Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Ubisoft > Cold Fear

Old 10-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #1
lastlord

Question Cold Fear does not start anymore

I played the game till the second savepoint.
After that i changed the language to german(via the Steam menu). Since that the game does not work anymore.
I delete the local content and reinstalled the game several times( with english and german language) but the error is allways the same:
Cold Fear funktioniert nicht mehr/does not work anymore
APPCRASH

I hope you have any tips for me, how to solve that.

Thanks David

Old 10-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
eHOCHx

u should contact steam support via ask a question

my problem in this game is i instal it it works good but if i quit in wont start again that means its crashing all the time i have to delete some files in the cold fear directory so steam redownload them
but hey that sucks -.- anyone got the same ?
eHOCHx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
lastlord

Talking

I solved the problem by manual deleting all cold fear files in the steam folder( The deinstaller skips some files). After that i reinstalled the game.
Now everything works fine.

Last edited by lastlord: 02-20-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: miserable grammer and missing infos
Old 07-14-2011, 03:14 AM   #4
Perfect Lynk

What I did to get this to work is that I noticed I can't set it the resolution to 1600x1200 (the highest to game will allow me to set it) and if it's at 1600x1200 and I close it, it doesn't start up again. So what I did is go into C:/Windows/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/cold fear and deleted everything except the folders (Conf, data, Saves & support).
I then went to steam application, library, right clicked on cold fear, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache (shouldn't take too long download at 400kb and up).
After verify integ finished, I was able to boot the game and set the resolution to 1280x1024(no higher). It looked really small on my screen so I exit and went to my GPU settings and enabled GPU scaling and scale image to full panel size. It has now scaled to 1080p and now looks and works perfectly.

I don't know about monitors so if you can boot the game after deleting the files and it does look small in your screen try all options of image scaling. I'm using an ATi card, so not sure how Nvidia works.

I hope this helps and works for anyone else.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:59 AM   #5
wolverine1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Lynk View Post
What I did to get this to work is that I noticed I can't set it the resolution to 1600x1200 (the highest to game will allow me to set it) and if it's at 1600x1200 and I close it, it doesn't start up again. So what I did is go into C:/Windows/Program Files/Steam/steamapps/common/cold fear and deleted everything except the folders (Conf, data, Saves & support).
I then went to steam application, library, right clicked on cold fear, properties, local files, verify integrity of game cache (shouldn't take too long download at 400kb and up).
After verify integ finished, I was able to boot the game and set the resolution to 1280x1024(no higher). It looked really small on my screen so I exit and went to my GPU settings and enabled GPU scaling and scale image to full panel size. It has now scaled to 1080p and now looks and works perfectly.

I don't know about monitors so if you can boot the game after deleting the files and it does look small in your screen try all options of image scaling. I'm using an ATi card, so not sure how Nvidia works.

everything works thanks. the only thing is I cant figure out where the gpu scaling option is for nvidia on the m11x r3. any thoughts? + rep to you either way.
wolverine1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:24 AM   #6
Perfect Lynk

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverine1974 View Post
everything works thanks. the only thing is I cant figure out where the gpu scaling option is for nvidia on the m11x r3. any thoughts? + rep to you either way.
No sorry, I only know about ATi.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
darknessviking

thank you!
it stopped working for me too!
darknessviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
dangerouSoul

Perfect Lynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Lynk View Post

IT worked =).Thanks.
dangerouSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #9
SwiftyMagee

I found a quicker way to change the resolution without deleting anything or verifying the game cache: I went to the steam folder for the game (...\steamapps\common\cold fear), right-clicked on the coldfear_retail.exe, and went to Properties. I then clicked on the "Compatibility" tab and checked "Run in 256 Colors" under the "Settings" section.

After doing all that I ran the game. The opening videos ran a little funky but the Main Menu was OK, so I was able to change the res from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024. Then I closed out of the game, went back to Properties->Compatibility and unchecked the 256 color option. The game was running perfect after that (albeit in a lower resolution than I'd like).
SwiftyMagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > Ubisoft > Cold Fear