Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 09-07-2016, 11:41 AM   #31
Euphytose

You can detect any application trying to read the memory of your application, and ban someone for it. This is the case for all Blizzard games, and this is the case here.

If you stop cheat engine from "hooking" to the game, then you won't be banned and can have it running in the background. However, it's very risky and stupid to have it running if you don't need it.

Reading the memory means you get everything, every position, every player, everything that your client knows. Which you can then display in a window outside of the game, on another screen, which is 100% undetectable because it doesn't modify the game by injecting the information in it, like an ESP, wallhack, which directly changes what the game displays.

Do you think you shouldn't be banned for an "out of screen" maphack? Think again. Reading the memory will get you banned regardless of what you do with it. The only way is to use something that's approved by the anti-cheat. Which is precisely why the Steam Overlay was used as a cheat injector for some time.

Anti-viruses, TS, Mumble overlays, Xfire, Dxtory, Fraps, all of those programs are recognized by anti-cheats, and approved. With PunkBuster you would actually get kicked for using the Steam Overlay because it "didn't know" it, so you were removed from the game. Not banned though. This was simply because Valve got tired of sending the new signature of their overlay every time they updated it.

PB works a lot more aggressively than VAC so this is a different behavior that you won't see with VAC, but the memory rule still applies.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #32
targetbsp

If it works like that... how come people don't get banned every time a virus killer engine gets updated?
targetbsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 12:54 PM   #33
Akvalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by targetbsp View Post
If it works like that... how come people don't get banned every time a virus killer engine gets updated?
I cannot speak for all of VAC modules, but the main form of VAC is a blacklist.
When you connect to a VAC server, a VAC module nabs memory hashes of the running processes, checks file integrity, and checks for any access violations, externally loaded modules and so forth.
It then sends that hash to VAC servers, where it is processesed.
A matching hash will [a] get instantly marked for a ban, or [b] be added to the next set of bans in a banwave.

Cheating in a VAC secured game doesn't mean instant VAC ban. There have been people banned weeks after the fact. OP admitted to using Cheat Engine. Op could have hooked CE into protected services/memory quite some time ago, and finally got banned.
We can only speculate - VAC team will never tell.
Akvalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 11:44 AM   #34
AdrianM

There are people with 3 vac bans...how the heck is that even possible?
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 12:59 PM   #35
NinjaEngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Bans in different games.
NinjaEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #36
Akvalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaEngineer View Post
Bans in different games.
Also, some games share a 'universe' with other games.
Games of the same engine share the ban list, more from STEAM FAQ here
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEAM FAQ
VAC banned accounts can still play single-player games, local LAN games, and multiplayer on non VAC-secured game servers. To find non VAC-secured servers, from the Steam main menu click on View, select Servers, then select Not secure in the Anti-cheat dropdown.

Cheating in one of the following Source games or a Source mod will result in a VAC ban for all games in the list below:

Counter-Strike: Source
Half-Life 2: Deathmatch
Day of Defeat: Source
Team Fortress 2

Similarly, cheating in one of the following Gold Source games will result in a VAC ban for all games in the list below:

Counter-Strike
Condition Zero
Ricochet
Day of Defeat
Team Fortress Classic
Half-Life: Deathmatch
Deathmatch Classic
Old 10-22-2016, 01:29 PM   #37
myfaiceisfaice

You were using cheat engine and you wonder why you were VAC'd?

You need to be more watchful of what's running on your computer mate....
myfaiceisfaice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #38
Akvalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfaiceisfaice View Post
You were using cheat engine and you wonder why you were VAC'd?

You need to be more watchful of what's running on your computer mate....
Your first post, is a post in a dead thread, but you've been registered since 2013?
Good work mate - looks like you've found something worth post on since then!
Old 10-27-2016, 01:37 PM   #39
tomget

This probably wasn't hacking..You know why I think that? I play lots of shooters like various Call of Duty..mostly Ghost lately..and there's almost 1 or 2 hackers in every game. Once in while not..and all the rest of us notice. You know how..because there's no one scoring 40/2..That's right.

So I'm guessing since this hacking is a COMMON event in COD Ghost..mostly our Russian friends..so it appears by their accents and names..I'm guessing Steam can't recognize the REAL HACKERS.

If Steam could then these guys wouldn't be common in COD Ghost.
tomget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:43 PM   #40
Gyokuyoutama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akvalier View Post
Your first post, is a post in a dead thread, but you've been registered since 2013?
Good work mate - looks like you've found something worth post on since then!
If he waited that long to post, it is only because other topics didn't warrant his wisdom.

Keep track of that account, I can already tell it's an up and comer.
Gyokuyoutama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:17 AM   #41
Carnage009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
You clearly have no idea what cheat engine is if you think it's mainly used for cheating in online games.

Hint: It's not.
From Wiki:
"Cheat Engine is mostly used for cheating in computer games, and is sometimes modified and recompiled to evade detection."

You're a funny guy.
Carnage009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:20 AM   #42
Vladeslav

The only good cheater is a banned cheater.
Vladeslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #43
Euphytose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage009 View Post
From Wiki:
"Cheat Engine is mostly used for cheating in computer games, and is sometimes modified and recompiled to evade detection."

You're a funny guy.
There's a big difference between "computer games" and "online games". But since you're the type of person who quotes wikipedia I think there's no reason to even argue with you.

Also nice necro.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:22 AM   #44
Menphues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljvlego View Post
I wasn't cheating. Yes I realize cheat engine was open, as I found out valve is offended by cheat engine. If it was because of my custom anime mods those were removed. I's there a way to get a refund or my items restored. Why would I cheat. There is over 2000 dollars on that account over 4k hours of game play. Why is valve so unreasonablet, I got banned on unjust terms. I'm not like some exploiters who cheats to win games in fact I loose most of my games. Is there anyone who can help me out here?
Well I do not mean any negativity but this happens a lot on the forums. People coming here saying they did not cheat and yet showing barely any forum use.
Normally legit people I think have a fair few forum posts... You do not and VAC bans are not handed out like cakes, unless there is a reason.

IF you really did not cheat then you must of had some sort of file loaded for the cheat system to be detected. That is what I can think!
Menphues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 08:58 PM   #45
Middendorf

I did not know Cheat Engine is banned and used it to slow down game time in Wargame SP and not to cheat. No VAC ban.
Middendorf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion