Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #91
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Exclamation

I will report this bug to engine team, but I have no idea what's going on as we tested the release with OS X 10.7.4 I believe and there were no issues.

Try forcing it to run in windowed mode.

EDIT: One of the engine devs responded with a guess that Apple changed events handling and therefore that version of OS X is deemed unsupported. You can contact Apple and ask if there anything OS X does to prevent the game running. Maybe they already implemented Gatekeeper that prevents you from running unsigned code. Supposedly that feature can be turned off.

Last edited by motorsep: 08-03-2012 at 08:38 AM.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #92
bgschaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
I will report this bug to engine team, but I have no idea what's going on as we tested the release with OS X 10.7.4 I believe and there were no issues.

EDIT: One of the engine devs responded with a guess that Apple changed events handling and therefore that version of OS X is deemed unsupported. You can contact Apple and ask if there anything OS X does to prevent the game running. Maybe they already implemented Gatekeeper that prevents you from running unsigned code. Supposedly that feature can be turned off.
I'll try both. How do I force windowed mode when I can't select the options? Is there a key to hold when the app starts up?
bgschaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #93
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
No key unfortunately. If you know how to use terminal, you can get into steelstorm.app/Contents/MacOS/ and edit steelstorm-osx-sdl bash script. There is a parameter that forces full screen. Simply remove it and save the script.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:35 PM   #94
woutgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgschaid View Post
I'll try both. How do I force windowed mode when I can't select the options? Is there a key to hold when the app starts up?
You could also try adding this line to the file config.cfg:
"vid_fullscreen" "0"
On my system, the file is located in the directory Library/Application Support/steelstorm/gamedata under your home directory.

HTH
woutgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #95
Frungi

Quote:
No key unfortunately. If you know how to use terminal, you can get into steelstorm.app/Contents/MacOS/ and edit steelstorm-osx-sdl bash script. There is a parameter that forces full screen. Simply remove it and save the script.
Actually you don’t need Terminal, just need a right-click on the app (Show Package Contents) and a text editor.
Frungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:42 PM   #96
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Ohh, didn't know OS X allows such an easy way to get inside the .app
Old 08-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #97
bgschaid

Quote:

Windowed mode (thanks woutgg for the hint BTW) changes nothing in the behaviour.

spctl says that Gatekeeper is not switched on (I guess I should have noticed that)

I checked the logs and these two lines are from when SteelStorm starts up (are they any help?):

/var/log/system.log:Aug 8 23:00:28 bgs-cool-greybook steelstorm-osx-sdl-bin[15586]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
/var/log/system.log:Aug 8 23:00:28 bgs-cool-greybook steelstorm-osx-sdl-bin[15586]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.

The other lines (prefixed with [0x0-0x749749].com.kot-in-action.steelstorm[15586] look harmless, but I can post them too
Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #98
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
I am not really sure, bgschaid, how else can I help you

woutgg can run new update fine, and he is on 10.7.x, so can other users run it. So the issue is not with the engine it seems.

Try removing config.cfg (in your Library user data). Try removing all the data and reinstalling the game. Try disabling overlay for the game. I really wish I could help, but I don't have Mac with the same configuration as you do (I don't have Mac at all, but I am just trying to explain that it's extremely hard to reproduce issues without matching settings) and other people on Lion can play the game.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:47 PM   #99
bgschaid

Quote:
I am not really sure, bgschaid, how else can I help you

woutgg can run new update fine, and he is on 10.7.x, so can other users run it. So the issue is not with the engine it seems.

Try removing config.cfg (in your Library user data). Try removing all the data and reinstalling the game. Try disabling overlay for the game. I really wish I could help, but I don't have Mac with the same configuration as you do (I don't have Mac at all, but I am just trying to explain that it's extremely hard to reproduce issues without matching settings) and other people on Lion can play the game.
Thanks. The thing with the config did it. In short:

- Removed the general cfg
- Start. Clicking worked
- Reselected my profile. Clicking didn't work
- Removed general cfg again
- Created new profile. Clicking worked
- Selected old profile. Clicking stopped
- On the shell copied cfg from new profile to old profile. Edited name in profile to fit
- Now the old profile works again with clicking

Checked a backup of the old profile with the newly created one: a lot of bindings were missing. Especially

bind MOUSE1 "impulse 50"

No idea how that got lost, but I'm 100% sure that I never edited it before today

Anyway: problem solved. I'm just reporting it here because it might help another on with a similar question
Old 08-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #100
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Glad to hear it! Thanks for sharing the solution and I apologize for inconvenience. I wish DarkPlaces engine had a better way of dealing with config files
Old 08-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #101
woutgg

Quote:
Just to clear up a confusion, I ran the test on 10.6.8 (i.e. SL, not Lion); I didn't have the guts yet to upgrade my system...

Not that it's important anymore for this issue though, I'm happy to hear you've got the game working bgschaid!

W
woutgg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution