Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #33766
Ishan451

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
It would be nice if Al ate some of my neighbours!
No can do... Al is on a health trip.. something about a great cleanse and kelp...
Ishan451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:24 AM   #33767
AsheMan

I'm not sure when this started, but Amazon appears to now offer money for trading-in games you've purchased from Amazon. They claim I could get $30 for trading in my copy of Horizon Zero Dawn.
AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #33768
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
Would you get it at that price?
I would have to say no. It's a great laptop but extremely expensive, for that price I could build a monster desktop gaming PC, in fact my gaming PC cost a lot less than that to build. You're paying a lot for the convenience of a laptop.

Any laptop, no matter how good, has certain problems and limitations pretty much common to all laptops. It has a small laptop drive, it may be good but it's not going to be a really great performer and isn't likely to last as long under heavy use as a full size HDD. Heat is another problem in laptops, particularly a high performance device that you expect to do a lot of gaming on. Sure it has good graphics but that doesn't amount to much on a small screen, you can hook it up to a bigger screen but that kind of defeats the purpose of having a laptop, and you're going to be shelling out more money for a larger screen.

It's also not very expandable which can be a problem over time. It only has 3 USB 3 ports. Also, that model would be better with 32 GB RAM, and at that price that's what I would expect, so you're probably going to end up spending more money on RAM.

Based on the reviews it's a good mid-range gaming laptop but that still implies a lot of limitations. If you're going to spend that kind of money on a comp I would have to say you'd be far better off building your own desktop. You're spending a lot and trading off a lot just for portability and if that's an issue for other things apart from gaming then for what you're thinking of paying you could build a great desktop and still have enough left over for a lower priced laptop mainly for other uses apart from gaming. I'd give it all some pretty careful thought.
dxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #33769
Ishan451

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsheMan View Post
I'm not sure when this started
Before 2010, for the US. And its not just limited to Games, but also things like Electronics (Phones, Pads, etc) and iirc Books.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #33770
Ishan451

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertzar View Post
stumbled on a great Asus [...] laptops.
My wife bought herself a laptop for christmas. First one was a Lenovo, and after i finally talked her into returning it, she now has an Asus.. and both are Duds. She's extremely unhappy with both of them.

Her Lenovo would stop using the Mousepad, freezing the mouse... and her Asus goes into standby mode if you do not plug in an external mouse.

Dunno what it is with Laptops these days.. but 2 for 2 with mousepads is astounding.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:59 PM   #33771
marie pavie

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/spaceimages...hp?id=PIA21445
marie pavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 PM   #33772
Snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishan451 View Post
Well.. at least the CDC doesn't seem to think there is a difference...

I get the impression the CDC considers bat droppings to be so hazardous that you shouldn't even be near it. Proximity alone seems to require health checks.
To be fair, you can get extremely sick from bird droppings as well, you're supposed to use a full respirator. And most people don't make a big fuss about pigeons living on the streets.

I wonder if the library cleaners use respirators.
Snorkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:25 PM   #33773
AsheMan

The CDC probably says it's best to avoid nearly all kinds of poop.
AsheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #33774
MADDOGGE

Quote:
That was my point. You still need some kind of a device to read it and that device is likely filthy!
I don't even want to think about the bioshere of my keyboard, Ekkkkkkk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
I've seen the skimpy beginnings of a nest at a car mirror. It's mating season.
LOL, beats a full blown and inhabited wasp nest in the side mirror like I had last year.

Quote:
50 days after my initial order and my new bed sheets have finally arrived. They feel pretty nice. They're made from tencel fabric, which I haven't really heard of, but feels silky smooth and supposed to cool easily.
I looked it up. Interesting fabric but never heard of it before either. Made from wood fiber like rayon & paper are. Supposed to be better for the environment, supposed to be, LOL. Only time will truly tell. Enjoy being an avant-garde trend setter.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 02:37 PM   #33775
Snorkel

DIE WASPS DIE
Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 PM   #33776
Snorkel

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9178...oup-email-list

That ought'a do it!
Old 04-21-2017, 02:51 PM   #33777
Snorkel

So I stopped blocking ads on Youtube, because some of the channels I like are charities and I can at least help with their advert income...

So can anyone tell me what the deal is with the "Skip" function?

I thought it was that once you've seen 5 seconds, you can skip and that's enough. But some people say that you have to watch 30 seconds or the whole advert if <30s in order for the ad revenue to happen? And skipping is only for if you really object to the ad and never want to see it again?

Had trouble finding any information from anywhere reliable. Anyone know what the deal is?

The other day I was offered a fully 5 minute advert for weight loss in men. :/
Old 04-21-2017, 03:35 PM   #33778
marie pavie

The other day I lost my radio presets when I left the lights on overnight. I made the mistake of listening to some random station & now I've got this mawkish 70's ballad popping into my head all the time.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:46 PM   #33779
dxmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie pavie View Post
The other day I lost my radio presets when I left the lights on overnight. I made the mistake of listening to some random station & now I've got this mawkish 70's ballad popping into my head all the time.
Is it Afternoon Delight ? Dream Weaver ? Love Will Keep Us Together ? We've Only Just Begun ?

Now this is the really funny and kind of emotionally draining thing about Dark Souls 3, you spend hours and hours fighting all kinds of really tough enemies to get to the main boss at the end of a level, but it's hugely anti-climactic. I just took out another huge boss on the first try, after hours of reloads getting to him. It's the annoying little guy up on a ledge with a flaming crossbow that gets you, not the ginormous main boss.

Last edited by dxmc: 04-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.
dxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 04:06 PM   #33780
marie pavie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxmc View Post
Is it Afternoon Delight ? Dream Weaver ? Love Will Keep Us Together ? We've Only Just Begun ?
I don't know the name & am trying not to remember. I've pretty much lived in college towns so radio was better than many places. I looked up charting songs by year awhile back. We've had gawd awful hits thru the decades.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Off Topic

Tags
bottom of the barrel