Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #2416
yrogerg77

Well vbulletin just erased my previous message with a more detailed explanation due to some "unexplained error" so I'll make it quick this time because I don't want to type that all out again...

Chapter 6 "The Fall" has a problem with rock textures. I've included a screenshot below.

http://i.imgur.com/h3eKGHV.jpg

Portal 2 just updated today before I was playing and I didn't get to chapter 6 with all the rock until just now so I'm not sure if this was caused by the most recent update or not. After a quick google search I found that this issue has been posted about before, several years ago at least, and the fix they came up with was setting the shader detail to medium instead of high... but a lot were talking about it as an issue that Valve needed to address to fix properly.

Here are my computer specs if that helps at all:

Windows 7 x64
Intel i7 2.4GHz
12 GB DDR3
GeForce GTX 650

Last edited by yrogerg77: 10-12-2015 at 06:57 PM.
yrogerg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 03:07 AM   #2417
Zeth81

Lightbulb Solved: Co-op Crossplatform

Short:
Bypass the router for the Playstation(PS) und connect the PS directly to the modem!

Long:
Unfortunately Steam detects only the internal LAN IP of the PS and tries to connect to it. Since helps neither port-forwarding nor DMZ.
To bypass the internal NAT and get an IP from the ISP directly I connected as a last attempt the PS to the modem. And it worked!

It is not the best way to deal with it, iknow. But its the 1st solution for months now.

so long
Zeth
Zeth81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 11:10 AM   #2418
Stardog

Portal 2 stuttering

I and a friend of my have a problem with Portal 2 on Mac OSX.
When we play the game, the game stutter/freeze. It works fine for a few seconds, that stutter, than works it again, to the next stutter. The sound stutter, too.

We have two MacBook Pro Retinas.
Have someone a idea, what we can do?

Gretes

Update:
I decided to create a new thread for this. I hope this is the correct way:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...2#post36165972
Stardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #2419
DmasterD

No voices from GLaDOS and Wheatley (Audio Issue)

Since a week I've got Portal 2 from Steam. So I started playing and everything went fine, untill at some point I started noticing Wheatley wasn't talking anymore. This was at chamber 21 with the escape. I haven't heard GLaDOS talking for a couple of chambers either. This issue was not in the list from audio issues, so I made this post.

What happened:
This probably started when I wanted to have English subtitles instead of Dutch subtitles (my steam set the language automaticly to Dutch). However, it still showed Dutch subtitles even though the menus and and everything else in the game was turned to English after I saved the new settings and restarted. So I turned back the audio settings to Dutch since it was a useless change. I did this at the point where you can pick up a 'broken' turret which tells you some info about Chell, where you get an achievement in Steam for picking the turret. From this point the voices from wheatley and glados were gone, and I played without noticing it untill chamber 21.

Things that do work:

The voice from GLaDOS does work in coop mode in the special levels with the special ending (the two buttons in the hub). The voice from GLaDOS does not work in the hub, the normal level packs and the single player mode as I said before. The voices from turrets do work and other sound effects.

What I already tried but didn't fix it:
I tried the command snd_rebuildaudiocache;snd_updateaudiocache;exit that was used as a fix for another problem. This didn't work.

I hope someone can provide me with a quick solution. I don't want to reinstall the entire game if I don't have to. (Someone said to me the game's configuration files could be messed up.)
Possible fixes:
- Reinstalling the game (not preferred)

Some info about my computer:
GPU: GeForce GTX 860M
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200H CPU @ 2.80GHz
RAM: 8 GB
NVidia driver version: 355.98
BuildID Portal 2: 842074
Note: I didn't want to wait anymore, so I did reinstall the game which fixed it. It would still be nice to have a better solution if it happens to someone else.

Last edited by DmasterD: 11-19-2015 at 01:43 AM.
DmasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:23 AM   #2420
Melonfodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrogerg77 View Post
Well vbulletin just erased my previous message with a more detailed explanation due to some "unexplained error" so I'll make it quick this time because I don't want to type that all out again...

Chapter 6 "The Fall" has a problem with rock textures. I've included a screenshot below.

http://i.imgur.com/h3eKGHV.jpg0
Same issue here. Setting shader quality to normal fixes the texture, but the game looks ghastly! It'd be a shame if this game was left like this.

W8.1 x64
I7-4770k
16gb ram
GTX970
Melonfodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:25 AM   #2421
borg

I keep having this issue where I alt+tab out, and then the graphics just stop. I know it hasn't crashed cause portal2.exe still uses a fair amount of cpu and I can still hear it making sounds and even see it changing my mouse icon in the puzzle maker. I can also still shift+tab within the game, but I can't see that either. It doesn't happen every time, maybe a 1/10 chance. I'm on Windows 10 and AMD.

Last edited by borg: 02-19-2017 at 11:29 AM.
borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:58 AM   #2422
borg

I know this whole forum is pretty inactive, but I'm gonna put this here for documentation because apparently this bug is notably rare and has never had a real fix (although I was kind of asking for it to happen).

just for science, i put a turret on a faith plate with the target being its own tile and the trajectory angle as low as i could put it. I ran this, not knowing what to expect. the moment it started, the turret began circling the faith plate, even somehow travelling through the floor as if it wasn't a solid object. this was only for a moment. the instant the light in the large observatory room came on, the game crashed.
i tried it again, this time allowing me myself to put the turret on. i got the same results, except this time, a very strange error message appeared:
player_stand (2) at -1.$ -1.$ -1.$ in contact with world (2) at -32.5 -4.9 3.3, crash. dist = -1, minq = 100000002004087730000.000000
the only other cases I've found of this issue were in tf2 with a random effects mod, and some sort of entity removal problem in Gmod.
borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #2423
Zekiran

Well, your 'notably rare' is 'if you know it's going to break the game, be surprised if it doesn't'.

As for the other issue, have you checked for other devices that are interfering with your game? The alt-tab thing has existed a while, though I thought it *should* have been fixed by any of the updates that have occurred. Making sure that your video drivers, mouse and keyboard, and sound drivers are all properly manually updated would be the first thing I'd do. If you're using a controller, make sure your mouse is not chosen as an input device. If you're not using but have a controller installed, make sure IT is not chosen. (this also applies to any other mouse-like device such as a tablet pen.) If you're running a single monitor make sure your game is also the same resolution as your desktop, if you're running multiple monitors, this can be a pain.

But yeah that alt tab thing is old, it surprises me that it's still happening, though you ARE on W10 and that may be part of it.
Zekiran is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Tags
p2 bug tracker