Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Arx Fatalis

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
BobJelly

Thumbs up Arx Libertatis - an improved version of Arx Fatalis

Arx Libertatis is a cross-platform, open source port of Arx Fatalis maintained by fans.

This project updates and improves Arx Fatalis by supporting modern systems, porting the game to new systems as well as eliminating bugs and limitations. In the future we plan to improve and modernize the engine as well as enable customizations and mods by the community.

Arx Libertatis is based on the publicly released Arx Fatalis sources and available under the GPL 3+ license. This does however not include the game data, so you need to obtain a copy of the original Arx Fatalis or its demo to play Arx Libertatis.

There is still much code to clean and features to add. Contributions, small or large, are welcome: Feel free to fork the project on github or join us in #arxfatalis on the Freenode IRC network."

Updates

1.1.2: This is another small hotfix, this time to fix a crash when hovering over map markers after the window size or resolution has changed. (announcement)

1.1.1: This release is a hotfix addressing a regression introcuded in 1.1, that caused map markers to not be saved correctly and then removed when such a save is loaded. We encourage all users of Arx Libertatis 1.1 to upgrade to 1.1.1 as soon as possible. (announcement)

1.1: Fixes player movement issues, minimap scaling, and a bunch of crashes and other bugs. We also continued our work on restructuring the engine, to facilitate new features in the future. Further, there is an improved installer for the data files on *nix systems as well as minor graphics and sound tweaks. See the changelog for full details. While we haven't managed to include everything originally planned for 1.1, we felt it was high time for another release after nearly a year of development since 1.0.3. (announcement)

1.0.3: Fixes two regressions introduced in 1.0.2 for Windows users: Crashes on startup after selecting the OpenGL renderer and low mouse sensitivity with the DirectInput backend. There are also fixes for other crashes, rendering glitches, missing speech during cinematics in the Russian and Italian versions, missing ambient sound effects as well as bugs in how some skill values were calculated. (announcement)

1.0.2: Fixes various crashes, disappearing items when sorting the inventory, and minor rendering and input bugs. This release also fixes a bug that left the Spanish version with no text. (announcement)

1.0.1: Fixes text rendering bug in 1.0 that breaks the Russian version, a crash on some Linux systems and uses DirectX by default for rendering and input under Windows. You can still select the renderer in the video settings and if you set it to anything other than the default "Auto-Select" nothing will change for you. (announcement)

Windows and Linux binaries (and source code) are available on the downloads page.

Visit http://arx-libertatis.org/ for more details !

Last edited by BobJelly: 10-18-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Misc correction
Old 06-05-2012, 05:20 AM   #2
guizhang

Thumbs up

wow, cool. the game actually runs quite well for me now (win7/64, amd card). thanks for the heads up
guizhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
kufooru

Awesome!
Finally bought this game and was wondering if there was anyone still working on it after all this time.
+rep to you!
kufooru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Kuro999

Hi,

I have an error message when i try to launch Arx Libertatis, it says the application didn't launch correctly (0xc000007b).

Help anyone? Thanks
Kuro999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
dscharrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuro999 View Post
Hi,

I have an error message when i try to launch Arx Libertatis, it says the application didn't launch correctly (0xc000007b).

Help anyone? Thanks
Apparently this means that a 32-bit program tried to load a 64-bit dll or the other way around. Did you use the 32-bit or 64-bit build of AL? Maybe try the other one.
dscharrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Kuro999

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscharrer View Post
Apparently this means that a 32-bit program tried to load a 64-bit dll or the other way around. Did you use the 32-bit or 64-bit build of AL? Maybe try the other one.
Thanks, apparently i've got a false x64 xD, it works with the 32 bits release.
Kuro999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:02 AM   #7
dscharrer

Another release:

1.0.3: Fixes two regressions introduced in 1.0.2 for Windows users: Crashes on startup after selecting the OpenGL renderer and low mouse sensitivity with the DirectInput backend. There are also fixes for other crashes, rendering glitches, missing speech during cinematics in the Russian and Italian versions, missing ambient sound effects as well as bugs in how some skill values were calculated. (announcement)

Any input in the skill / stat / spell modifications discussed in the announcement is appreciated.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #8
nebenschwein1

hey devs of this patch! I LOVE YOU! i bought this game like over a year ago or so on gog and i never got it to run in win7 64 bit. i just tried this patch of yours and it runs flawlessly! now i finally get to play this game! its guys like you that make pc gaming worthwhile. thank you! (you can probably tell im excited)
nebenschwein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
RedSwir1

Is there a way to make it so that when I launch Arx Fatalis through Steam, it launches Liberalis by default, without having to add Liberalis as a separate shortcut?
RedSwir1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #10
dscharrer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSwir1 View Post
Is there a way to make it so that when I launch Arx Fatalis through Steam, it launches Liberalis by default, without having to add Liberalis as a separate shortcut?
Hi and sorry for the delay.

I'm no Steam expert, but afaik there are two options:

1. Add Arx Libertatis as a non-Steam game to Steam

or

2. Copy arx.exe and all .dll files from the Arx Libertatis installation directory to the Arx Fatalis directory (path/to/Steam/steamapps/common/arx fatalis/), overwriting the original arx.exe file. You might also need to adjust the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ArxLibertatis\DataDir and/or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ArxLibertatis\DataDir registry keys to point to the new arx.exe location. (future AL versions will automatically load data from the directory containing arx.exe)

I'm not sure how well Steam will cooperate with option #2 - for all I know it might just restore the original files whenever it feels like it.

Unfortunately I can't test either option right now.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Revgenics

Good work! Now i can play this amazing game on 64bit! Thanks!
Revgenics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
TDBrd

this is awesome.

just got AF for free when i pre-purchased Dishonoured.
only question I have is how can i specify what openal device to use?

i'm assuming openal isn't working right now. Rapture3D is the only openal driver i have installed, and its log doesn't report anything trying to use it when i load Arx Libertatis.

does your patch look in the system folders for an openal driver or only within its own folders?
(i'm using Win7x64 by the by, and running the Arx Libertatis x86)

would be great to be able to play AF with Rapture3D.

EDIT: openal-soft works.

for anyone who's interested you'll need to download and install openAL, then download OALsoft and extract the soft_oal.dll file in to your Arx Libertatis folder.

would still be nice to be able to specify an openAL driver though - even if only through a *.cfg file or something.

Last edited by TDBrd: 08-30-2012 at 05:57 AM.
TDBrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 PM   #13
dscharrer

For OpenAL we test with OpenAL Soft under Linux (as that's the default there) and Creative's OpenAL implementation under Windows, which should come with the Arx Libertatis installer - so it should just have worked without OpenAL soft or manually installing OpenAL. Did sound not work at all for you without doing that?

I currently have trouble finding concrete documentation on how to select the Rapture3D driver for OpenAL - do you know if it is enough to specify "Rapture3D" as the device name for alcOpenDevice()? Anyway, I've opened a feature request on our issue tracker for this.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:38 AM   #14
TDBrd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscharrer View Post
I currently have trouble finding concrete documentation on how to select the Rapture3D driver for OpenAL - do you know if it is enough to specify "Rapture3D" as the device name for alcOpenDevice()? Anyway, I've opened a feature request on our issue tracker for this.
when i've specified rapture3d as the device to use via a cfg/ini tweak, yeah, i've just set devicename=Rapture3D (in unreal based games anyway) - so i'm assuming "Rapture3D" is the name to use.
(where can i find alcOpenDevice then? - all your files seam to be encrypted).

I force Rapture3D to become my default system device by simply removing all files related to other implementations from the sysWOW64, system32, and the games directories. that way the sysWOW64 openal.dll gets queried and rapture3d_oal.dll is the only reported device - works 99% of the time.
however with Arx Libertatis i get zip - i got oalsoft working by just putting a copy of openal.dll and soft_oal.dll in the Arx Libertatis folder.

if i were you i'd just use openal soft across the board. Creative's openal is understandable geared towards their soundcards; sounds awesome if you've got one, pants if you don't, hasn't been updated in years, and from what i've read wrap_oal.dll can be rather buggy.

Last edited by TDBrd: 09-01-2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #15
TDBrd

i dunno if this is even possible, but i reckon a really nice but subtle gfx addition to this game would be to disable the crumby object shadows (some of which just pop into existence as objects are placed on surfaces or dropped) and integrate ambient occlusion instead...? or make it so it can be enabled through gfx drivers.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Arx Fatalis