Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Top Spin 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 05-28-2007, 12:47 PM   #31
GregW

Please try validating the game cache by following these instructions.

If you are not prompted to install DirectX when you launch the game after validating the cache, then: Update DirectX here.
GregW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:57 PM   #32
KingJimi

I had the same problem - but I've fixed it.

Here's how:

- First backup ALL downloaded Steam games by right-clicking on the game in Steam and from there you'll find the option to backup

- Once ALL games have been backed up, you must UNINSTALL Steam ENTIRELY. However, before you do this, navigate to your Program Files, and open the Steam folder. Then copy (or cut) the Backup folder to a different location. Now uninstall.

Even after you uninstall, it leaves remnants behind, so find a disk cleaner on the web or do it manually like I did (YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DELETING - ie registry entries such as 'Aspyr' or 'Top Spin 2' or any hidden Application Data files) I recommend Ultra WinCleaner if you can find it. You must also get rid of any Steam registry entries, and you must also get rid of any registries that are related to the game that are installed on your Steam client. If you're confident enough, open regedit and find them there. The majority will be under HKEY-LOCAL MACHINE

- At this point, you should have no trace AT ALL of Steam or any of the games on the client present on your computer. This includes no application data which can be found for example at (C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data), all registry items gone, and no folders related to Steam or your games in the installation path.

- Now, download or re-install Steam.

- Once, you've done this, re-locate the Backup folder that you safely moved to a different location. I'm referring to Top Spin 2 here, so open the Disk 1 folder, and run the Setup file. You'll get the option to Restore Top Spin 2.

- Once this is done, you should find that Direct X will now install automatically by itself. This is important, otherwise it may not work again.

- Now, check for updates - if there are none then you can PLAY!

This worked for me, but I can't really speak for other users. It seems to be a Direct X problem - you will notice that the game will be more likely to work if you have re-installed it and Direct X has initialised itself to be installed.

BEST OF LUCK, dudes...
Old 06-18-2008, 03:13 PM   #33
Demutigen

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJimi View Post
I had the same problem - but I've fixed it.

Here's how:

- First backup ALL downloaded Steam games by right-clicking on the game in Steam and from there you'll find the option to backup

- Once ALL games have been backed up, you must UNINSTALL Steam ENTIRELY. However, before you do this, navigate to your Program Files, and open the Steam folder. Then copy (or cut) the Backup folder to a different location. Now uninstall.

Even after you uninstall, it leaves remnants behind, so find a disk cleaner on the web or do it manually like I did (YOU MUST KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DELETING - ie registry entries such as 'Aspyr' or 'Top Spin 2' or any hidden Application Data files) I recommend Ultra WinCleaner if you can find it. You must also get rid of any Steam registry entries, and you must also get rid of any registries that are related to the game that are installed on your Steam client. If you're confident enough, open regedit and find them there. The majority will be under HKEY-LOCAL MACHINE

- At this point, you should have no trace AT ALL of Steam or any of the games on the client present on your computer. This includes no application data which can be found for example at (C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data), all registry items gone, and no folders related to Steam or your games in the installation path.

- Now, download or re-install Steam.

- Once, you've done this, re-locate the Backup folder that you safely moved to a different location. I'm referring to Top Spin 2 here, so open the Disk 1 folder, and run the Setup file. You'll get the option to Restore Top Spin 2.

- Once this is done, you should find that Direct X will now install automatically by itself. This is important, otherwise it may not work again.

- Now, check for updates - if there are none then you can PLAY!

This worked for me, but I can't really speak for other users. It seems to be a Direct X problem - you will notice that the game will be more likely to work if you have re-installed it and Direct X has initialised itself to be installed.

BEST OF LUCK, dudes...
And all this to be able to play anything which we paid for?

Don't you believe that it is a lot?

I believe that they should take out a patch or something to put the problem in order

I have sent email to the support, but he does not pronounce himself, not only that not even when buying the game, they sent a confirmation of purchase, they have as always made it ...

Old 08-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #34
Shrody

Phone support now

I just bought COH:G and im having the same problem with it not actually running after i choose "Launch Game". The process dosent show up in Task Manager, i've restarted my computer, steam, and ran CCleaner twice. Its not my firewall because the game ran fine a few hours ago, what the hell? I really wish steam would get a god damn phone support line.
Shrody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:33 PM   #35
Yakuzan

Last night I was playing Company of Heroes and today the game won't launch. Everything I own is legit.

Hey Steam, how about you ing get it together. I ain't a computer tech, I am years old and I want easy solutions, why is your payment side working and my ing games aren't?

My son told me my computer was more than suited for the job.

I just came back from a hard day of work and I can't ing play it.

I sent an e-mail a few days ago and I've never received a response.

This is the last ing time I ing buy a game from you guys.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 PM   #36
smgoeller

same problem as the latter. I've reinstalled Steam twice, ive reinstalled DirectX and installed the latest Service Pack for Vista. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #37
colleen93

Red face Similar problem

I dont know if this problem is similar or not, whenever i try to play a steam game. It brings up the Preparing to load... and then shuts my computer off ive tried everything i could think of does anyone know how to fix it??? I've been playing on my comp for months without a problem and all of a sudden my games wont work
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #38
RedXIII

When I try to run ANY game it says that it is preparing to launch the game but when it is ready to run the game, it doesn't load! AT ALL!!! DAMN THIS IS jarateING ME OFF!!!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #39
ke$hatiktok

Banned
i liek this game, itz on steam? cant find it itn store

-Ke$ha
ke$hatiktok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:00 PM   #40
DasMojo

I've got the same problem with Dirt3, many years after this problem first appeared (2006) it's now 2011 and I"m having the same problem. Click on 'Play'... I get 'preparing to launch Dirt3 ' but then box goes and nothing happens.

I wish they would put up a bloody structured troubleshooting message for this specific problem. I've only just signed with steam and I'm fed up already with them standing between the product and myself.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:11 PM   #41
k0tt0n

steam is just fuc*ed
Old 10-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
AidanIzFriendly

Red face

Do they not care about the users or what? THIS IS GETTING ing annoying.
AidanIzFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #43
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
This thread is very outdated now, if you are having consistent issues then you should contact support.
Sierra Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Top Spin 2