, the most important aspect of this place--the people--can stay together.

Also time to get to my very first 1000th post special! Yay!
If we get a steam group I'll join that. I can't get steam information together sadly. If anyone wants to add me on Steam though, go ahead.

I don't like Reddit. It doesn't sort posts chronologically, and has them in a tree format which annoys me. If the majority wants to move there though then I guess I wouldn't have much choice but to go there as well.
owels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:43 PM   #7
Teamfortressguy

Archiving the Jag Whacking thread should have been first on the list.
Teamfortressguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #8
A 1970 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by owels View Post
If we get a steam group I'll join that. I can't get steam information together sadly. If anyone wants to add me on Steam though, go ahead.

I don't like Reddit. It doesn't sort posts chronologically, and has them in a tree format which annoys me. If the majority wants to move there though then I guess I wouldn't have much choice but to go there as well.
Well most people have settled on subSPUF, because they share the same sentiments on Reddit as you do.
Old 05-16-2017, 05:45 PM   #9
majer63

I think we should make a Steam group, even just so it's easier to stay in contact. It will also give us more time to figure stuff out. A Steam group is also nice as it's easier to message others and get a reply quicker (Although I still want to find an actual forum to migrate to).
majer63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
hugthebed2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 1970 Corvette View Post
uhhh mods? he posted the wrong link
hugthebed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #11
A 1970 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugthebed2 View Post
You're right, it's this.
Old 05-16-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
owels

Quote:
Originally Posted by A 1970 Corvette View Post
I think this or this would be more fitting.
owels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
A 1970 Corvette

I think Cathedral Spires would be a good alternative.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:11 PM   #14
drgnzach

Don't forget that time SPUF users whooped mod
drgnzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #15
gen. DeGroot

I have my music set for June 5th
gen. DeGroot is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2