Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Hoboparty

Transmission (end spoilers) Anything to it?

Those who have beaten the game will have heard the phone number given when the Megatome is uploaded: 4086342806

I've heard that this number used to give a message about returning when the Dark Moon reigns. I called it a few days ago and it just played part of a song from the game, with no voice. I have also read another report of the voice message saying "long live the new flesh," which is (more spoilers) what the altars around the White Stag say in the well.

Is this just more of the game's 4th wall business with no point to it?

(The Twitter account by this number is fan made, there is nothing useful about it. There is an official Twitter for the game called the1console though)

You can listen to the transmission over again in the song "The Whirling Infinite" from the game's soundtrack. Oddly, the track that plays after unlocking the "?" content and viewing it at the main menu isn't included in the soundtrack, but it has a voice in the background saying things like "you are the initiated" and "long live the new flesh."

So, has anyone else ever tried calling the number? Have you gotten different messages? Does it make a difference if you call from Skype?

Maybe it's something else other than a phone number, and maybe the voice message is different depending on the phase of the moon.

Last edited by Hoboparty: 05-04-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
fiddler6

CAPY!
I love all of the thought you've put into this. You're kind of making my mind explode with conspiracy theories and I like it!
fiddler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
blind_mind

"Long live the new flesh" is a reference to a movie by the name of Videodrome which is all about the effects television, or maybe even media in general, has on individuals. It's a pretty bizarre/disturbing movie.

I'm not entirely surprised by the reference since S&S directly discusses its effects on the player. It also addresses the idea that the player is the one in control, which is sort of an illusion.

There are a bunch of references in this game, too. I even caught one in regards to Twin Peaks.
blind_mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Hoboparty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddler6 View Post
I love all of the thought you've put into this. You're kind of making my mind explode with conspiracy theories and I like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_mind View Post
"Long live the new flesh" is a reference to a movie by the name of Videodrome which is all about the effects television, or maybe even media in general, has on individuals. It's a pretty bizarre/disturbing movie.

I'm not entirely surprised by the reference since S&S directly discusses its effects on the player. It also addresses the idea that the player is the one in control, which is sort of an illusion.

There are a bunch of references in this game, too. I even caught one in regards to Twin Peaks.
Thanks, maybe I'll watch that movie. I think you're quite right about their reasons for referencing it.

I called the number on the night of the full moon, but alas, there was no change in the recording.
Hoboparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:57 AM   #5
oktal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoboparty View Post
I called the number on the night of the full moon, but alas, there was no change in the recording.
What about the night of the dark moon?
oktal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Tigeris01

This bothered me so much I posted a topic on Reddit about it.

I'm just left feeling incomplete at the game's conclusion. I don't want to martyr(murder?) the sylvan. I'm really left with a feeling of responsibility and inevitability about it though. So when we finally banish the deathless specter and play the EP we're revealed with a...phone number? 4086342806 That's the climax of the game? That's what we sacrificed the sylvan for?

Here are two links to an earlier version of the recording at that number:

The best transcript I can come up with for those are:
Quote:
"Begin Transmission" music from the moon grotto "Return if you can (?) garbled(coughing?). Please (?) return garbled" "End Transmission"
or perhaps

Quote:
"Begin Transmission" music from the moon grotto "Return if you can(?) when the dark reigns(?) return garbled" "End Transmission"
When I called the number today, however, there's a longer segment of music (not moon grotto either) and no dialogue.

EDIT:There's nothing in the official soundtrack I can find that resembles the music on the current recording.

The Archetype puts an emphasis on the use of social media on the outcome of the game. As it stands, I haven't been able to find much online discussion of the end at all. There are still questions to be answered: Who is the Archetype and why does he direct you? Was the Sylvan's sacrifice ultimately heroic or was she simple manipulated by the player? What does her sacrifice ultimately accomplish?

UPDATE:

Here's some information/background on the plot from the website.

Quote:
As an un-named god in a bronze age mountain wilderness, the player is tasked with guiding a female warrior monk referred to as 'The Scythian' on a woeful errand [...] The attentive player may be presented with opportunities to kill or not to kill, to cheat or not to cheat, in order to complete The Scythian's woeful errand & eventually condemn the ailing monk to death at the summit of the eternal mountain knows as Mingi Taw.

Last edited by Tigeris01: 07-09-2012 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Update
Tigeris01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
kekeke

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind_mind View Post
Freaky, I completed this game today and watched Videodrome last night.
kekeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:30 PM   #8
Poki#3

I'd like to call that phone number, but because I'm from Europe I'm worried about racking up a huge phone bill :/
Things like this fall apart a bit when people from all over the world play the game...
Poki#3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 06:25 AM   #9
Tigeris01

Japanese Trading Cards

There are now some trading cards/stickers that can be unlocked through the Japanese version of the game. They probably don't have any relevance to the ending, but here's a permanent link to the set of them just in case.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
Emerica_7

I know how many of you feel and I felt sad when I reached the ending yet completely thrown into wonder, interest, and confusion. So I have researched many forums and boards and most of them have the same discussions as the ones here, but I have come across the possibility of a occurrence in the game on a certain date when the moon is dark and maybe when the moon is full.

