Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Numen: Contest of Heroes

Old 04-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #1
halororor

Is it worth it?

No, this guy's post basically sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draetor24 View Post
I bought this game cheap a while back and felt like getting into a greek mythology RPG like Titan Quest. However, what I didn't realize was that this game is nothing of the sort.

This is fine, as I can't expect everything to be similar, so I gave it a shot and played through the intro part of the game.

The game is exactly like playing an MMO. The wasd + right mouse look movement controls, the interface, the combat especially, the quests, and everything else. This IS a single player MMO, dumbed down, offline, and playing alone.

I tried to like it, but I can't force myself to play alone in an MMO type game when I can always jump into a real one.
If you're looking for a decent hack 'n slash to play, you're not getting it here. Rather check out Titan Quest. It's infinitely better.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
NoahS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by halororor View Post
No, this guy's post basically sums it up.

If you're looking for a decent hack 'n slash to play, you're not getting it here. Rather check out Titan Quest. It's infinitely better.
Thank you and others for the info!
NoahS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Radman2011

TQ has respawning enemies which is very frustrating, Numen has fully 3D graphics and looks great, TQ is isometric...

oh, and its 1.99, worth a shot...
Radman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
elixenie

I bought this a while back but just tried it out for the first time. I'd buy it again at this price, but for those with high sensitivity to badness I should point out two things:

1. The writing is long-winded and miserable. If you've played foreign MMOs which were translated carelessly, this will be familiar ground: NPCs starting sentences with "anyway," often trying to be funny, making references to gaming clichés, etc. Thankfully there seem to be very few opportunities to speak with anyone.

2. More importantly, there is no apparent way to adjust camera sensitivity. I had to turn it down globally to get comfortable control, and even then it felt choppy. Doing this made the pointer unbearably slow. If your mouse lets you adjust sensitivity on the fly, go for it. Otherwise I can see this becoming pretty aggravating.
elixenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
halororor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman2011 View Post
TQ has respawning enemies which is very frustrating
TQ's enemies only respawn after you quit and reload the game. Numen's enemies respawn constantly, WHILE playing the game.

So, uhm, wat.
halororor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
mompkin

I certainly didn't care for it, I gave it the ol' college try after I bought it on sale a while ago, and I just found it alternatively quite boring and quite frustrating. I can't say that I'm mad that I paid ~2 buck for it, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone if they asked me. For the price though, if you want to play a hack n' slash desperately, might as well try it.
mompkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Ducon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSunGod View Post
I bought it and after the first level the lack of controller support and bad gameplay make it unplayable. Steam would not give me a refund even though I told them I hated this game.
Did I get this right. You cant be arsed to download a demo and try it out before buying and then go crying to support when "it suxx"?
Ducon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
Wurzel_Pummage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radman2011 View Post
Numen has fully 3D graphics and looks great, TQ is isometric...
Is that genuinely how you decide if a game is good or not?
Wurzel_Pummage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
Alex1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel_Pummage View Post
Is that genuinely how you decide if a game is good or not?
For some people, the ability to change the camera angle is a big thing in an ARPG. As an example, I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning if I couldn't rotate the camera.

Some games are designed well with a fixed view, some aren't. MOST aren't.

EDIT: After playing the demo, I think the game is crap. But it has nothing to do with the camera system...

Last edited by Alex1981: 04-24-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Alex1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
City Builder

For $2.00 it's got some fun in it.

But keep in mind, this game IS $2.00 so don't expect that you're buying some AAA title. You're basically buying a little fun for $2.00
City Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #11
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
There is a lot to what City Builder wrote - Numen is a small indie RPG made by a bunch of guys, it was never meant to be in the same league as The Witcher. If you are expecting something like that you definitely won't find it here. But if you would like to see what one scripter and three artists can make, check this game out.
kovi_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #12
Radman2011

good defence, can't understand the attacks on your game..
Radman2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #13
Wurzel_Pummage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1981 View Post
For some people, the ability to change the camera angle is a big thing in an ARPG. As an example, I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning if I couldn't rotate the camera.
I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur with the camera fixed either but that doesn't mean a fixed camera is bad. The quality of the implementation should decide if it is good or bad and not the idea itself. A fixed aerial camera is obviously going to give you a greater area of vision than a fixed camera at ground level so I feel that is an unfair comparison
Wurzel_Pummage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
Alex1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzel_Pummage View Post
I wouldn't be able to play Kingdoms of Amalur with the camera fixed either but that doesn't mean a fixed camera is bad. The quality of the implementation should decide if it is good or bad and not the idea itself. A fixed aerial camera is obviously going to give you a greater area of vision than a fixed camera at ground level so I feel that is an unfair comparison
Which is why I said this part:
Quote:
Some games are designed well with a fixed view, some aren't. MOST aren't.
Some games get it right, a lot don't. A bunch of games have made the camera a worse antagonist than any in-game enemy.
Alex1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Numen: Contest of Heroes