Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 08-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #1
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Exclamation Free map for SS:BR is out !

I released a totally new, never seen before, free map for SS:BR late Friday night. However, it sounds like only a handful of users noticed it.

That makes me very concern and sad What can active SS:BR users do to help getting the rest of the community back on track? (unless it's already a lost case)

Thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
pdXjoe

I noticed! Thank you for this game Lots of stuff going on this week end with the Olympics and all, so give it a few more days for folks to see the update and play more
pdXjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Ahh, maybe Olympics drew all the attention and we don't see any feedback on a _free_ map

Cheers!
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
pdXjoe

The new map is...challenging! lol and looks great. I haven't beat it yet, give me time. So my feedback would be well done, good job. I haven't found any glitches or bugs.
pdXjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Glad to hear that! Credit for the map goes to fKd Quake 3 mapper
Old 08-11-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
_Emo_

After the update, new choice "Mixed Goodies" appeared in the Campaign menu. In it, there's a new map and a mission "Assault on FKd City". It's great that you supported the designer by releasing the map officially.

Briefing says that our mission is to wipe out enemy forces at the powerplant and open the city's gate.

We begin at some high platforms. How high - we can't see, because the city appears to be very polluted, there's a brown fog. Can't check it by falling either due to caringly placed invisible walls. But don't let it make you think that the map is easy. Very challenging battles are ahead.

The brushwork is very detailed and original, which is great. There is a great variety of interesting shapes, and it's nice to see that originality adds more diversity to the game.

Red beam turret stops us. Thankfully, there is cover where we can hide. Later there are light turret + respawning turret. From here we see that enemy placement will make our assault a hard one.

Now there's a big trouble - heavy tank cornered me! I lost two ships here. The design really starts to give a feel that we're in the city - there are fanciful buildings with glowing windows.

The sand part is nicely decorated with light plates and wire. When you get the data key, two minigun tanks will reqire a thoughtful approach. You'd better look forward using the "Q" key to prevent yourself from stumbling into rocket turret.

Overall, this map makes a great use of the game's resources to create beautiful and very various environment. It's a great addition to the came and certainly everyone who has Steel Storm should play it.
_Emo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Thanks _Emo_ !!!

When is your map coming out?
Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #8
_Emo_

I can't aim for any release date, because I don't know when I'll feel the urge to work on it, so I can only say: when it's done.
_Emo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
KIAaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Emo_ View Post
After the update, new choice "Mixed Goodies" appeared in the Campaign menu. In it, there's a new map and a mission "Assault on FKd City". It's great that you supported the designer by releasing the map officially.

Briefing says that our mission is to wipe out enemy forces at the powerplant and open the city's gate.

We begin at some high platforms. How high - we can't see, because the city appears to be very polluted, there's a brown fog. Can't check it by falling either due to caringly placed invisible walls. But don't let it make you think that the map is easy. Very challenging battles are ahead.

The brushwork is very detailed and original, which is great. There is a great variety of interesting shapes, and it's nice to see that originality adds more diversity to the game.

Red beam turret stops us. Thankfully, there is cover where we can hide. Later there are light turret + respawning turret. From here we see that enemy placement will make our assault a hard one.

Now there's a big trouble - heavy tank cornered me! I lost two ships here. The design really starts to give a feel that we're in the city - there are fanciful buildings with glowing windows.

The sand part is nicely decorated with light plates and wire. When you get the data key, two minigun tanks will reqire a thoughtful approach. You'd better look forward using the "Q" key to prevent yourself from stumbling into rocket turret.

Overall, this map makes a great use of the game's resources to create beautiful and very various environment. It's a great addition to the came and certainly everyone who has Steel Storm should play it.
Is this "Mixed Goodies" pack also out on Desura? Because I don't see it.
KIAaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Wink

Desura has been really disappointing. I can't afford to spend all day uploading updates on Desura Linux because they don't bother fixing their client. It's been a year or so since it was opensourced and it seems that community doesn't care much either (major bugs are still not fixed).

I certainly can upload usermaps for Desura Windows, but then Linux crowd will complain.

Don't you have SS:BR on Steam, KIAaze ?

When Steam comes to Linux, soon according to Phoronix, you wouldn't have to stress about Desura
Old 09-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
KIAaze

Yes, I know I can get the map if I really want to through Steam using Wine or Windows.
Hopefully things will be easier with the Steam port...

You said you could upload it for Desura Windows. Why can't you do the same for Desura Linux? What's the exact problem with the client?
Old 09-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #12
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Desura Linux client drops connection. So it could be all day before it decides to not drop connection and upload the updates. I uploaded Linux updates with Windows client once and Desura staff told me never do that again because they had to set privileges for each file manually (like if they are sooo busy). Oh well, not like Desura users really use Desura to play SS:BR.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
KIAaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Oh well, not like Desura users really use Desura to play SS:BR.
I do... (although, yes, I do not play it much)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution