Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 07-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Ollaz

[Guide] Setting up a 5 or 6 player server

When there are 6 players, 6th can not choose a class, so 5 players will be used in this guide.

First step. Install Alien Swarm - you can not setup a server without that!
When the installation is done, locate your Alien Swarm. It should be in \Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\ folder.

What you want to do, is create a server.cfg to \Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm\cfg
The server.cfg should look something like this:
Code:
//Name of the server
hostname "aliens on a plane"
//You know what this does
rcon_password <password here>
//Set the rate for your server (mine doesn't go above 45 in game)
sv_maxupdaterate 60
//this command is not a must
sv_unlag 1
//self explanatory
sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
//this will set the maxplayers
maxplayers 5
//set this the same as maxplayers (NOTE: this will revert after your server is up!)
default_maxplayers 5
I've included the same server.cfg with the post for you lazy people!

After this is done, you need to start the server. Do so, by opening CMD and then starting the server from there (you do NOT want to run the server from the .exe, it will not load the server.cfg!). In CMD, type the following (change it according to your likings):
Code:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\srcds.exe" -console -game swarm +ip xx.xxx.xxx.xx -port 27015 +exec server.cfg +map lobby -autoupdate
I created a .bat file on my desktop, so it's easier to run and you don't have to remember anything.
After your server is running you can check by typing "maxplayers" into the CMD window. The output should look something like this:
Code:
maxplayers
"maxplayers" is "5"
"mininum_maxplayers" is "1"
"absolute_maxplayers" is "6"
"default_maxplayers" is "4"
"max_splitscreen_players" is "1"
If you can't use that window for any reason at all, you can also check the serverbrowser. Open your game and in the console, type "openserverbrowser" and navigate to LAN.
Serverbrowser looks like that
server.cfg can be downloaded here(right click and save as or save link as, whatever browser you are using)

Useful commands can be found in this thread:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1371124

What can I say? I guess, have fun!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #2
Rkynick

Now I can have 10 sentries at once.
Rkynick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 AM   #3
Aro2220

wait...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....?!?!? you found a way to increase the players to 5???

holy ...is this legit? It's too late right now for me to try it but damn if it is that is the coolest hack ever.
Aro2220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 01:58 AM   #4
Ollaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro2220 View Post
wait...whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat....?!?!? you found a way to increase the players to 5???

holy ...is this legit? It's too late right now for me to try it but damn if it is that is the coolest hack ever.
This is old, to be honest. Yes, it's legit, we actually played with 5 people. Lobby and HUD will show you only 4 players while there are 5 in game.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
preset

I appreciate the information and setup guide. However, as soon as someone joins the server, it reverts back to showing a maxplayers as 4. I've even setup the server config exactly like yours with the exception of the hostname. Am I missing something?

---note I'm guessing this doesn't worked with HLDS. :\ only with the built in server via Steam. If anyone got this working with HLDS, info would be appreciated.

Last edited by preset: 07-26-2010 at 08:58 PM.
preset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #6
Ollaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by preset View Post
I appreciate the information and setup guide. However, as soon as someone joins the server, it reverts back to showing a maxplayers as 4. I've even setup the server config exactly like yours with the exception of the hostname. Am I missing something?

---note I'm guessing this doesn't worked with HLDS. :\ only with the built in server via Steam. If anyone got this working with HLDS, info would be appreciated.
Yeah, a dedi running outside does not work. You need to use the one which came with the game and it's in the Alien Swarm folder.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:21 AM   #7
turtlesoup

you can put all those settings in autoexec.cfg, then it will load automatically with srcds, so you don't have to add the extra '+exec server.cfg' flag to the command line.

the '-autoupdate' flag is also useless since windows can't do auto update, and there's no linux build yet.
turtlesoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Bluecewe

Thanks for making this post! It helped me greatly.
Bluecewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #9
ravendan30

Thats All Local side what about server side? i think the problem is lobby reservation what cvars or plugins to unreserve the lobby?
Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 AM   #10
Calystos

I've tried everything this thread had to say but to no avail, tried dedicated and built-in systems, no go. Anyone managed to get it to work fully?

All I wanna do is get a 5 or better yet 6 player server running, all default stuff otherwise, just 1 or 2 more players, hehe. But so far nothing appears to work for us.
Calystos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
Bluecewe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calystos View Post
I've tried everything this thread had to say but to no avail, tried dedicated and built-in systems, no go. Anyone managed to get it to work fully?

All I wanna do is get a 5 or better yet 6 player server running, all default stuff otherwise, just 1 or 2 more players, hehe. But so far nothing appears to work for us.
Have you tried just adding this code:

sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0
maxplayers 5
default_maxplayers 5

That always worked for me.
Bluecewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
Calystos

Yup, first things I did was add them to the server.cfg an nada. Just see the usual "default_maxplayers" as being invalid upon server startup, etc.

Maxplayers was always showing up as 5 or 6 depending what I set it to mind, cept when people joined it only let 4 people play all the time. So I've managed to mod the server.dll which lets me setup 5 or 6 player servers great. Thankfully you don't have to have it on the client side to play, so it still works with other servers too, :-)

Not a perfect fix, but least it works for me til can get more time to work on it properly, :-D
Calystos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:35 AM   #13
starkeeper87

I did everything you wrote but the game allows only 4 players to play. How to unrevert the defaul maxplayers to 5?

In addiction: how do i use the rcon_passwor? It seems useless.

What is the meaning of "sv_allow_lobby_connect_only 0"?

Thank you very much! I am very new to these coding things!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #14
starkeeper87

Ok now it works well in 5. I should only set "maxplayers 5" when I am inside the server if it returns to 4. Another question if I can. How do I have the valve protection activated in the server? It seems I don't have it.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 PM   #15
Mischiefer

I realize this is an old thread, but if someone is still struggling with this I made couple pictures to help you out.

When downloading the file choose SAVE AS
Make sure the file is named server.cfg and choose ALL FILES
The result should look something like THIS and NOT THIS
So when you're saving the server.cfg file you should make sure you save it as cfg-file and NOT as txt-file (see the photobucket links)
Mischiefer is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm