Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Everyday Genius: SquareLogic

Old 02-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #1
TwRecks

Are errors factored into the leaderboard?

As the title. I was just curious, mainly after noticing that I had 165 errors after 9198 puzzles, and everyone around me on the leaderboard has 1000+ errors heh. Does that factor into the score at all?
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
captain_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwRecks View Post
As the title. I was just curious, mainly after noticing that I had 165 errors after 9198 puzzles, and everyone around me on the leaderboard has 1000+ errors heh. Does that factor into the score at all?
Nope.
captain_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
TwRecks

Aww... I realize that volume does matter a lot, but it would be nice if actually solving the puzzles *well* had an impact. Just sayin'...

On that note, still in curious mode, I looked at your stats heh. You, sir, are a god of quality control lol. 3100 puzzles, no errors... even if they are all Ocean that's still impressive.
TwRecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
captain_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwRecks View Post
On that note, still in curious mode, I looked at your stats heh. You, sir, are a god of quality control lol. 3100 puzzles, no errors... even if they are all Ocean that's still impressive.
Well there is an asterisk. I originally purchased the game on CD, and played it extensively offline before I bought a copy on Steam. I've had problems with the Steam version, specifically a known bug that can reset your progress without warning when playing online, and which seems to like to bite specific people under specific circumstances. I got wiped no less than three separate times, as has been discussed in older threads, and I believe the devs are aware of the bug and hope to have a fix when they are finally able to release another patch for the game.

Instead of risking more wipes in the meantime, I set upon a quest to solve all puzzles in the game in sequence from the beginning, while playing offline. I've periodically pushed my most recent save file to the cloud in order to update my public stats. I got to 3100 in about 15 hours total play time back in early Dec, and then holiday schedule plus other gaming activities interrupted. I'll get back to it one of these days soon; the fun doesn't really begin until Ocean is put to bed (OMG, pun alert). I think the whole thing can be done in about 500 hours of play time, that's the target. So there is still a looong ways to go.
Old 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Mariox

It don't factor in, but I like looking at the stats of the people around me and top players. I have to discredit Mamacat because of how many error she/he has. When you have 12,330 errors on 200 puzzles in Beyond, 60 errors per puzzle indicates she/he not doing any solving.

I think they should add a Ave error to the scoreboard list.
Mariox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:00 AM   #6
captain_video

You lose points when you go over par for a puzzle. This isn't hard to do for the smaller puzzles, but almost impssible to do even if you're just guessing on the large puzzles, since the par scores are set so high. There are various players who have run their scores up by solving puzzles quickly using guesswork, and you see them with ridiculously high error counts. However, they've each made enough mistakes at lower levels to ensure they cannot reach a perfect score.

Alas, I don't think we're ever going to see a new patch for this game, so the scoring system we have now is what it is.

I also have to revise my time estimates given in a previous post in this old thread. I don't think the entire game can be solved normally in < 1000 hours by any expert.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
TwRecks

I'm at 498 hours and on the first area of mountain + all the practice puzzles, but it's safe to say the second 3 regions are just a wee bit tougher than the first 3 lol. Some of those hours would be time under pause though, so 1000 hours in real time might be doable. I'll find out eventually one way or the other, but it will take a while.
TwRecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 AM   #8
cwangersky

It does slow down as you get further in... points per time is about constant, but later puzzles take longer to really solve. I've broken 1000 hours and I'm just about to complete Mountain...
cwangersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #9
Mariox

I like looking at the scores around mine. Sadly I have not played in over a year (much) and dropped from page 1 to page 4. Be nice if they made a new game and put in more accurate scoring. Instead of just par.

I can't believe people go threw and not bother to solve anything, and just guess.
Mariox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
cwangersky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariox View Post
I can't believe people go threw and not bother to solve anything, and just guess.
I see that so often... people spend good money on a game, then just barrel through from one end to the other, with cheats, walkthroughs, and whatever. I guess, so they can say they've finished the game. What a waste of money, IMHO. You want to spend your hard earned on a game, fine... but then enjoy it already. Life is not a race.

<End rant>
cwangersky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:43 AM   #11
captain_video

I'm a bit saddened by the fact that Ken and Squirrel seem to have abandoned us, because it would be an easy thing for them to fix, and they had talked once upon a time about making another patch to the game (to fix the stat page errors, and perhaps add in more content). I would pay for a DLC in an instant if that's what it took, but I don't know what their situation is now.

The guy who made his run to the #1 spot on the leaderboard made over 500,000 errors (!). For a while it looked like he was solving puzzles and making gradual progress, and then I guess something snapped and he randomly clicked his way through the rest to finish the game and claim his high score. But the joke will be on him, because his score isn't perfect and he will get passed by sooner or later. The only thing he can do then is start over.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Everyday Genius: SquareLogic