Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 03-06-2012, 04:34 PM   #1
Wiiplay

Weird charge on credit card?

A couple of days ago, my credit card received a charge of $0.63 without my permission or knowledge.
I'm wondering if this could be related to Steam being hacked a while back? Has anyone else experience any kind of weird card transactions since Steam was hacked in November?

Anyways, I've cancelled the card, changed my Steam password and email address, and should be getting a new card in the next week or so. Are there any other steps I should take, to ensure that my account is completely safe in the future?

Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:50 PM   #2
Wiiplay

Also, I'm aware that this is technically an account specific question, I believe this type of question, being how it's related to Steam being hacked in November, should be acceptable, and should be allowed to be visible by the public eye.

If more people are experiencing this same problem, wouldn't it be wise to get an actual list going, to see who is truly reporting account issues that could possibly be related to Steam being hacked?
Wiiplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #3
Washell

They got a list of encrypted payment details from 2004 to 2008. Most credit cards expire after 3 to 5 years which means they got a bunch of outdated information. That means that if you use that very same creditcard before 2008 on Steam, then it may have been related. If you didn't, then they got your number from another place.

Good job on cancelling the card, they often do a small, innocent looking charge to check if it's a working number, so you most likely managed to prevent more serious damage. There's nothing else you need to do Steam wise, with those two things changed you're as safe as you can be. Especially since they never got their hands on any passwords in the first place.

Last edited by Washell: 03-06-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Washell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:45 PM   #4
adz

0.63 charge of what?
adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:10 AM   #5
Wiiplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by adz View Post
0.63 charge of what?
I'm not entirely sure what the charge was for, and the name/company that the charge came from wasn't in English.
Wiiplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:17 AM   #6
TeKraken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiiplay View Post
I'm not entirely sure what the charge was for, and the name/company that the charge came from wasn't in English.
As Washell said, the perps usually do a test ping to the card to make sure it has funds available, then they go on for the sting and empty it with larger and larger amounts until it gets bounced or locked.

Good work spotting it, many don't check this stuff enough.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 02:39 AM   #7
caveman26

copy the name and post it here would help but other than that steam shows up on the bank charges so its unlikely to be them
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:30 AM   #8
Tito Shivan

It's just a card you use for online purchases only?
Did you exclusively use it for steam purchases?

If it isn't, consider most of card fraud comes from cards cloned in real life (laughably easy to do in a second)
Anyway, contact authorities (If your bank already has not done it) so they can prosecute this scammers.
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips