Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:26 PM   #31
bnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranded View Post
Thanks Valve! Another disappointment of the year.
The biggest disappointment is still that when Valve started the whole Steam business, they promised that prices would be lower for the customer since direct distribution via Steam cuts out the middle men and eliminates the packaging and shipping costs.

Well, we all see how honest that statement was, retail and Steam prices are pretty much identical - even if you make use of the 10% preorder bonus on new games, you can often get a better offer in a retail store. In fact, if you can wait a bit, Steam prices are often substantially higher than retail prices because prices of games drop a lot faster in stores than they do on Steam.

Feth.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:31 PM   #32
Near Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnf View Post
The biggest disappointment is still that when Valve started the whole Steam business, they promised that prices would be lower for the customer since direct distribution via Steam cuts out the middle men and eliminates the packaging and shipping costs.

Well, we all see how honest that statement was, retail and Steam prices are pretty much identical - even if you make use of the 10% preorder bonus on new games, you can often get a better offer in a retail store. In fact, if you can wait a bit, Steam prices are often substantially higher than retail prices because prices of games drop a lot faster in stores than they do on Steam.

Feth.
Sad, but true
Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #33
Knighter

Greets from Hungary!

Let me compare Fallout3 prices:
49,99$=9457 HUF
49,99€=13327 HUF

It's time to say goodbye steam store...
Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM   #34
Kopijeger

Another Norwegian here, and this new pricing scheme is just absurd. Paying in weak dollars gave Steam a moderate price advantage compared to cheapest local retail, pricing in euros makes things MORE expensive without giving us the advantages of physical copies. If they are able to have separate pricing for the UK and the mainland (where the euro is often not the local currency) they should be able to have differentiated prices for every country, ones adapted to the local price level to ensure Steam is not overpriced compared to retail.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:36 PM   #35
Andy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Elite View Post
L4D costs $65 in Sweden now. Great work.
Valve could really need some geography lessons: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurozone#Members
Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #36
KrixBOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopijeger View Post
Another Norwegian here, and this new pricing scheme is just absurd. Paying in weak dollars gave Steam a moderate price advantage compared to cheapest local retail, pricing in euros makes things MORE expensive without giving us the advantages of physical copies. If they are able to have separate pricing for the UK and the mainland (where the euro is often not the local currency) they should be able to have differentiated prices for every country, ones adapted to the local price level to ensure Steam is not overpriced compared to retail.
Yup, dette er kjipt for Ola Nordmann
Old 12-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #37
Rebel44

I hope prices will be updated, and if they wont , goodbye Steam (at least for some time).
Old 12-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #38
AdRiAnO66

It's unbelievable
Quote:
Originally Posted by stranded View Post
Poland doesn't use € either and Valve is forcing us to pay in euros, I demand chosing my own currency to pay with.
signed
We won't pay almost twice much for games if we could buy it cheaper on any other place, this a suicide for steam store in Europe I think. Let us choose currency. U valve should consider price reducing in Euro, otherwise such currency changes are nonsense.
Once again - $1 and €1 are not equal.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:48 PM   #39
Akiha

This is a +15% price hike on all things on Steam for me. What on earth is this.

Guess that means that I'm not buying via Steam anymore :|
Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #40
bnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdRiAnO66 View Post
this a suicide for steam store in Europe I think.[/SIZE].
No it's not. Let's be realistic here, Valve and the companies selling via Steam are not idiots. They know full well that people will keep buying through Steam.
People paid equal prices on Steam copies of games even though they were promised cheaper prices.
People accepted censored and language-restricted copies of games via Steam.
People didn't stop buying games through Steam when Steam started charging Europeans VAT, even though we're actually buying games on a server in the USA.
People didn't start boycotting Steam when certain games were only available in select countries.
Lots of people don't compare prices, especially since it's so easy and convenient to buy via Steam.
The financial losses caused by the few people who will actually STOP buying games on Steam will be more than compensated for by the higher prices.

I, however, will keep comparing prices and most likely not make many purchases through Steam in the future.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #41
stranded

Banned
bnf

Quote:
People paid equal prices on Steam copies of games even though they were promised cheaper prices.
People accepted censored and language-restricted copies of games via Steam.
People didn't stop buying games through Steam when Steam started charging Europeans VAT, even though we're actually buying games on a server in the USA.
People didn't start boycotting Steam when certain games were only available in select countries.

Not this time, not this time.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM   #42
Cool_Al

Being in Scotland I benefit from the improved £ prices but I feel for my European brethren who are being royally screwed over.

And for the countries which aren't even in the Eurozone being forced onto the Euro, well what's with that!!

Europeans unite

By the way Europeans thanks for voting to abolish our opt-out on a 48 hour working week, I think it will change our employment market for the better
Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM   #43
Maledictus010

There's something i don't understand though...
Over here (NL) games are taxed more than once, meaning we have VAT (called BTW here) and other taxes that in the end should end up on our state's bank account. Also, game prices are higher here because of more expensive import, so in a way the higher prices here have a reason. Now, the change on steam from dollar to euro means that prices have increased across the board (not on all games though, which is also strange, some casual games have actually become cheaper, wonder what their developers think of that) so where does that extra money go? There's no import cost on Steam games, so who gets that extra 15-20 dollars that i now have to pay if i buy Crysis? This whole thing also makes the statement that "Valve doesn't set prices on Steam" a little odd. Since more than half of all games are now more expensive than before (for people that have to pay in euros) it's weird to think that the publishers all said "yeah, let's increase the price for euro customers".
Finally, what does this mean for US based indy devs like tilted mill? A title like Hinterland is now 1.5 times the price it was before, but who gets that extra money? And how does that developer justify the price increase? They certainly don't have any extra overhead when selling digitally to euro customers, and if they do, then why wasn't that a problem before?
Anyone who has any light to shed on this (maybe someone who works in retail) please do so, otherwise i'm inclined to think this is all a huge conspiracy...

Last edited by Maledictus010: 12-17-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #44
Tibo

I'm gonna wake up, I have to wake up!
Oh dear!
Valve really is changing! In a very bad way!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #45
Dacore

Right now, prices from Amazon.co.uk are almost 50% cheaper than prices in steam, including shipping charges to Spain.

I get a disc, I get a manual, and maybe some other things and with steam I get screwed and forced to connect to internet.

It doesn't look like a good deal to me.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion