Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Toy Soldiers

Old 07-15-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
seanspartan7

Massive lag when firing weapons

I purchased toy soldiers yesterday and have encountered a game-breaking problem. Whenever I fire any weapon the FPS drops to less than 10 and the second I stop firing it jumps up into the 40's. This makes the game pretty much unplayable. I can max out games like metro 2033 and skyrim so I have a hard time believing this game is simply too demanding for my system. Has anyone else encountered a similar problem or found a solution?

My Specs:
i5 2500k 3.3ghz
4gb ddr3 1600
Gtx 560ti
Asus P8Z77-V pro motherboard
500gb seagate hard drive
Samsung 27in sncymaster monitor
Thanks!
Old 07-15-2012, 05:29 PM   #2
shadermodel

I suspect the issue stems from coding inefficiencies when it was converted from Xbox to PC.

I have the same problem. My specs are:
* Win XP, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Q6600, Geforce 8800GT (512MB)

It's an old PC, but, there's more than enough grunt to play a sensibly coded Xbox port. Even given the necessary overhead of writing for the Windows platform.

I've tried running at 800x600 (from 1024x768), and the performance difference is negligible.

Apparently a new patch may possibly address the performance issues, but it needs to pass certification first.
shadermodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
vvhitevvolf

try running dxdiag and turning down the hardware sound acceleration. It's a temporary fix and I hope the new patch they are working on fixes this problem.
vvhitevvolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
seanspartan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadermodel View Post
I have the same problem. My specs are:
* Win XP, 2GB RAM, Core 2 Q6600, Geforce 8800GT (512MB)
I am running windows xp as well so maybe that is the source of the problem but it still is unlikey.

I lowered the hardware sound acceleration but I only got like a 20% boost in fps, so its 12 fps instead of 10. The game is still unplayable for some reason.
seanspartan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:19 PM   #5
shadermodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvhitevvolf View Post
try running dxdiag and turning down the hardware sound acceleration. It's a temporary fix and I hope the new patch they are working on fixes this problem.
I did try that earlier - read about it on another forum. There was a noticeable - albeit minor - performance increase. But, sill unplayable unfortunately.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
shadermodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanspartan7 View Post
I am running windows xp as well so maybe that is the source of the problem but it still is unlikey.
Agreed, I doubt Win XP is the problem. My rig shouldn't have any problem running Toy Soldiers. Your one shouldn't even break a sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanspartan7 View Post
I lowered the hardware sound acceleration but I only got like a 20% boost in fps, so its 12 fps instead of 10. The game is still unplayable for some reason.
Yeah, I checked task manager and my CPU wasn't being taxed much at all. So, I'm guessing it's inefficiencies on the GPU side (?) It's ludicrous to think a 8800GT (let alone a GTX560 Ti) can't handle whatever gets thrown at a Xenos.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
bra2accas

Red face

having same problem, 9800GT win xp sp3 2gb ram
bra2accas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #8
bra2accas

Red face

anyone think it might be duel core related?
bra2accas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Blain

I also have the problem.

GeForce GTS 250
Athlon 64 X2 5600
4GB RAM
Win XP
Blain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
shadermodel

I had a squiz over at the Signal Studios forums and they've been aware of the performance issues for some time.
It appears they've tried a few work-arounds, but, with limited success.

The pending 1.1 patch is hoped to address the performance problems.

However, having noted that their response basically boils down to "buy a faster computer, or upgrade your system" then I'm reserving judgement on whether the patch will actually resolve the problem.

Quote:
I'll give you my unofficial suggested requirements:

CPU: Quad Core. I HIGHLY suggest this, at MINIMUM a insane dual core (2.8Ghz+ per core)
RAM: 4GB minimum. Seriously this is standard these days. RAM is cheap for you desktop people. 50 bucks on Newegg.
GPU: Nvidia 200 series GTX at least. For mobile I suggest a 400M series or better. As far as AMD goes I am of no help since I do not work with AMD.
And my last suggestion is to get a decent motherboard with on board sound, or get a dedicated sound card. I have a THX card in my powerhouse laptop that works wonderfully.
I do wonder if they actually know what the real problem is. They can reproduce it, but, I would've thought some profiling (or even a bit of basic debug via stdout) would've isolated where the slowdown is.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
SapientWolf

It's probably the Windows XP sound bug. There's a patch in cert so that'll be out whenever MS feels like releasing it.
SapientWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
shadermodel

Disabling the sound (hardware acceleration) does little to rectify the issue for me.
I do wonder if the issue is more related to the XNA framework they're allowed to work with.
The bad porting could be as a result (or limitation) of the development resources they have.
It's an indie game, which implies the developers may not have been registered Xbox 360 developers (originally).
Old 07-19-2012, 10:32 PM   #13
SapientWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadermodel View Post
Disabling the sound (hardware acceleration) does little to rectify the issue for me.
I do wonder if the issue is more related to the XNA framework they're allowed to work with.
The bad porting could be as a result (or limitation) of the development resources they have.
It's an indie game, which implies the developers may not have been registered Xbox 360 developers (originally).
What about disabling the sound completely?
SapientWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
shadermodel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapientWolf View Post
What about disabling the sound completely?
That works - thanks. Sorry, I thought you meant disabling Windows sound completely (instead of in-game sounds) - as I read elsewhere (which makes a subtle difference).

A bit odd playing the game with no sound, but it's as smooth as now. Should also be playable on lower spec PCs with that tweak (annoying as it is).

Far more enjoyable experience with a "normal" frame rate.

Hopefully, the patch can address the issue with the sound.
Old 11-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Xabache

XP sp3 MSI z97 i7-4790 GTX 760. Sound On horrible lag. Sound Off plays perfect. Link to a patch, I can't find it? I bought mine from www.listprice.us
Xabache is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Toy Soldiers