" Yet more spoilers (highlight)
I recorded the call and I'm pretty sure at the end of the tranmission shortly before the beep I can hear a small portion of the song that plays in the moon grotto when changing the moon phases. There's no full, half or new moon on May 4th or April 5th though. There is a new moon on April 3rd and one on May 3rd.
Nevertheless I'll make sure to open S:S&S EP on May 4th and April 5th to see if anything happens." Quoted by lastfuture on this message board, http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...t=88790&page=2

I feel that there's more to the ending and something needs to be put together like a puzzle to understand it. Then again there could be the chance there is nothing to it except our interpretation. But since the transmission was very mysterious and was placed at the ending for a purpose that renews my hope that there is more to the game. I'll try emailing the makers and ask them directly.

This question and wonder is constantly in my thoughts.
Emerica_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #11
Tigeris01

Please let us know if you receive anything from the developers!
Old 08-21-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Phen0m

Lightbulb

Hello there!
I quote myself from the other thread (it will be indeed fine to merge them, if it's possible):
Quote:
Hi there!
I'm new to Steam forums, and this is indeed my very first post. Why did I post there? Hell, yeah, because of S&S EP. Actually, not quite because of the game itself (which I found rather poor), but because of the folklore and the surrounding mysteries...
So, yeah, I finished the game and it made me think a lot. I am indeed surprised I didn't find more forums discussing this topic (except the toucharcade.com one).

Firstly, I would like to say that the first post of this thread contains a wrong information: the twitter account linked to the transmission is not fanmade. We have no proof it is, and it has been set up prior to the release of the game. Moreover, I think he said things a fan could hardly (talking about the japan localization of the game), though I can't check because Twitter somehow bugs right now on my computer. Tweetfella is referencing the 'Summit of Mingi Taw' in the description of his account (https://twitter.com/4086342806), indicating that he is linked to this final event.
Then, did you hear about Moon Grotto 7"? In collaboration with Brandon Boyer (indie games' godfather), scientific american is releasing a vinyl which contains a remix of the Moon Grotto song + another one (it can be heard here: http://scntfc.bandcamp.com/). This obviously is a big deal. Both the vinyl itself and the songs. Sworcery devs have been clearly saying that this was a new piece of the puzzle (e.g. Tweetfella here: https://twitter.com/4086342806/statu...17505784729601 ). More importantly maybe, there is a clip related to this music: http://vimeo.com/46100662 . Take time to watch it and it will be rather obvious: http://www.stockme.fr/img22a2c91e1d/...tto_7_maze.png . This maze seems like an obvious clue. I'm surprised nobody talked about that. What if it can be solved by changing moon's phases?
Also, I've scanned the entire soundtrack yesterday, which may be part of the puzzle, but I didn't find anything, and it struck me. I really thought I would find something. "Scanning" here means that I analysed their spectrograms (an example, with "Bonus Track intro" from S&S EP ost: http://www.stockme.fr/img86899438b5/...rack_Intro.png , which may be the weirdest I got) to see if there were hidden images (see Portal 2 ARG for an example, or Fez OST hidden images (I made a video about those)). I made this with Sonic Visualizer, and it's very very simple to do if you want to give it a try (ask me how, you just have to click a button). I also scanned both Moon Grotto 7" songs, ripped (then deleted of course) from bandcamp, without success.
Thirdly (or something along those lines): the phone call. It answers very different things, depending on moon's phases (http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/62527...ry-ep/58923900). Seems like the Dark Moon is an important phase...
Fourthly, I've read the credits (click on the (i) on the bottom-left of the main menu), and it reads "Shout out to Brandon Boyer aka @brandonnn, Matthew Kumar aka @mathewkumar & Jason DeGroot aka @jason6955 for aligning the stars. #sworcery". "aligning the stars" may refer to discovering the mysteries of S&S EP. Some people (including Brandon Boyer) are initiated.

In a nutshell, this "thing" implies: the Moon Grotto, the moon itself (the time, maybe a particular date, etc... ), Moon Grotto 7", Superbrothers, Capy and other S&S EP devs, the phone number and the twitter account.

It takes me a lot of time to figure out all this, and the remaining question will always be: is it worth? When people first discovered the twitter account, they said all it was doing was giving them the release date of S&S EP OST; now, if we want to "keep digging" (as they tirelessly keep repeating), we have to buy Moon Grotto 7" vinyl... I just hope that, in the end, it's not just another marketing technique...

