Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Juarez series

Old 02-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
rocketsurgeon66

Call of Juarez (the original) kinda sucks

Found a copy of CoJ in the bargain bin, and decided to take the plunge after hearing that while the last installment of the series was a steaming pile, the first (and second) weren't all bad.

Clearly, this must have only been meant in relationship to the aforementioned last installment. I haven't really gotten very far in, but I've already quit it in disgust thrice.

Possibly, it's just me, but I really, really hate it when games gives you the impression of being open-ended sandbox style games (which I love), only to quickly be revealed as an on-rails, solve things our way, or else, kind of game.

Hell, I can even enjoy a good on-rails game every now and then, as long as they're honest about what they are. But if you present me with a bunch of game mechanics, like being able to move objects around and climb on top of them, I expect to be allowed to use them to solve problems. Not be twarted by invisible walls, and suchlike.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:51 PM   #2
pureobscure

I agree. After sitting through the 60th cut scene in the first 30 minutes of play I uninstalled it. I did not find the game fun or interesting in the slightest.
pureobscure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
mojoman0

game is pretty sweet. give it a chance, it opens up a bit later on with some free roam hunting as such. Free roam doesnt automatically make a game better btw, other aspects of the game make up for it
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
rocketsurgeon66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman0 View Post
game is pretty sweet. give it a chance, it opens up a bit later on with some free roam hunting as such. Free roam doesnt automatically make a game better btw, other aspects of the game make up for it
The thing that irks me is not that a game isn't open, but rather that it presents itself as open, and then artificially restricts the ways that I may solve the problems the game poses to me.

You know, like the game shows me hammer, forces me to learn how a hammer works, and gives me one to carry, but then, when it presents me with a nail, prevents me from using that hammer, and insists I use a moldy loaf of bread to hammer it in.
rocketsurgeon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:32 AM   #5
Redboy

I play this game few years ago, one of most memories game ever ! 9 / 10

This may look bit outdate but good trust me...you should try stay and dig it to the end you win.
Redboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Juarez series