Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 03-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
care to upload map somewhere so I could take a look?
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
_Emo_

Of course. I PM'd you the link.
_Emo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
A link to fixed map is in PM.

What happened is that all of your brushes were structural. Since you have pretty detailed structures on the level, all of those tiny elements contributed to split of BSP tree and created a _ton_ of portals. So when VIS runs over it, it can't handle all these portals.

The solution is simple - keep all major large brushes structural, keep all small brushes detailed. It's safe to say that outer hull of the level have to be "structural" and whatever details you add to the map can be "detailed".

What I did was I selected every sky brush, most of the large stone/floor brushes, and I hid them with H key (all brushes are "structural" upon creation by default). Then I selected all of the remaining brushes / patches, went to Brush > Make detail. Then I revealed hidden brushes with Shift + H, saved the map and recompiled using last option (build monitoring was on). Everything compiled, issue was solved.

On the level design note, next time you make level for SS:BR, try keeping rock walls an angle. Currently when I get close to the rock walls the video gets obstructed. The pit with ramps leading down is nice, but getting out of it is a royal pita - slopes are too steep.

Other than than, I like it. Good lighting, good details, good flow so far. Keep at it!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:50 PM   #19
_Emo_

I imagine you have a busy schedule due to development of Steel Storm 2, so thanks a lot for taking your time to have a look at the map and fix it.

I compiled the fixed map and confirm that it works. What is surprising is that VIS is very fast - it compiles instantly! I'm used that VIS takes a while and requires patience. Not this time, thankfully.

But when I launched the map, first time the game quitted without any error message immediately after generating the minimap. Second time for the first few seconds the player, enemies and some small surfaces from the map geometry were invisible, then the screen filled with garbage polygons. I closed the game and launched the map again. Then it worked fine. I hope it was just a one-time glitch.

Thankfully, no VIS errors in game - that is, the game never thinks that something is not visible when it's actually visible.

Also thanks for providing feedback. I didn't think that the errors are so serious. I got used to camera being obstructed sometimes in Z-Hunter, but it's isometric, so no way to avoid. Here the camera looks vertically down, so it is possible to make it to never be obstructed and it should be done. I'll try to move some rocks, reshape some rocks so they won't obstruct the camera. If that fails, I'll add small rocks which will prevent the player from getting into places where the camera can be obstructed.

I also didn't think that getting out of the pit is such a trouble, thought it just takes a small while and that's all. I'll try and make the pit less deep to lessen the slope angle.

Does the game have console commands for disabling HUD, free camera, high-resolution screenshot (like Tiledshot from Unreal Engine 3)?

On a side note, recently I've seen a screenshot from Steel Storm 2 Indoor Area on your site, and it looks pleasing. It makes me look forward to the game. IdTech4 is an amazing engine, I enjoyed Doom3 and Prey a lot, so it's very good to know that another game using this engine is coming.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Thanks!

There are cvars to disable HUD, something like r_draw2d 0 will disable 2d drawing (which is what HUD is). Resolution of screenshots depends entirely on what resolution you are running the game. There is no free camera.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:32 AM   #21
_Emo_

Actually, there is a free camera. In Mission Editor, click the button called "edit lights" or something like that, then type r_draw2d 0 in the console - and there it is. Just move your hand one key to the right from wsad, as the "w" key is reserved for some function of the Light Editor.

You won't be able to freely fly around a mission this way, but still that's a lot better than nothing since most things you see in the game are map geometry.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=195390841
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=195391497

Also, if getting out of the pit is too long for you, you can strafe against the wall, and you will move much quicker.

Unfortunately, not much progress have been made on the map in the last few months - other things have been on the way. But I'm not giving up, and planning to gather whatever time and energy I have left after doing my full-time job, and put them in this map.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=195415817

In other news, I finally got around to posting my impressions about the Forgotten Prison DLC online. Just in case anyone only reads the forum and doesn't read the Steam Community, here they are: http://steamcommunity.com/app/96200/...26250831350005
Old 01-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
necrodoom

Quite of a late response, but the screenshots look awesome so far. They still have the regular steel storm theme but look much nicer, will blend in nicely but still stand out. I cant wait for it to come out and play around with it in editor, heh. Good luck.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
_Emo_

Thank you, necrodoom! Making the environment looking similar to the original game but also different was one of my design goals, and I'm happy to know that it is achieved according to your feedback.

Slowly but surely, development of the map progressed. Last year it went into closed alpha state, and today I finally finished implementing improvements based on alpha testers' feedback.

The biggest change is that ground brushes are now replaced by terrains with smooth texture transitions. It was very difficult to achieve, because the engine's terrain system is hard to understand, requires the user to painstakingly model each triangle of terrain mesh manually together with carefully placing vertex blending materials and markers. It's also prone to throw unexpected bugs and glitches at you.

But the effort was worth it. Elevation changes and texture transitions make the environment more various and more interesting to navigate, and I'm happy to see that now the location looks how I imagined it.

The level has been publicly released. The download link is in this Steam Discussions thread:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/96200/...2547939366557/

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution