Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #61
Metal_Izanagi

The current state of this game makes me sad. The demo was so amazing, and...then this. I played through the SP campaign in a day, was amazed at how it just kinda fizzled out at the end, and went to MP to get some more chainsword action.

Of course, since I had pre-ordered the game, I also had to wait a month for the co-op mode that was /supposed/ to ship with it to be ready. And then longer, because THQ is really great at this DLC thing. So I get the co-op MP, enjoy it immensely, but find that no matter what configuration I use, the sound skips around like a horrible DJ is running the game at a wedding or something. I gave up on competitive MP because of the lag issues I experienced every time I tried to play, where some dork would teleport in from behind a wall, catch me with multiple stalker bolter hits, then disappear before I had a chance to even register that a person was there.

Add to that the sickening amount of cosmetic DLC that's selling for ridiculous prices.(Seriously, a gold reskin of the chainsword and bolter? What the hell Relic, what's next, skin...oh wait you did do skins.) Don't even get me started on how they managed to cut the MP community into THREE bits, first charging for the second part of co-op, despite it being the same thing but on the other team, and then charging for a new VS game mode.

It's a load of crap, and I'm just about tired of it. I can only give this piece of crap so many chances before I move on to better games, and the same should go for anyone here that really wanted to like this game, but finds themselves conflicted over the rampant idiocy of Relic and THQ.
Metal_Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 AM   #62
One_Eye

Yeah very true Metal. And despite the expected and normal trolls who actually don't have a clue about the issue and just need to be 'that guy', i think most of the community who are making negative comments about this game are driven by that very simple feeling, sadness. Its so sad that such a brilliant game that truly brought the Warhammer world together and which actually captures how i always thought a space marine would look and sound like, and yet somehow manage to completely clusterf*** it by messing up the most important 15-20% at the end!

Graphics, movements, actions, feeling of power as a marine, enemies, the basic storyline (eg the Warhammer 40k universe and how humans are in it) are all amazing, multiplayer as it was to begin with when first released was brilliance and it literally pulled me in and held me captive for months and months! But then the campaign goes from awesome to absolute crap, then multiplayer becomes a joke and finally THQ couldn't have made it clearer they don't give a damn unless they posted a big sign stating 'to all our loyal gamers, thanks for the cash now f*** off'.

Most days i am tempted to reload the game and see if its better or worse but i then remind myself... i know the answer already.
One_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:12 PM   #63
Metal_Izanagi

Aye, I was tempted to get Chaos Rising and fire up MP again, but really, I already know that there's not going to be much in the way of co-op available anyway.

Going to give it another shot anyway, see if there's any co-op matches going. Maybe get Chaos Rising if there are enough regular matches.

Last edited by Metal_Izanagi: 03-15-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Metal_Izanagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #64
flippieflap

I had multiple conversations with people ingame about the annoyance of mostly the horrendous peer to peer hosting of MP games and i always say as a sort of closing line ''if there ever will be a Space Marine 2 released, if it wont have dedicated servers, then it will be a no buy for me sadly''.

Wich is actually quite sad, seeing the fact i pretty much own every Warhammer 40K game except the games that came before DoW1 and i love the Warhammer 40K universe, but it's clear they can't create a proper peer to peer system for a shooter, so i'm not giving them a dime just based on my hope of ''hopefully Space Marine 2 will have a better peer to peer system'', dedicated servers or nothing for Space Marine 2 (if this will ever be made) unless they release a MP demo out of good faith.
flippieflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #65
One_Eye

Same with me Flippie, i own every single game for Warhammer 40k, even that horrendous monstrosity Fire Warrior (what were they thinking...), which is probably the root for my obvious disappointment.
My hope for the future, Games Workshop has a sudden break in their 'money money money' philosophy and ditch THQ (despite the incredible work they have done thus far, all ruined by just this) to find a new team that will look at Space Marine and say 'this setup is brilliant, now lets make it playable!'.
Chances of this happening for the benefit of gamers, 4.35%... but you never know.
Old 03-18-2012, 02:14 PM   #66
AudioCG

I got over 100 hours of great fun out of this, I am aware of its faults, but 40k does not get anywhere NEAR the budget of triple A titles right now.

I'll take what I can get, 100 hours of 40k fun is pretty good in my book.

People seem to think you should get a perfect game that lasts forever, that would be nice, no question, but its not even close to realistic.
AudioCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #67
One_Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioCG View Post
People seem to think you should get a perfect game that lasts forever, that would be nice, no question, but its not even close to realistic.
Actually no-one at any point said the game should be perfect and last forever but i guess if your going to post garbage, why not get absolutely everything incorrect and put words in our mouths...

Seriously...
Old 03-25-2012, 01:50 PM   #68
AudioCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Eye View Post
Actually no-one at any point said the game should be perfect and last forever but i guess if your going to post garbage, why not get absolutely everything incorrect and put words in our mouths...

Seriously...
Keep that trolling alive man.

Yes, they have price gouged on the 40K titles, but they have also lost a ton of cash on them as well, so much so that DM looks like its pretty much done.

No money = No games.

This is the reality, some ugly stuff comes with this reality.

Sure it would have been AWESOME to have all the co op and DLC to come with the game, but the budget for 40k titles is nothing now a days, no budget = no cheap DLC/included modes.

It sucks, I know. (your calling them "corporate sellouts" but the reality is, "Trying to keep enough cash flow to stay open".)
AudioCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:03 PM   #69
flippieflap

Quote:
Originally Posted by One_Eye View Post

Seriously...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioCG View Post
Keep that trolling alive man.

Yes, they have price gouged on the 40K titles, but they have also lost a ton of cash on them as well, so much so that DM looks like its pretty much done.

No money = No games.

This is the reality, some ugly stuff comes with this reality.

Sure it would have been AWESOME to have all the co op and DLC to come with the game, but the budget for 40k titles is nothing now a days, no budget = no cheap DLC/included modes.

It sucks, I know. (your calling them "corporate sellouts" but the reality is, "Trying to keep enough cash flow to stay open".)
He's not trolling, i have to wonder if you have even read this thread and i'll respond the same way as One_Eye did, wich is stop putting words in our mouths.

We never said anything about DLC (this is why i asked if you read the thread because pretty much only the OP mentioned DLC), the major thing is the latency and i would go as far as saying 99% of us will say this is the major downside of the game at the moment.

I only started playing this game since january so i didn't play from the start, but from what i've heard from the people who have been playing from the start is that in the early months the latency was actually quite good and stable, so compare that to the current state of the game with constant host migration, crashes and then wanting something a bit more stable (like before) i wouldn't say that's such of a weird request.

PS: The whole ''THQ is going bankrupt'' rumour is highly exaggerated, THQ has always been a business of ''all or nothing'', sadly their Udraw project was pretty much nothing and costed them loads of money, but they still have several games in the work including Dawn of War 3 wich will probably make a nice profit again.

Dark Millenium though you are probably right, unless they find another company to share the costs with, that project is going down under.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:07 PM   #70
twigleaf1976

I came on here hoping to find answers as to why the game sux, 7 host changes in 1 match alone.

Instead I find lots of people thinking the same and finding the same.

The problem is at the core of it, the game is an XBOX360 game and designed on that, then ported to the PC. you have to accept that games are doing that now. You can tell from the crap aiming and stupid way that you don't stop running when you stop moving the controls. It is just gears of war 4 for me with different skins. The eingine is the same (just look at the way the background moves when you do)

That said THQ and the rest of the world have moved on despite Dalfurions odd sense of reality, the world can manage hosting, just look at anything from Halo or Battlefield 2 to modern day. They can also make it work, despite the Modern warfare 3 hosting rubbish, there are games out there and on steam like left 4 dead that work and work very well indeed with 4 players and lots of bad guys.

My personal rant is that no matter what I do, I am ALWAYS getting "cannot sync with cloud" errors, for whatever reason on a 6MB internet with 8GB RAM I can't sync, and I can't earn rewards. People mention weapon acheivements, I have yet to win one in any weapon and I have 24 hours played. They simply don't count. 77 kills with a pistol and nothing, 16 in one go with the bolt pistol and nothing. They are not even counting towards being counted, no kill streaks being recorded.

Games workshop and relic went downhill in my eyes when Dawn of war 2 just became move your squad about and do a little bit more, instead of build armies and move them about. This is just another franchise taken from the Xbox and even though I waited till mid week madness and got it half price I feel cheated.

How much for DLC when Valve do all of it for free. Not much of a business model there, shame there are too many sad people in the world that will pay £1.49 for a skin, or £6.49 to not play a map.

Then again when MW3 is slated to get 16 DLCs you can see the money grabbing nature of the business. EA started it all and the others seem to think they should follow it.

Make a good game and people will play it,(Counter Strike, Wow, star craft, Left 4 dead, team fortress 2) make DLC cheap and free and people will come back and buy it.

Make a crap piece of turd and no one cares. (Space marine)
twigleaf1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:14 AM   #71
warmaster670

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post

The problem is at the core of it, the game is an XBOX360 game and designed on that, then ported to the PC. you have to accept that games are doing that now. You can tell from the crap aiming and stupid way that you don't stop running when you stop moving the controls. It is just gears of war 4 for me with different skins.
So youve never played a gears of war game before? or are you just daft and think any third person shooter is like gears of war? (which btw is just a copy of killswitch), also, if the reason the game lags is because its a port, then please, do explain why it worked fine before? if it was becuase it was a port it wouldnt hav weqworked from the beginning, nice try though, get more information next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post

Games workshop and relic went downhill in my eyes when Dawn of war 2 just became move your squad about and do a little bit more, instead of build armies and move them about. This is just another franchise taken from the Xbox and even though I waited till mid week madness and got it half price I feel cheated.
So they went downhill, by making the game CLOSER to the lore that its based off of?
so basically your just another whiner that cant stand that its not a spam units game anymore, which isnt what 40k is about.
and for a franchise thats taken from the xbox, its funny that space marine and kill team are the only 40k games that have appeared on the xbox, 95% of them are pc only.

Last edited by warmaster670: 03-27-2012 at 12:19 AM.
warmaster670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:04 AM   #72
flippieflap

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmaster670 View Post
its funny that space marine and kill team are the only 40k games that have appeared on the xbox, 95% of them are pc only.
Aaaaw why did you mention kill team, i wanted that so bad on the PC (still do).

Though i do not fully agree with twigleaf1976 his post, i will agree with him on the fact that if this would've been a PC only game (instead of relic having to divide their attention to 3 platforms) then i think this would've been a lot more of a stable game.

Last edited by flippieflap: 03-27-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:03 PM   #73
Circlestrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix210 View Post
How can you get so frustrated by a game yet you claim to have 300+ hours of multiplayer? I would have erased the game LONG before that.
I was wondering the same thing. It must not be that messed up, and still quite playable, at least that what the devs are thinking, evidently.
Circlestrafe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine