Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 04-21-2017, 06:00 AM   #46
TuxedoRex

Thanks for the advise, but I actually have fun when I play this game, so I don't think I'm going to emulate the guy who claims to lose 80% of all casual matches and IS SO MAD ABOUT IT.

lmao "badlands is not a good map," good joke.
TuxedoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #47
BooleanBacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoRex View Post
Thanks for the advise, but I actually have fun when I play this game, so I don't think I'm going to emulate the guy who claims to lose 80% of all casual matches and IS SO MAD ABOUT IT.

lmao "badlands is not a good map," good joke.
Badlands isn't the issue, it's the morons who cannot for the life of them figure out how to defend a capture point. Great map in competent play, awful when everyone needs to be a Sniper or Spy and your team gets rolled straight to hell
BooleanBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #48
123PistolPete

The best pub I played on in recent memory was badlands. Player skill and coordination was about twice to three times as high as most pubs (possibly because of comp pedigree?) It lasted a long time with a lot of back and forth. It can be rolls but that is usually dependent on one team having a bunch of players that don't know the map or how 5cp works.

Badwater is also good although it can suffer from choke syndrome in places if you have the full 12v12.

Personally I don't mind hightower and turbine as pure dm although it feels like hightower in particular forms about 70% of maps I am connected to these days which wears really thin, really fast. I have blocked 2fort and suijin as I find them not enjoyable at all, dustbowl is awfully made but can on occasion be enjoyable.
123PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 07:46 AM   #49
TuxedoRex

I only play 5cp and koth anymore. It's good. I mean don't play Suijin though, sure. Not every map in those categories is good.

Every once in a while I remind myself why I don't play payload and try a match on Upward or Badwater or whatever, and every time it's really obvious that one team is way better than the other, but that doesn't stop it from being a boring drawn-out stalemate on both rounds!

At least a steamroll on 5cp only takes a couple minutes and then I can move on to a good match.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #50
Meadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoRex View Post
Refills are better because they don't demoralize the server, and I'd say it's debatable that they take longer (assuming we're talking pre-Smissmas refills which is what we want).

For an auto-scramble to be faster than the good refills we had pre-Smissmas, it would either need to be so sensitive that any imbalance in numbers would set it off instantly, or it would require a mass exodus of 4+ players from the same team at once. Refills are better because they can prevent the problem from getting bad enough to require a scramble.
If I recall correctly, the old auto-scramble would trigger whenever a team had 2+ players more than the other, regardless of how many players were on the server. The only thing delaying the scramble was the fact that only dead players were moved, starting with the first one to die. Players could also manually vote for a scramble, if the auto one didn't succeed in balancing the team.

The notion that refills are better because they can prevent such a player discrepancy from occuring in the first place is both optimistic and unrealistic. In my experience, team balance - in terms of numbers - has gone down noticably since the Matchmaking update precisely because it takes more time to solve the problem via refills than it did for autobalance, even during the "good" pre-Smissmas period when refills started to actually work like most people probably envisioned.

On the whole, I'm okay with refills as a concept and balancing tool, but not as the only way of balancing the teams. There needs to be other systems in place that complement refills in different ways and allow for more player freedom; scrambling on map revote should be mandatory, and manual scramble and manual team switching should make a return (with the same limitations as before), along with ad-hoc connections. Currently, it's too easy to play with your friends (making stacking very easy) and too difficult to play against them (queue for the same map and cross your fingers, or queue together and wait for a team imbalance to occur mid-game, then switch if prompted).
Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:46 PM   #51
TuxedoRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
On the whole, I'm okay with refills as a concept and balancing tool, but not as the only way of balancing the teams. There needs to be other systems in place that complement refills in different ways and allow for more player freedom; scrambling on map revote should be mandatory, and manual scramble and manual team switching should make a return (with the same limitations as before), along with ad-hoc connections. Currently, it's too easy to play with your friends (making stacking very easy) and too difficult to play against them (queue for the same map and cross your fingers, or queue together and wait for a team imbalance to occur mid-game, then switch if prompted).
I pretty much agree with all of this paragraph. I harp on refills so much because it demonstrably improved- or rather, their removal diminished- game quality to a surprising degree.

But yeah, scramble on map change for sure.
A good autobalance would do no harm.
I absolutely agree that matchmaking needs to allow friends to play against each other and allow friends to join into servers that have empty slots.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2