Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jolly Rover

Old 03-17-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
Tiggum

Thumbs down This game is awful

The main character is the comic relief idiot and makes you wish he was dead within the opening cutscene, there are a billion labelled hotspots that do nothing but which you're encouraged to click on anyway in case there's "hidden" items there, the puzzles don't make sense and aren't even consistent within the game and the hint system is irritating as .

This is exactly the sort of adventure game that would have been right at home ten years ago, before anyone knew how to make an actually good adventure game, but with examples like the Blackwell games or Hector: Badge of Carnage showing how to do it properly this sort of thing is inexcusable.

Lazy, unfunny writing, nonsensical puzzle design and a bad user interface. This game has no redeeming features.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
in.meinem.turm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggum View Post
This is exactly the sort of adventure game that would have been right at home ten years ago, before anyone knew how to make an actually good adventure game, but with examples like the Blackwell games or Hector: Badge of Carnage showing how to do it properly this sort of thing is inexcusable.
It's actually the kind of Adventure game that was made 20 years ago and that the guys who made the prime examples you mentioned most certainly loved. (minus the collectible stuff which has no effect on the game anyways unless you want achievements / unlockables).

Quote:
Lazy, unfunny writing
I totally disagree on that.

Quote:
nonsensical puzzle design
Ever played Monkey Island 1+2?

Last edited by in.meinem.turm.: 03-17-2012 at 01:58 AM.
in.meinem.turm. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
psyko12

Op is unappreciative of what classic games was! This game is awesome just like monkey island, also has great sense of humor, pity op is prolly from a new gen of gamers eye candy people and doesn't appreciate little things, content and ofc old school games.
psyko12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #4
NeosForme

I have to agree with these guys, op/Tiggum either doesn't have much patience or taste when it comes to older style games. I personally loved Jolly Rover and would love to see a sequel. It may not be the most amazingtastic graphic-gasm on the market, but it really doesn't need to be. It does the job,and personally I found it to have a charm for it. Besides, remember that this is an indie game. Also known as not being backed with millions of dollars in production. As for the writing, I found the jokes and characters to be fun and likable. So to anyone looking into buying the game, try the demo and judge for yourself.

Personally I'd have to describe the game with a phrase from Rover himself - Oar-some!
NeosForme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Slade1972

Like the others, I'm at odds with the OP.
I picked this up on one of those indie sales sites, and thoroughly enjoyed the game. It was a welcome break from the mindless fps games I often play.
For an indie game, animation was good, voice acting was better than a lot of them, the characters varied, and the puzzles whilst not terribly difficult did make me think on occasion.

All in all, a solid 75 - 80 / 100.
Slade1972 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Jolly Rover