Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > World of Goo

Old 09-07-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
inspiral66

Unimaginative acheievements

Is it just me or are the Steam achievements for WoG the worst ever? I love it when devs come up with goals that are not necessarily part of the game's progression, i.e. a task needed to complete the game. Basing the achievements on the OCD goo counts...that just seems so unimaginative. Shame, because WoG is one of the best indie games of all time IMO. Some whacky achievements might have given it more replay value and a feeling that Steam users are getting something that is a little bit exclusive to us.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #2
ickythump

well, what's worse? coming up with achievements to please people who whine about a game not having them, or having achievements and whining that they aren't imaginative?
ickythump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 06:29 AM   #3
inspiral66

Hmm,except it doesn't have to be one or the other, does it? Achievements are a good way of encouraging players to explore the full potential of the game. Perhaps the devs didn't think there was anything more to their WoG than simply beating each level. But you only have to look at the achievements in other games, and the traffic in forums as people discuss the best way to unlock them, to see that they are effective at generating interest and replay value.
inspiral66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 AM   #4
funkychicken121

A few of the achievements (if they aren't there already) could be getting to a certain height in that infinite build tower thing. Like 10m, 15m, 20m, etc.
funkychicken121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
spazbomb

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that its an older game that was done before achievements became popular. The fact that anyone went back to spend free time coding up the ones that are there surprises me.
spazbomb is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > World of Goo