Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 01-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
necrodoom

donation using steam game

i want to donate to steel storm 2, but i cant donate except by my steam games, is there anything i can do?
Old 01-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
What do you mean by "by my Steam games" ?

You could help us spread the word. That's where we have been hurting - no one knows about Steel Storm 2.

I am thinking of Kickstarter by next month, because apparently not whole a lot of press feeds off IndieGoGo. But if the word isn't going to be spread, it will be over before we know it.

We'd really like to get the game shipped by the end of 2013, which is only possible with funding via Kickstater or direct pledges. Otherwise it will be another 3 years of part time work, just like with Steel Storm 1
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 AM   #3
necrodoom

i ment giving you a steam game i have in my steam inventory.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
thanks, but it's no problem I'll get distracted with new game

Btw, how do people do giveaways? Maybe we can do a giveaway to attract some attention.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Fish-E

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
thanks, but it's no problem I'll get distracted with new game

Btw, how do people do giveaways? Maybe we can do a giveaway to attract some attention.
It's been a while since I used the site but if I remember correctly Steam gifts allows you to give copies of games away to people within a certain group (ie members of your steel storm group which would encourage people to join and therefore expand your potential player base).

Otherwise you could always post a thread on these forums.
Fish-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
KIAaze

Yes, I just saw some giveaways made that way on reddit a few minutes ago.

@necrodoom:
About the Steam inventory, isn't that just some ingame items you can give away? Or can you actually give away the corresponding games?

@motorsep:
It seems you set up 2 crowdfunding systems: One at indiegogo and one on the official Steelstorm 2 website: http://two.steel-storm.com/
Now would you prefer people to give directly through the official website or through Indiegogo? I'm assuming there will be less money lost using the direct way.
How much money have you made through direct donations so far? It would be nice to see that on the official website.
Also: Should the crowdfunding fail, will you still make the game even if it just takes longer?
And why not sell an alpha like you did for Tomes of Mephistopheles and like Overgrowth have been doing for years now (although they give no info on how efficient it has been for them)?

Sorry for the many questions. ^^'

(Ah, and I see you just replied to my questions on the community hub (I find this multiple forum system a bit frustrating). Reply coming up. )
KIAaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 12:31 PM   #7
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIAaze View Post
It seems you set up 2 crowdfunding systems: One at indiegogo and one on the official Steelstorm 2 website: http://two.steel-storm.com/
Yes I did. Prison Architect was an inspiration, although while it works for them, it doesn't work for us (fan base size, press relation, etc. are quite different)

Quote:
Now would you prefer people to give directly through the official website or through Indiegogo? I'm assuming there will be less money lost using the direct way.
How much money have you made through direct donations so far? It would be nice to see that on the official website.
While direct way is always preferable, press cares more about crowdfunding on some platform. You can see how much money it's made on the page - there is a real-time counter.

Quote:
Also: Should the crowdfunding fail, will you still make the game even if it just takes longer?
Yeah, but that will take years, just like with SS:BR.

Quote:
And why not sell an alpha like you did for Tomes of Mephistopheles and like Overgrowth have been doing for years now (although they give no info on how efficient it has been for them)?
ToM is put on backburner (I think I already mentioned all the reasons many times), people are cautious about alpha funding. Also people don't understand the concept behind alpha funding (not all, but many). The idea is to kickstart the development and allow devs to make more game to show. If more game doesn't appeal to masses, then developments stalls. Usually small group think that the game is promising, but word of mouth fails to reach more people and build momentum. Another critical issue is press. If press fails to talk about it for whatever reason, it's really hard to build momentum. Even Minecraft took time building momentum.

Overgrowth is backed by HIB sales and venture capital. It can become next DNF and no one will cry about that. We don't have that luxury. When I spoke to Wolfire, they said pre-orders don't cover the cost of doing it fulltime. So even Overgrowth took years before get some stream of revenue going.

Interstellar Marines is another example. They burnt through 1.5 Million dollars, years of development, went to ask for more, failed and shut down. That's pretty negative image for all these indie start ups and crowdfunding campaigns.

So, it's tough

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution