Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > id Software

Old 07-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
ader10

Commander Keen and DOSBox wasted space

Inside %ProgramFiles(x86)%\Steam\steamapps\common\command er keen\, there is a directory for each of the 5 games in the Commander keen pack named base1 to base5.

Inside each base directory is a separate copy of DosBox weighing 4.5 megabytes. The total combined data for all the Keen games adds up to only 2.4 megabytes. The pack could save around 22 megabytes by using one common directory for all the DOSBox-related files. The scripts to launch the games would need to be edited, of course, but that's less than a minute of work.

While this is a pretty small problem, I request an "update" that takes this space-saving approach.

Old 07-27-2011, 02:29 PM   #2
Vonje

Not to mention all other DOS games on Steam.
Vonje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
Cdr.Keen

i dunno, i'm a boy just inside this game
Cdr.Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
hollowman126

It's 22 MB's get over it. It's not alot of space.
hollowman126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM   #5
WinstonSmith

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollowman126 View Post
It's 22 MB's get over it. It's not alot of space.
Yeah, if those are the only purchased games that run via DOSbox. Well why do you assume that that's the case with everyone, dood!? It's not the case with me! I have a LOT of purchased games powered by DOSbox, not only that I've bought from Steam, but also from Good Old Games. Having like 10-thousand copies of the same program is not exactly the height of efficiency, now is it.

And hey! What about when the next ver. of DOSbox comes around, eh? You may not have known that sometimes programs are updated sometimes. But even so, well, they do.

You would seem to say that it's better to update each and every one of those, but I know that it would, if fact, be much better to update one single base DOSbox emu that runs all such games. Heh, ya learn somethin' new everyday, don't ya.

Contrary to your incomplete reasoning, your flawed and imperfect "reasoning", I think it wouldn't be a bad thing if Steam perhaps like provided the paying-customer with ONE (1) of the latest ver. of DOSbox upon their very first purchase of any game that requires it. And then thereafter, when they purchase more such games, perhaps the installers could recognize whether or not Steam's issued DOSbox was present, and if it is, would then just give you the game tied to that already existent copy instead of just putting yet another copy on your HDD every single time that one buys and d/ls another DOSbox game, see?

Wow, what would be wrong with that! How could could you be so vehemently against THAT!? ???

Yeah, I think it would be super-nice of Steam (and GOG, for that matter) to implement something like that, making all DOSbox games run from a single copy of DOSbox. hehehehe
WinstonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 12:38 AM   #6
BehelitOutlaw

Get out of your basement!
BehelitOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
HardDominator

Throw away the dosbox's and make shortcuts like "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" F:\commanderkeen\base4\Keen4e.exe
Easy to do.. dosbox in one place.. done..
HardDominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #8
WinstonSmith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardDominator View Post
Throw away the dosbox's and make shortcuts like "C:\Program Files (x86)\DOSBox-0.74\DOSBox.exe" F:\commanderkeen\base4\Keen4e.exe
Easy to do.. dosbox in one place.. done..
Cool! You can also put them in DGBL, that works great (though I still wish that Steam would do that for you, meaning all in one place with one DOSbox hehehe).

Last edited by WinstonSmith: 02-28-2012 at 01:44 AM.
WinstonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
KaylaKaze

Steam does this a lot. Many games on steam download and store their own DirectX, Visual C++, XNA and other runtimes (and always tries to install when running the game for the first time). Steam needs to track these extras as separate packages, only download them once, and remember that it's already installed before trying to install again.
KaylaKaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Publisher & Developer Discussions > id Software