In my opinion, there is no marketing bull -- because I believe in the trueness of indie games' folks -- and there is something out there we did not to discover yet. But, as the recent release of Moon Grotto 7" suggests, it could also be a matter of time: maybe we don't have enough clues to figure out and those may come along with other Capy, Superbrothers and Sworcery's related things, soon-to-be-relased.

Hope I'm not boring you by throwing this novel in one and only post.

Help and suggestions are very welcome!

Regards, and, don't forget: keep on digging.
See you!

EDIT:
Okay, it seems I'm wrong. The twitter account is indeed fanmade (proof: https://twitter.com/4086342806/statu...97646039707648). Sorry about that.

Last edited by Phen0m: 08-22-2012 at 08:53 AM.
Phen0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:34 PM   #13
spectrumfizz

My copy of the Moon Grotto 7" recently arrived, and there wasn't really much in terms of secret messages from what I could see on the packaging and vinyl. The maze is a possible clue it would seem that the way to solve the maze would be to follow the phases of the moon at each turning point - this would mean the order would be full, dark, full, half (waning), full, dark, half (waning), half (waxing), dark, full, half (waxing), full, dark, full (then possibly dark again to reach the centre of the maze). I have no idea what this might mean, or if it even has significance at all. Perhaps if someone had some free time they could play about in the moon grotto a bit?

One think that struck me about the packaging for the vinyl was the 10-by-10 grid with various sylvan sprites scattered about in a few seemingly random squares - the numbers of squares with sprites in it are as follows:

Quote:
10 12 15 33 36 37 50 52 64 68 77 89
Added up, these make the number 543. As for squares without sprites:

Quote:
01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 11 13 14 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 34 35 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 51 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 65 66 67 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100
These add up to 4507. Both numbers combined makes 5050, providing I've made no errors.

It's quite possible there may be a clue in there somewhere, whether it be another phone number or something completely different. Anyone else can feel free to play around with this data some more and try to get a more interesting result. As far as I can tell, there's not much more to the vinyl.
spectrumfizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
Phen0m

Hi guys!

What you ended up doing is interesting, good job! So, 5050 can be obtained by summing all the case numbers. Interesting. I'll try to look at the coordinates, see if I can toy with the numbers in interesting ways.

As for the rest, as usual, I quote myself from the other thread:
Quote:
Hum, so, yeah, this thread issue is boring but anyway, I read the post on the other thread, and I was thinking kind of the same.

Indeed, as for the Moon Grotto maze thing: scntfc (the musician who made the Moon Grotto song) hashtags Moon Grotto related things on Twitter '#ottorgnoom' (moongrotto spelt backward), which implies that there is something to do with the song played backward or the game played backward or anything related. But it could also imply vertical symmetry: "<['(" becomes ")']>" after a vertical symmetry, pretty much like "moongrotto" becomes "ottorgnoom". Consequently, after a vertical symmetry, this maze becomes this maze, therefore workable in the other direction... somehow...

Also, I played the Moon Grotto 7" song backward, and found those voice samples:
http://ubuntuone.com/7DqORWfxPXflvGlQOPRKyP
This one is definitely new and unknown, and I can't quite understand it wholly (but it may be due to the fact that I'm not english): http://ubuntuone.com/3LEmKVb9v56t6uUrBaBlLD ("Can you see the Moon, Eduardo?" (yeah, that's what I understood... ))
There's also this one I did not understand (maybe it's just nothing): http://ubuntuone.com/2jCqRAdTx3R0Qdiwv4VFBq
http://ubuntuone.com/1Vw0fQBHa5PjL4HVgPEYLa
http://ubuntuone.com/78OPURGxHbssQN9fka7bsa
http://ubuntuone.com/1MZ3ewKpBByopLdKgq72Ur

See you guys!

Last edited by Phen0m: 08-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Phen0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #15
Atlas91

Hey guys. Finally got around to playing this and can't wait to see where this is going. I called the phone number and got the message "Keep on digging. You are (el) close." Couldn't quite understand that one word, but that's how it sounded phonetically, like the letter "L". It was also the first day of the bright moon, if that has anything to do with what message you receive.

Also, I think the "Can you see the moon?" line is important. Maybe this is a bit of a stretch but it's kind of a strange question to ask. We can see the moon every night. There's nothing really special about that. However, what if it's a trick question? What if it's pointing to the times when you can't see the moon. An eclipse. I think calling the phone number during the eclipse will give a special message. The next eclipse is on November 28. Now, there was also an eclipse on June 4th, but as we haven't gotten all the clues or the Moon Grotto 7" I don't think we missed anything.

What do you guys think?
Atlas91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP