Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #1
wickedplayer494

Exclamation DoD:S Steam pipe conversion in beta

Via HLDS:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher Dunn via HLDS
We have released a SteamPipe version of the Day of Defeat:Source dedicated server.

A note of clarification: this announcement concerns Day of Defeat: *SOURCE*. Alfred announced a very similar release for the original Day of Defeat product. This is a different release. Try not to get confused!

The server is a beta sever, and works with the client beta. We encourage all Day of Defeat server operators to help test this beta. We will be converting the game over to the new system within a few weeks. (So you might as well download the server now so you’ll be ready when the switchover happens.)

The existing HLDSUpdateTool dedicated server and the existing client are NOT affected. It is not necessary to download the SteamPipe version of the dedicated sever at this time to host clients who have not opted into the beta. We will give server operators a couple of days of advanced warning before we end the beta and switch the game over to be use SteamPipe as the official version. At that point, the HLDSUpdateTool version of the server will no longer be used; all sever operators must be using the SteamPipe version of the dedicated server.

Here is a general FAQ about Source engine games and SteamPipe. It answers many anticipated questions, including how to install the dedicated server and client beta:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...7388-QPFN-2491

We will be making a broader announcement of the client beta in a day or so after we confirm that some servers are up and operable.

The client beta is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Any questions not answered by the FAQ? Fire away.

Thanks for testing!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
INsane_dod

Thanks.
I think a new sticky is in order please Mods

Better advise people to back up what they have before converting, it takes custom files along with it that are now not working.
Better to back that old dod folder up, clean it out or plain delete it, start a game for a new folder...then opt in and convert without all the rubbish files.

If you don't you can still rename your converted dod folder, (in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source or 32 bit C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source) verify the files and a new one will go in anyway.

Last edited by INsane_dod: 03-14-2013 at 12:43 AM.
INsane_dod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
INsane_dod

From the link in the first post...

Q. How do I get the DoD:S client beta?
  • 1.) In the Steam client, right click on “Day of Defeat:Source” in the games list, and select “properties.”
  • 2.) Select the “betas” tab.
  • 3.) Select the “steampipe” beta.
  • 4.) Close the properties dialog.
  • 5.) Click “play” to launch Day of Defeat:Source.
  • 6.) You will be prompted with a dialog prompting you that existing content will be converted to the new format.
  • 7.) The conversion process will take a few minutes.
This will move all of your files to the new installation folder (see above) and apply the conversion.
Q. Can I opt back out of the beta?
Yes, but it will not move your settings files and custom files back to their original location.
Q. Can a beta client connect to a non-beta server?
No. The beta client is only compatible with a beta server (a SteamPipe server), and the standard game is only compatible with the standard server. Clients should only see matching servers in the in-game server browser. (This will not work in the Steam server browser.)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:41 AM   #4
Clément

I am not sure if I understand the new user file system correctly. According to the FAQ, I should put my HUD in dod/custom/mycustomhud but what about my config files and maps? What should be in dod/custom and what should not?

Edit: After further reading, the custom folder seems more appropriate for mods than for user files. So, what if there more than one user playing the game ? Any location to put Steam account or OS account specific data ? (like old SteamApps/<login>/ or the more general My Games/ on Windows or home folder on Linux)

Last edited by Clément: 03-15-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Clément is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #5
INsane_dod

I think we, (DoD:S and CS:S beta users) will have to follow the HLDS mailing list or the TF2 Beta forums for info like this and just convert the file folder path, (tf = dod or cstrike)
Both DoD:S and CS:S do have Beta forums already, I think we should start using those for certain topics. Not sure about Half-life 2: Deathmatch.

Not everything will follow TF2, like the "bug" of the DoD:S map info' on the choose team menu, it's not there at all. When I install my custom hud the info is there... but the background of the map description is white not tan.

Also, there is the "graphs" folder showing up as a map selection when you run a map.

But generic file paths, where maps go, server file systems and such should be be fairly close.

Last edited by INsane_dod: 03-15-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 PM   #6
Dradz

This doesn't frog up anything with the SDK, does it?
Dradz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:27 PM   #7
INsane_dod

It will do, when I try and run hammer I get a message my configuration information for DoD:S is missing
gameinfo.txt is missing in the old file system...well the game is not there anymore.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Clément

I tried to put my maps in dod/download/maps. The maps don't show in the "Create Server" menu but but can be seen with "maps *" and loaded with "map". I don't know if it is a bug or a feature.

In the FAQ, there is an error in the second answer of "Custom maps and files downloaded from gameservers", it is written "tf/downloads" instead of "tf/download".
Old 03-16-2013, 05:29 AM   #9
INsane_dod

Try this...
1. Make a new folder call it your map name.
2. make another folder inside that called "maps"
3. Place your .bsp file in there.
4. Go to ...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source\bin
5. Find vpk.exe
6. Drag and drop the folder you made onto vpk.exe.
7. You should have a file made (on your desktop or in the bin folder) "mapname_dir.vpk"
8. Place that in...
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod\custom

Run the game and check.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:35 AM   #10
INsane_dod

I just did that process with an orange map, all worked OK.
But...my latest map had a LOT of missing textures and models!
Now there are some custom textures, custom models, minimap 3D sky not showing.
The 3D sky is a dod:s standard type, some of the models are standard dods ones too.
That is not good.
I will try some more well known custom maps.

Edit: Just tried dod_strand. Lots of stuff missing including the 3 D Sky, models, Ground textures.
Looks like you have to get all the stuff you would normally pack with pakrat and place them in folders?

That's not good, I will read some more.

Last edited by INsane_dod: 03-16-2013 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:43 AM   #11
Clément

I don't want to create a vpk for each map. I have accumulated too many of them over the years.

In my custom folder, I have now 2 folders. One contains my custom hud and autoexec.cfg, the other the maps. All seems to work well, but it does not solve the multi-user issue.

"Create Server" menu now shows custom maps before the ones from dod/maps. As for the download folder, I am sad that I will not see the maps I downloaded from a server until I move them to the custom folder.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #12
INsane_dod

I think the packaging for a map delivered from a server is different for files meant to go in the custom folder.
Anyhow, the raw files in the custom folder work OK, it is just a matter of taking them and placing them correctly, no idea how you would go having a map in the downloads folder that is a vpk and one in the custom folder of the same name, I would need a beta server to find that out
Old 03-16-2013, 09:28 AM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #13
FletcherD

Valve
There's some confusion because the new filesystem provides some tools to help organize and distribute customizations, but it's not *necessary* to use those tools.

For example, if you make a directory

dod/custom/my_custom_stuff/

and then drop maps, materials, whatever you want under there, it will work exactly like before. You don't have to use VPK's to organize and distribute content. And you don't have to make more than one custom folder to organize stuff. Those are just tools you can use.

There are two reasons we introduced the "custom" folder, instead of just dropping files directly under dod:
1.) Files in the VPK's we ship now take priority over loose files. (This provides significant load time improvements.) Therefore, if you want to customize a file that is part of the official game distribute, you need to put it int he custom folder, which has the highest priority.
2.) We are shipping more files loose on disk, so the risk of custom files getting mixed up with shipping files (or shipping files clobbering your custom files if we ship a new version) is greater.

There's no need to put maps in VPK. (Nor any advantage, really, either.) On either the server or the client, you can drop them in a folder such as

dod/custom/[name_for_your_organizational_purposes]/maps

and you have the map in your filesystem.

The client can still download maps (and other content) from the server. The only change is that when they are downloded, they will go into the dod/downloads/maps (or dod/downloads/materials, etc) folder instead of the dod/maps folder (or dod/materials, etc), so you can keep it straight which maps ship with the game (should just go in dod), which you intentionally installed (probably under the custom folder) and which were downloaded from a gameserver (under the download folder).

VPK files are (currently) primarily intended as a convenient way to distribute client-side mods. At some point we might add the support for server-side mods to use VPK's, too, in which case the client would download the VPK (instead of individual assets) and mount it, but only while connected to that server on that map.
FletcherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #14
INsane_dod

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletcherD View Post
There's no need to put maps in VPK. (Nor any advantage, really, either.) On either the server or the client, you can drop them in a folder such as

dod/custom/[name_for_your_organizational_purposes]/maps

and you have the map in your filesystem.
Thanks very much FletcherD! That answered a question I was about to put to you in the TF2 forum

My concern was that placing 200 or so pre-beta maps in the custom folders instead of converting them would mean a drop in performance. I would hate to miss out on those fast loading times this beta has.

On last thing maybe for Mods to action , can we please have a sticky or sub forum for these topics? It will be easier to separate the two versions.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #15
INsane_dod

FYI Beta players, Bug: Map descriptions are not working, also the files packed in the vpk are not complete, only three are there.
Bug report sent in game..."title: dod_colmar: HTML Map descriptions"

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source