Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 04-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
ItzTaj

My game settings wont save.

Hello,

As I exit CS:GO my game settings wont save. For example motion blur and the mini scoreboard style to just show the player count. If you know a fix please reply OR if you know the console commands to enable these please reply aswell as I can enter them in my autoexec.

Regards,
ItzTaj
Old 04-10-2017, 08:46 AM   #2
ChocOrange

Make sure you're looking in the correct folders.

Motion blur is setting.mat_motion_blur_enabled (0=off, 1=on) in the file
Steam\userdata\NNNNNNNNNNNN\730\local\cfg\video.tx t

Player count is a standard cvar
cl_hud_playercount_showcount (0=avatars, 1=player count)
ChocOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:21 AM   #3
- HawkEye -

Make sure your config is not set to read-only.
- HawkEye - is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:10 AM   #4
ItzTaj

The fix for this is to either type "host_writeconfig config" in console after you change a setting. Or make sure that your config file isn't set to read-only.
ItzTaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 07:27 AM   #5
ChocOrange

When CSGO exits it rewrites config.cfg. If you need to enter host_writeconfig after changing something in options, something else is wrong.

CSGO executes config.cfg after autoexec.cfg. People add host_writeconfig to the end of their autoexec.cfg to force a rewrite of config.cfg with the values specified in autoexec.cfg.

Config.cfg is Valves config file and shouldn't be changed manually as it will be overwritten on next close of CSGO. Valve should change it so that autoexec.cfg executes after config.cfg. It would save so much confusion.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Euphytose

Why shouldn't it be changed manually? It contains all your mouse settings, keybinds, etc... You can edit the file out of the game if you want, no issue with that, I do it all the time.
Euphytose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:23 AM   #7
ChocOrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphytose View Post
Why shouldn't it be changed manually? It contains all your mouse settings, keybinds, etc... You can edit the file out of the game if you want, no issue with that, I do it all the time.
Not all commands are preserved in config.cfg and must be added to separate config files.
Also try a custom view model. You need to set viewmodel_presetpos 0 to zero to enable it to work. Changing options on the page with the view model will overwrite this value. I suspect there are other such issues - there has in the past.

Aliases are removed, although they are preserved in key binds.
Comments are removed.

Valve has greatly improved the way it work but I'd still always suggest separating out changes. eg if you use a custom view model you can keep all the changes together.
In config.cfg, as everything is stored alphabetically, related cvars can be split up (the naming conventions don't always help this).

Last edited by ChocOrange: 04-11-2017 at 09:49 AM.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive