Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source

Old 11-19-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
blackout32

Arrow Bug Reporting Thread for DoD:S

THIS IS THE DAY OF DEFEAT: SOURCE BUG THREAD.

Since TF2 and L4D have their own bug thread I figured that we should have our own thread for reporting the frustrating bugs and glitches that we find in DOD:S.

Here's a simple note about reporting that was posted by a moderator:
Try only posting bug stuff also please provide any videos or screens to help out if you see any hardcore bugs. Try not to show exploits, PM a Moderator if you do catch one(otherwise it will be abused).

-Please post

BELOW IS A STARTER LIST OF BUGS SOMEBODY POSTED ON ANOTHER THREAD:

BUGS] 10 problems that still exist and should be fixed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me start by saying that I really do appreciate what Valve and the devs are doing to update such an old and somewhat unprofitable game (let’s be honest, the $ doesn’t lie in a $5-10 game that’s over 2 years old). I think many other players are also appreciative even that they don’t show it.

This is going to be a very long thread, so bare with me. Please forgive me if these bugs have been mentioned in other threads, my intentions are to consolidate most of the remaining bugs into 1 thread. I ask that the devs actually read through my comments and suggestions and post some input on what they think of this. Please keep the posts on topic; this thread is meant to be about the remaining bugs that currently exist as of 7/8. If others have comments, bugs, problems, or suggestions for the update please feel free to post, just keep the comments on topic and constructive. Don't post comments about what content you think needs to be added or ask why your game keeps crashing, keep it on topic. Thanks.

I will try to post pics and links to threads that further explain the issue when need be. Pics are posted in the post below this one with descriptions. Forgive me if these bugs are currently being worked on. These are in no particular order, so here we go:

** (1) Iron Sight Wobble **
In the previous version of DoDS, the iron sights would come up exactly where you aimed. In the beta and still after the update, if you move while iron sighting, the iron sights will wobble as they come up. This causes the iron sights to be in a different place than where you aimed and forces the player to readjust their aim. So what's the big deal? Well when trying to iron sight a MG or sniper for example, that split second is often the difference between killing the MG/sniper or being killed. This makes the player iron sight while standing still more and then peek out with the iron sights up. This is almost always an easy kill for the MG or sniper since the person’s side shows before the player iron sighting has a clean shot.

** (2) Right Peek **
Some have said that the left/right peek has now been fixed, sadly it hasn't. The left peek was over-corrected and has become a right peek. Sure it's to a lesser extent than the left peek, but it still exists and should be fixed. No other games that I can think of have an unbalanced POV that shows more of one side of the model than the other. The POV is centered in all the other Valve games; I don't think it's too much to ask for that it be centered in this game. I ask that when/if it’s fixed, the devs test it out for a little bit (wouldn’t take long) to make sure it’s truly centered.

+ Pics of the above bug in the post below +

** (3) Kevlar Arms **
This is one of the more minor bugs. It has always been present and there's a good chance it will never be fixed. Basically, when a player has his arms near his head, often times while prone, sometimes the arm will take the bullet even that you aimed for the head. At certain angles, even if the shot is aimed at the head and not on the arm, it will still reg an arm hit because of how the hit boxes move while prone and occasionally in other positions. And I'm not talking about a random shot that misses the head and hits the arm, even with a point blank iron-sight or scoped shot, the arm will always take the hit at certain angles. Again, not a huge issue, but many players would like to see it fixed. It adds to those "WTF" moments.

** (4) Smoke FPS **
This bug, although a large one, only affects certain players since some PCs and video cards seem to handle smoke better than others. Many of the people affected have high-end PCs and still see major drops in FPS due to smoke. I have major FPS drops and I have a medium to high-end PC. I have a Core 2 Duo e6760 2.66 GHz, 4 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM, and a Radeon 2900pro 512mb. This is more than enough to properly run the game and it does fine, however the smoke causes huge drops in FPS, especially while scoped-in. Scoping in on smoke (iron sights too) tends to cause a really big down-surge in FPS and it becomes very difficult to make any kind of shot. The sensitivity also gets messed up while scoped-in because of the FPS drop. I have heard and talked to people with significantly better PCs than me who can run Crysis on high settings and who have problems with the smoke effects still. I would post pics for this but there have already been countless threads and pics posted on this topic. The smoke performance needs to be fixed or at least improved greatly.

** (5) Scoped Scoreboard **
While scoped-in with the sniper rifle, if the player hits TAB to view the scoreboard, the black shaded area around the scope disappears. The crosshair disappears as well, but if you toggle (tap) the scoreboard on and off, it allows you to still make a shot fairly easily while seeing the entire screen. This is a fairly minor bug and I don’t think many players use it, nor do I think it could be heavily exploited, none the less it would be nice if it was fixed. I can post pics if people want them but I think it’s pretty self-explanatory. There were pics in the beta sub-forum but I can’t find them now, I think the thread is too old and was deleted.

** (6) Appearance and Alt-Tab Glitches **
There are 2 major alt-tab (minimized) glitches that I know of and 2 more minor ones. All of them are fairly common and happen to everyone. Both A and B I think need to be fixed very badly. Both of these glitches I have heard of happening to people who have not minimized the game, but I can’t personally confirm it. *EDIT* C and D I can confirm happening to me without having minimized the game at all.

-A- The 1st one is the prone/crouch glitch. Sometimes when a player brings the game back up after minimizing, players will appear to be running and sprinting full speed while in the crouch or prone position. The players appearing glitched-out are actually in the standing position while going full speed, however because of the glitch, they appear to be prone or crouch. The hit boxes are also a normal standing hit box, so while the player may think they are hitting the glitched-out player in the face or body, they are actually shooting them in the feet.

-B- The 2nd one is kind of 2 in the same. It’s the invisible player glitch but also the same as the ‘shot from spawn’ glitch. Basically the opponent appears to be in spawn from the freeze-cam, but is really somewhere else on the map. I only recently came to the conclusion that these glitches are 1 in the same after playing a 12man. 2 players were in the mid no-scoping for 1st pick, however to several other players and myself in spectator, 1 of the players at mid appeared to be no-scoping from the spawn, while he was actually at the mid. For some reason when this glitch happens, the game shows it as if the person has never left the spawn and is moving and shooting in spawn, when in reality the person is somewhere else on the map and in invisible to the player witnessing it. All those times when someone thought they got shot across the map by someone in spawn (as shown by the freeze cam), they were really shot by someone nearby who was invisible to them.

-C- *EDIT* The 3rd one is a player appearing in the incorrect uniform. I have had this happen to me even without minimizing at all. Example: an ally player appearing in an axis uniform or vise-versa.

+ Pic of the above bug in the post below +

-D- *EDIT* The 4th bug is a flag appearing incorrectly. I have had this bug happen to me without minimizing as well. Example: an ally controlled flag displaying correctly on the minimap as ally, but appearing incorrectly in 1st person as axis. It's not a big bug or frequent one but it can be confusing sometimes.

None of these are frequent bugs, however they happen enough and to enough players that this needs to be fixed. Yeah I know the simple answer is to just not minimize the game or start and stop a demo (both will fix A and B at least), but these glitches (mostly A and B) are unacceptable to remain in a “finalized” game. It’s frustrating to know that every time I minimize the game I’m taking a risk that these glitches will happen, forcing me to exit and re-open DoDS.

** (7) No-Grass CVAR **
This is another one of those minor things that isn’t going to be a game-killer if left in, but I think players would appreciate it being fixed. I use this one myself to remove the grass and see better in certain areas so I honestly would be somewhat disappointed if this was taken out. However, since this was only present in the original DoDS with sv_cheats 1 enabled, and currently works even with cheats off, I think it needs to be addressed. It really only gives the player using it a small advantage in several maps (Argentan on rails for example) and is currently illegal in all the leagues that I know of, however it does give the player a slight advantage. The command is r_drawdetailprops 0 and I don’t think I need a pic since it’s self-explanatory. *EDIT* There is also a 2nd command that will remove the grass and should be only available with cheats on if this issue is to be fully fixed (ty Sagitarius). The other CVAR is cl_detaildist 0 and does the same thing as the detailprops CVAR.

** (8) Rocket Glitches **
There are currently 2 rocket glitches that I know of. Both are not really used much from my experience, but they should probably still be fixed to make this update “final”.

-A- The 1st one is the ‘super rocket’ glitch. If a player is aiming the rocket with a wall in front of him and just to the side of his crosshair (basically the rocket will just pass by the wall), the rocket will shoot at bullet-speed and instantly explode on its target. You can easily reproduce this by having the edge of your crosshair touching a wall that’s directly in front of you and shooting the rocket.

-B- The 2nd one is the ‘land-mine’ glitch. I’m going to use a quote that I found on FragDoDS that explains this glitch well (and the 1st too):

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAYAWS
you can corner glitch with the rocket and makes it explode on the target instantly, or you can shoot the rocket at certain planters and the rockets just sit there, and you can even shoot the planters out of the way and the rockets just act like land mines

Basically the rocket will get stuck in certain objects. After the objects are moved the rocket will remain there and explode when a player hits it, acting as a land mine.

** (9) Delayed Reload **
-A- This mainly happens with the rifle grenades but happens with other guns as well. It happens to me all the time with the rifle grenade and sniper rifle. After 1 of the rifle grenades is shot and the player switches back to his gun, and then back to the rifle grenade (IE: 4 > 1 > 4), the grenade delays to reload. Even if I press the reload button to reload it, it fails to do so for several seconds, and often I have to switch between weapons a few times before it will reload the grenade. I’ve had this same issue with the sniper rifle a lot. When I run out of ammo and switched to my pistol and then later back to my rifle to reload it, the rifle fails to reload even after repeatedly pressing the reload button. This isn’t a major issue but I’ve heard a lot of people complain about it and it happens to me all the time, so I think it really should be fixed for this game to be “final”.

-B- *EDIT* I'm adding in the 'sniper full clip reload' into this category as well. I really doubt this bug is going to be fixed and it's always existed in DoDS so it's nothing new. Even if the sniper rifle only has to reload 1 bullet, the animation and delay has the player reloading the entire clip. It would be nice if the reload animation was just 1 bullet and multiplied by however many bullets needed to be reloaded. I won't be surprised or disappointed if this bug isn't fixed but if the devs have some free time on their hands (doubt it), then this would be another nice thing to fix.

** (10) Performance and Other Bugs **
Ah finally on #10 and about done writing (and reading) this massive thread. This isn’t really a bug at all but just a generalization that performance needs to be improved. I tied into this category the reg issues as well although “unproven”. *EDIT* I added the tickrate bug to this category since it is a pretty rare bug and I'm not sure where exactly the problem lies, whether it be in the game or the client. The tickrate bug will also negatively affect reg and thus, performance.

-A- I saw a major performance increase when the beta went gold and was released as the Palermo Update. I’m not exactly sure why but it ran a lot better for me and most others I talked to so that was a pleasant surprise. However the game still remains to be significantly more demanding that its previous counterpart. This isn’t really as much for me as it is all the people with low-end PCs who could run DoDS before and now after the update, cannot. These people have pretty much been left out to dry. While there’s only some leeway as to how optimized this game and its new engine can get, a small gain is going to make a much bigger difference to people with low-end PCs. A lot of people have said that many of these low-end users should buy a new PC or new parts and move with the technology, which I agree with to an extent, but some simply don’t have the $ and now cannot play a game that they could before. There’s really only so far the performance increases are going to go, but I’m sure many of these low-end users would be appreciative of a further optimized game that would be easier for them to run.

-B- *EDIT* I forgot about the 50% updaterate (aka tickrate) bug so I am including it into this category (ty coqRapide). Although not directly a performance bug, it ties into performance when only half the updates that are supposed to go out are really being sent out. I'm not going to say this is for sure a game bug, as it could be a client-side issue/bug, but there has been sufficient evidence that even with the server and client setup correctly, this bug still exists. This is very rare and I've only heard of a handful of cases, however the majority of players use the stock rates which would not reveal this bug. So most likely there are more people experiencing this 50% updaterate bug who are unaware of it because of stock rates. More info and the only existing solid-proof that I have seen thus far on the bug can be found here:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=699183
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=702087

-C- This brings me to my final topic and a highly debated one, the reg. Most of us know that the reg on the original DoDS was not perfect and it still continues to have its issues from time to time (some might say more often than others). I have personally witnessed minimal reg issues, and most were from the sniper rifle, which seems to be the most accused class for bad reg in the update. I know FuzzDad and other devs have said there are no reg problems and it has been tested many times in a more scientific environment, but you can’t deny that there is at least some validity in the many complaints on the Steam forums and the many more that go un-posted. Even that I do mostly agree with the notion that no one has any solid proof from a scientific-like server and client setup, I still think that this needs to be further looked into. If the reg issue is not looked into, I don’t think it’s going to cause a large migration away from the game considering the reg has always been complained about in DoDS and many of those players are still here playing the game. But I do think that some further progress into the issue, whether it be code optimization or simply just looking further into the issue, would make a lot of people happy. Again, the reg issue is debated a lot and isn’t fully proven, so I can understand if the devs don’t touch or look into the issue at all, but I think it would be one of those little extra things at the end that many players would appreciate.

-------------------

Well that concludes this massive thread, hopefully everyone who read it enjoyed it . I hope the devs and players read this and make some progress on many of the bugs and issues that still exist in this game. I know the devs only have so much time and $ to spend on this update before they are pulled off for a new project, but hopefully at least the major bugs can be fixed or improved upon. Feel free to flame me or debate the things I said, just please keep it constructive and on topic. I honestly feel that if the majority of these bugs (mainly the big ones) are left in the final game, DoDS has come out of the update just as buggy and “broken” as it was before going into the beta. While many of the game’s problems have been resolved or improved, there are a handful of large bugs that have since been created and continue to affect players every day.

Thanks to the devs and mods (especially FuzzDad) who have sat through all the BS and mud-slinging to make this a better game and a better community.

THE ACTUAL THREAD IS AVAILABLE HERE

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...d.php?t=701643

...please continue to add to this list.

I sticked this for people to post only about bugs, please keep it clean and valid.

-DoD Moderators

Last edited by blackout32: 12-26-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old 11-19-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Puopjik

Troll topic...

Here my list:

alt-tab bugs (list too long^^)
buggy nades with random damage
stunt trough walls
bug with object and legs (you can't move)
if you are touch in legs, you can't move for a while (for me it's a bug!)
huge lags in animations (especially the reloading of garand, other saw you firing when you are only on the middle of the animation)
Kevlar Arms & Legs (it's not my imagination...)
bumping feature when pass trough an ally, annoying....
if you pick an ennemy rifle, you can't roll your weapons in any order cause you don't have nades
Numerous bug with rocket classes (instant rockets, jumping bug, ghost rockets...)

etc etc...
Old 12-02-2008, 11:53 AM   #3
coqRapide

Banned
Very comprehensive thread.

I can confirm that the 50% ticrate bug is hardware related - but only when combined with the OB engine. The same hardware gets 100% tic on the pre-OB engine, as well as dod 1.3.

I swapped out hardware to a newer set and everything works as it should.

Other than that, excellent list
coqRapide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
Stuckinabox

If we're going to have a sticky bug list the thread starter needs to keep track of all of them in OP.
Stuckinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 AM   #5
Janobi

Volunteer Moderator
Your wish has been granted, Try only posting bug stuff also please provide any videos or screens to help out if you see any hardcore bugs. Try not to show exploits, PM a Moderator if you do catch one(otherwise it will be abused).I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread for colorful commentary, so don't be surprised if you don't see it later.

Keep up the good work fells

Last edited by Janobi: 12-03-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Janobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:47 PM   #6
gyvi

sv_alternateticks 0 will help for the 50% updaterate problem.

If anyone user multicore settings, and the game freezes randomly, try this settings:

mat_queue_mode 2
r_threaded_particles 1
r_threaded_renderables 1
r_threaded_client_shadow_manager 1
r_queued_decals 0
r_queued_post_processing 0
r_queued_ropes 0
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
cl_threaded_client_leaf_system 1
cl_interp_threadmodeticks 1

Last edited by gyvi: 12-03-2008 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Another tips
Old 12-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Punishment

To clarify about the rocket landmine glitch, it can also occur with static props as well.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...est_v10006.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...est_v10010.jpg
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
FuzzDad

Volunteer Moderator
Let's do our level best to keep this to bug reports...not comments or wish lists...okies?

Old 12-04-2008, 05:27 AM   #9
AnAkIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyvi View Post
sv_alternateticks 0 will help for the 50% updaterate problem.

If anyone user multicore settings, and the game freezes randomly, try this settings:

mat_queue_mode 2
r_threaded_particles 1
r_threaded_renderables 1
r_threaded_client_shadow_manager 1
r_queued_decals 0
r_queued_post_processing 0
r_queued_ropes 0
cl_threaded_bone_setup 1
cl_threaded_client_leaf_system 1
cl_interp_threadmodeticks 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by coqRapide View Post
Very comprehensive thread.

I can confirm that the 50% ticrate bug is hardware related - but only when combined with the OB engine. The same hardware gets 100% tic on the pre-OB engine, as well as dod 1.3.

I swapped out hardware to a newer set and everything works as it should.

Other than that, excellent list

I've just tested it, and he's right, sv_alternateticks do the 50% tickrate thing, and if you open dxsupport.cfg, you'll see that it sets sv_alternateticks value depending of your CPU and DXLEVEL.

I guess 50% tickrate is not a bug then, it's just the way it should be.

sv_alternateticks 1 just divide the tickrate per two.

Or maybe it is a bug with sv_alternateticks. Anyway just disable it to fix.
You have to set it to 0 before entering a server.

And the ALT+TAB bugs should be fixed if DoD S is updated to L4D Engine.
AnAkIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #10
hl2_exe

Banned
BUG:

r_queued_decals 1
r_queued_post_processing 1

doesn't work.

All other multithreading commands work perfectly but adding those two gives extra 10fps for 5-10 minutes before it crashes.
hl2_exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #11
Punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzDad View Post
Let's do our level best to keep this to bug reports...not comments or wish lists...okies?
Heh? My screenshots were just confirming the rocket glitch.
Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:34 AM   #12
coqRapide

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAkIn View Post
I've just tested it, and he's right, sv_alternateticks do the 50% tickrate thing, and if you open dxsupport.cfg, you'll see that it sets sv_alternateticks value depending of your CPU and DXLEVEL.

I guess 50% tickrate is not a bug then, it's just the way it should be.

sv_alternateticks 1 just divide the tickrate per two.

Or maybe it is a bug with sv_alternateticks. Anyway just disable it to fix.
You have to set it to 0 before entering a server.
Either way, its a bug - it functions in two different methods depending on the hardware of the pc.

Any word on what that cvar is supposed to do?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:09 AM   #13
AnAkIn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hl2_exe View Post
BUG:

r_queued_decals 1
r_queued_post_processing 1

doesn't work.

All other multithreading commands work perfectly but adding those two gives extra 10fps for 5-10 minutes before it crashes.
This is not a bug. VALVe said the only fully working multi cores commands are snd_mix_async and host_thread_mode for the orange box engine. Those cvars were removed on the new L4D Engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coqRapide View Post
Either way, its a bug - it functions in two different methods depending on the hardware of the pc.

Any word on what that cvar is supposed to do?
I don't know what it is for really.

This cvar has no effect on the tickrate at all in old source engine games (CSS, HL2DM), and it only affects it in orangebox + L4D engine games.

It is not used in L4D though, because it is not set in dxsupport.cfg (the file which set the video settings depending of dxlevel, card, etc).
AnAkIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #14
Goat

Sniper Exploit

This is about the Sniper rifle exploit where after you shoot the sniper rifle you swap to pistol and it reloads the pistol and you bring the sniper back up and its already reloaded. Which the pistol reloads faster. This needs to be fixed so that people who do this when they swap back to sniper it has to reload because it was never reloaded in the first place.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:01 PM   #15
coqRapide

Banned
it doesnt stop the reload at all, it just stops you from going back into scope.

cl_autorezoom 0 does the same thing, and will get it up faster.

Not a bug at all.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source