Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 05-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
zratchet

Steel Storm Volunteer Moderator
Mac users thread

Any Mac bugs can be posted here, for organizational purposes.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:51 PM   #2
the.snake

Graphics problems in second campaign

I'm having problems with graphics in the second campaign. The rendered scenes look incomplete. No textures, weird lighting, stuff like that. The game works otherwise, but it's not a pleasure to play. Plus, the ability to actually see anything is impaired heavily. Has anyone encountered similar problems? Solutions?

Some stats:
- Mac OS X 10.6.8
- 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- 8GB DDR3 RAM
- NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, 256MB

Thanks!
Snake
Old 07-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #3
BTALordHavoc

Try turning down the texture quality in the menu, we have observed this sort of graphics breakdown on OSX when the video card is being overwhelmed with textures.
BTALordHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #4
TactualRain

Red face GamePad Prpblems

Just nabbed this on my Mac - OS X Lion.

Gamepad support seems a bit off. I'm using the Wireless Receiver for Windows, with the driver from Tattiebogle (http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/Pro...ller/OsxDriver).

The Xbox 360 controller works fine in things like Hoard, and is sort of recognised by Steel Storm - but there's no fire button enabled on the controller. The triggers don't do squat, etc. I can fly about just fine but that's where the fun begins and ends

I've seen the linked thread to the developer's own forums highlighting a set of custom wossits you can put in the auto exec.cfg (? I think ?) file, but I wouldn't know where to find that on OS X (paths are different to Windows).

It should probably just work anyway

Other than that, the game's a blast - even on mouse and keyboard the fun keeps coming
TactualRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #5
zratchet

Trigger implementation is a tricky thing that relates to Windows-specific drivers (MS proprietariness ftl). We'll take a look though.
zratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 02:47 PM   #6
MScoutsDCI

I'm having fun so far but I think I'm having mouse issues. I guess it could be intentional, but even with the mouse speed all the way up, the turning speed feels extremely slow. From one edge of my mouse pad to the other, I turn somewhere around 90-120 degrees. So in big fights I'm constantly lifting up the mouse over and over.

Thanks, I'm enjoying the game!
MScoutsDCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #7
BTALordHavoc

A few questions about mouse issues:
OSX version?
mouse brand and model? (mostly curious if this is an Apple mouse or not)
what mouse speed do you have set in the steelstorm menus?

I observed something of this nature when I was coding the OSX port of QuakeLive but I can't recall any solutions, mouse acceleration on OSX seems extremely weird every time I deal with it.

My main curiosity is why other OSX users are not seeing the same issue...
Old 08-02-2011, 09:40 PM   #8
Demogorgo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScoutsDCI View Post
I'm having fun so far but I think I'm having mouse issues. I guess it could be intentional, but even with the mouse speed all the way up, the turning speed feels extremely slow. From one edge of my mouse pad to the other, I turn somewhere around 90-120 degrees. So in big fights I'm constantly lifting up the mouse over and over.

Thanks, I'm enjoying the game!
I have this same problem. Running Snow Leopard 10.6.7, Microsoft Intellimouse Exporer 3.0. Mouse speed is maxed-out in OSX and in the game.
Demogorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
smooth

I'm having an issue with my macbook and ps3 controller. For some reason, the only fire button that works is one trigger. There is no button corresponding to spacebar.

But if I manually set up the controller then the turning and flying with the sticks are messed up.

I'd edit the cfg file manually but have no idea where to find it on osx
(what is the name o the preferences filename and I can try to search for it)
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
zratchet

referring this to the programmers.
zratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:09 AM   #11
MScoutsDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTALordHavoc View Post
A few questions about mouse issues:
OSX version?
mouse brand and model? (mostly curious if this is an Apple mouse or not)
what mouse speed do you have set in the steelstorm menus?

I observed something of this nature when I was coding the OSX port of QuakeLive but I can't recall any solutions, mouse acceleration on OSX seems extremely weird every time I deal with it.

My main curiosity is why other OSX users are not seeing the same issue...
I'm on OSX 10.6.7 I've tried both at home an don my work computer with the same results. At home I have an Apple mouse (the one with the rollerball) and at work it's a different brand. I've tried full screen and windowed, I've turned the mouse speed all the way up in the game and the system preferences, and it's still very very slow.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #12
BTALordHavoc

Aside from Mouse+Keyboard, the Xbox 360 Controller For Windows is our main supported controller (only on Windows), everything else on all platforms is somewhat subject to available developer time and interest.

Is there popular demand for PS3 controller on OSX? Is there popular demand for other controllers? Let us know and we'll consider each controller/platform combination that people really want to have.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
robin1232

It keeps freezing, don't know for how long because I just pressed CMD+OPT+ESC after a minute.
It happens after 3 minutes of gameplay, including the menus.

OS-X 10.6.8 with all updates
2GHz Core 2 Duo
4GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce 9400M
robin1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
BTALordHavoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MScoutsDCI View Post
I'm on OSX 10.6.7 I've tried both at home an don my work computer with the same results. At home I have an Apple mouse (the one with the rollerball) and at work it's a different brand. I've tried full screen and windowed, I've turned the mouse speed all the way up in the game and the system preferences, and it's still very very slow.
What I'm trying to get a handle on is how many people have this issue, because I'm not sure why it would affect only one or two people, it seems like an issue that is more likely to affect everyone from what you describe.

I know a method to work around this issue but it's quite difficult to implement at this time.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:40 PM   #15
MScoutsDCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTALordHavoc View Post
What I'm trying to get a handle on is how many people have this issue, because I'm not sure why it would affect only one or two people, it seems like an issue that is more likely to affect everyone from what you describe.

I know a method to work around this issue but it's quite difficult to implement at this time.
Just to make sure, with the mouse speed all the way up, what kind of turning speed should I be getting? Right now, edge to edge on my mouse pad, I spin appx. 180 degrees.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution