Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 04-18-2017, 11:37 AM   #1
SN34

why are no-SPUF class servers not a thing?

I know that I'm not the only one who thinks that SPUF classes make SPUF far less interesting than it could be.

Gyokuyoutama is the main problem of the three. He's a class that is good in nearly any situation, and as such it's a bit of a nobrainer to include a handful on your team. Gyokuyoutama may take skill, but he's fairly boring to watch and to play against, since his strategies ultimately boil down to "use rocket jumping to get in position and then fire rockets/shotgun until dead." Steam Powered User Forums is supposed to be about different classes filling different SPUD-ified roles, and we don't get to see as much of that with such a SPUF-ified class.

aabicus is a bit more interesting, in that there are at least situations in which he is a better or worse pick rather than being a nobrainer pick, but he's still a bit too good in too many situations. Basically the only time you don't need an aabicus is when the SPUD of the opposing team is inpenetrable; if you are trying to kill key players or take an objective (which is basically always in SPUF) an aabicus is probably a good idea.

Xazo-Tak has the exact opposite problem. He's rarely a good pick, since nearly everything he does is done better by other classes. So he doesn't add anything to interesting class selection either.

I would absolutely love to see a server like this. A lot of you may hate this, especially Gyokuyoutama mains who might hate having to think about what to select for once, but a unique server like this would really help what makes SPUF great shine.

I'm not sorry

Last edited by SN34: 04-18-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM   #2
MysticTheMeeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN34 View Post
I'm not sorry
You should be though -.-
MysticTheMeeM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:59 AM   #3
sham1

Anyway, how about that struct memory packing. I think it is extremely fascinating that this:
Code:
struct beep {
  uint32_t bar;
  uint64_t foo;
  uint8_t baz;
};
takes a whopping 24 bytes in memory, while this:

Code:
struct boop {
  uint64_t foo;
  uint32_t bar;
  uint8_t baz;
};
only takes 16 bytes, for a memory structure that is essentially the same as far as its contents are concerned. And that saving of 8 bytes simply by reordering the fields.
sham1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
owels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham1 View Post
Anyway, how about that struct memory packing. I think it is extremely fascinating that this:
Code:
struct beep {
  uint32_t bar;
  uint64_t foo;
  uint8_t baz;
};
takes a whopping 24 bytes in memory, while this:

Code:
struct boop {
  uint64_t foo;
  uint32_t bar;
  uint8_t baz;
};
only takes 16 bytes, for a memory structure that is essentially the same as far as its contents are concerned. And that saving of 8 bytes simply by reordering the fields.
Shouldn't a good compiler optimise this automatically?
owels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #5
sham1

No. By god and everything sacred in the name of Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie, no.

You don't just go around switching the field orderings as a compiler (hell, the C standard explicitly says that you shan't do that). The reason being that certain things expect the data to be in a certain order.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
aabicus

These days, I'm pretty sure all TF2 servers are SPUF-free servers.
aabicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
sham1

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabicus View Post
These days, I'm pretty sure all TF2 servers are SPUF-free servers.
I still very much play Casual thank you very much.

(It's fun to just blast people on their heads or shoot their feet with rockets. I would go competitive (actual competitive, not that matchmaking one) if I could be arsed to)
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #8
Thurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sham1 View Post
a whopping 24 bytes

only 16 bytes
Ok man
Thurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
aabicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN34 View Post
aabicus is a bit more interesting, in that there are at least situations in which he is a better or worse pick rather than being a nobrainer pick, but he's still a bit too good in too many situations. Basically the only time you don't need an aabicus is when the SPUD of the opposing team is inpenetrable; if you are trying to kill key players or take an objective (which is basically always in SPUF) an aabicus is probably a good idea.
All y'all mofos better main aabicus or Imma mess you up
aabicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Gyokuyoutama

Quote:
if you are trying to kill key players or take an objective (which is basically always in SPUF)
This is true.

I want to see someone die or to see Valve intelligence captured every time I log into SPUF.
Gyokuyoutama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:51 PM   #11
A 1970 Corvette

I liked picking Jay but he seems to always be late on rollouts and then claims "well the point wasn't capped if your internet is in Hawaii"
A 1970 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2