Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 07-25-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
Ebay

Sv_region, a Community announcement

Hello everybody, Ebay here.
It would seems a lot of people are having issues with finding high pings servers through the matchmaking system.

While this might not fix everything that can cause the high ping, it can definitelly help with the most common reason for a high ping, which is ending up on a server hosted on the other side of the globe.

Simply put "sv_region (number here)" in your autoexec file (doing it ingame will reset the value every time you re-launch the game)

* eastcoast - sv_region 0
* westcoast - sv_region 1
* south america - sv_region 2
* europe - sv_region 3
* asia - sv_region 4
* australia - sv_region 5
* middle east - sv_region 6
* africa - sv_region 7
* world - sv_region 255

You can then limit finding games to something closer to your area.
The default value ingame is -1, which I have no clue what does.
Link: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sv_region

I'm posting this here as this is not even in the useful console command thread. I hope this proves useful to some people, as it was for me.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:11 PM   #2
shackanaw

Does this only work for the server browser, or does it affect the lobby system as well?
shackanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
TrueSurvivor

Banned
sv_region is a server side command, this only affects your server.
Steam already selects servers near the area you've selected on the 'Download' location.

Besides, if you actually enter sv_region in the console. It says 'The region of the world to report this server in.'

And the default is -1.

Last edited by TrueSurvivor: 07-26-2010 at 12:20 PM.
TrueSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #4
Ebay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueSurvivor View Post
sv_region is a server side command, this only affects your server.
Steam already selects servers near the area you've selected on the 'Download' location.

Besides, if you actually enter sv_region in the console. It says 'The region of the world to report this server in.'

And the default is -1.
Believe it or not, its client-side, not server-side.
When used with L4D/L4D2/AS matchmaking system, you're telling the system where YOU are located in the world.

If you're making a server, the likeliness of finding a server that is far away from your location is reduced, and if you're looking for a server the likeliness that you end up on a far away server will decrease also. One could say that this command is more useful with L4D style lobbies that look for a server after players are ready to play.

I've seen a radical decrease in the number of players with a ping over 300 joining my games by using this command when hosting, along with ending in games hosted far away from my location. I've used this command successfully in the past, and it still appear to be working as of now.
Ebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:59 PM   #5
shackanaw

It's nothing personal, but I am still doubtful about the usefulness of the command.

I'm wondering if it would only filter those people who have set this command on their machines, and who happen to be hosting games. I'm also wondering if the default option doesn't set this automatically for you, so there wouldn't be much point in changing it unless you have changed your download region in Steam, or some other odd problems that might interfere.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:24 AM   #6
17Noemvri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebay View Post
Believe it or not, its client-side, not server-side.
When used with L4D/L4D2/AS matchmaking system, you're telling the system where YOU are located in the world.
Your Ip address is already telling where you are located in the world with a precision of a couple kilometers in radius for the public. Precisely to Police and your ISP. No need for you to specify. The matchmaking system will most likely try to find games near you and resort to the other part of the globe if it can't. Have you been playing late at night?

Last edited by 17Noemvri: 07-27-2010 at 12:28 AM.
17Noemvri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
MrGone

This is a good thought. I'm unfortunately still being matchmade into 200+ ping servers with my region set (and occasionally servers that are apparently on the moon). Seems like it's more of a suggestion than the hard ping filtering I'd like to see implemented into the matchmaking.
MrGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:01 PM   #8
k37chup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGone View Post
This is a good thought. I'm unfortunately still being matchmade into 200+ ping servers with my region set (and occasionally servers that are apparently on the moon). Seems like it's more of a suggestion than the hard ping filtering I'd like to see implemented into the matchmaking.
Try mm_dedicated_max_ping 80 it works for l4d
k37chup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:21 PM   #9
AvidExpert

You guys should post these in the useful commands thread to see if they get added, i'm sure that thread will be stickied soon, on another note if people are still having trouble with high ping games use the server browser and one you've refreshed the list click the [Ping] box to filter ping from lowest to highest.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:31 PM   #10
shackanaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidExpert View Post
You guys should post these in the useful commands thread
I posted a link to this discussion in the thread here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...5#post16311435

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidExpert View Post
i'm sure that thread will be stickied soon
It was stickied ages ago.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #11
MrGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by k37chup View Post
Try mm_dedicated_max_ping 80 it works for l4d
No luck, the command didn't make it over to Alien Swarm it seems. Thanks anyways though, would've solved things
MrGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
POLICEMATRIX

you could always use serverbrowser and click ping then select your closest server by ping, copy a few IPs then use mm_force_dedicated_server IP/PORT , IP/PORT

Everyone should have this set up to avoid lame pings and bad servers (whatever that is to yourself) you can add mm_force.... to autoexec.cfg

Not sure if any or a combination of these can help
Code:
mm_server_search_inet_ping_interval                : 1.0              : LAUNCHER             : How long to wait between pinging internet server details.
mm_server_search_inet_ping_refresh                 : 15               : LAUNCHER             : How often to refresh a listed server.
mm_server_search_inet_ping_timeout                 : 3.0              : LAUNCHER             : How long to wait for internet server details.
mm_server_search_inet_ping_window                  : 10               : LAUNCHER             : How many servers can be pinged for server details in a batch.
POLICEMATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm