Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City

Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
(Marxist)

Banned
After completing both games...

I have to say that Arkham Asylum is a far superior game. I can't quite put my finger on it, but for some reason I had 10x more fun playing AA than AC.

Anyone else feel the same?
Old 03-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Ave07

Yeah I kinda agree, Arkham Asylum to me felt like a survival game while Arkham City was your every summer blockbuster. Both are still great games however!
Ave07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
BC2 Cypher

I disagree.

AC improves in almost every area and has much more replay value.

The gliding is awesome, the boss battles are much, MUCH better than AA's, I enjoy the open world more, more collectibles and puzzles, side-quests are really fun especially Riddler's (I really like how he plays a bigger role in AC), Catwoman, it's much longer than AA if you do the side-quests, more high profile villains (had some of my favorites like Mr. Freeze, Two Face and Ra's al Ghul) and the story is better and deeper IMO.

I loved it way more than Arkham Asylum.
BC2 Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
trek554

Banned
I liked them both but AC has a much cooler atmosphere and more to do. only gameplay problem I have is that AC has some tedious challenges so I will never complete the game yet AA was a breeze.
trek554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
(Marxist)

Banned
Each to there own I suppose, all I'm saying is I enjoyed AA's game play better than AC's
(Marxist) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Rebellion_

AC's battle system felt more fluid; the combo timer had a little more leeway and Batman targetted things better (occasionally I would have my combo broken in AA, sadness).

The atmosphere in Asylum was pretty good but I think it's the only thing going for it over City; City improves on Asylum in almost every way otherwise.
Rebellion_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:08 PM   #7
ChiefWiggum

i can't say that AA is better per se but i CAN say that i probably had a better time playing AA because it was still novel and fresh and it's linearity was somewhat calming in a way. kinda like playing a simple mozart piece, as opposed to sibelius which is much harder on the fingers. in AA i could just waltz my way through it and i loved it every time, but AC for me is really more about the storyline. yes the gameplay still kicks but in the end it simply builds on it in a practical and pleasant way. the story OTOH was much more complex and dark and mysterious and heady. i should stop blabbing lol thanks.

PS. i think they should have made the story much longer. and moar cut scenes please! lol!

Last edited by ChiefWiggum: 03-16-2012 at 07:11 PM.
ChiefWiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:32 AM   #8
kevnb

aa was better, it was basically metroid style while ac is open world in a tedious way.
kevnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:30 AM   #9
MX83

Both are awesome but for me, I think AA has the edge.

In AC there's almost too much of everything. The riddles for instance are far too numerous and the city far too big for you to have any real chance of solving them with your intellect.

In AA you'd walk into an area, a little message would come up and it was worth keeping your eyes peeled because you actually had a fair chance of solving it. In AC I just ended up scanning anything of possible interest or until I'd found enough informers. It just becomes a chore.

The story isn't tight enough because there's too many distractions, too many characters etc. Basically too much happening all at once. Still an awesome game but AA has the superior story, atmosphere, world and pacing imo.
MX83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
ChiefWiggum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX83 View Post
The story isn't tight enough because there's too many distractions, too many characters etc. Basically too much happening all at once. Still an awesome game but AA has the superior story, atmosphere, world and pacing imo.
hmmm you may be right about your last sentence especially about story and pacing. in a way, i believe that AA could have been fixed with basically twice the storyline length to make the core progression twice as long. i think the story itself should stay the same, but idk... maybe put in more filler to make it last longer so that everything can sink in? that way, there isn't too much of that "all at once" feeling. shrug.
ChiefWiggum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
casshern09

Prefered AC by miles. Still both great games though.
casshern09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
Dealwithit07

Banned
AA developed and explored the minds of the villains. It felt like an interactive comic book. AC just seems like they tried to throw everything at you first. AA also started much better.
Dealwithit07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #13
sethius777

Arkham Asylum has a better story and atmosphere.
Arkham city is just bigger and has a ty story.
sethius777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
Michael_IEU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefWiggum View Post
hmmm you may be right about your last sentence especially about story and pacing. in a way, i believe that AA could have been fixed with basically twice the storyline length to make the core progression twice as long. i think the story itself should stay the same, but idk... maybe put in more filler to make it last longer so that everything can sink in? that way, there isn't too much of that "all at once" feeling. shrug.
That would be my one complaint with AA, it was too short. after I beat Poison Ivy I hear the fireworks and he's saying come to the party and I'm like "Crap.. that's it??" 15 minutes later... "Yep... that's it..."

It still remains one of my top 5 games of all time and I can replay it and have a blast at the drop of a hat.
Michael_IEU is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Batman: Arkham City