Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #751
Heldan

This is truely insane. Never gonna buy anything from steam again.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #752
dankill007

The prices are crazy, Europe got to pay more for a game then the US and UK, 1$ isn't 1€, 1$ is 0.71€.
Retail prices is lower than the steam-prices, I'm getting a nice box and a manual with the retail one as well.
I'm from Norway and I got other issues as well.
Norway is not a part of EU and doesn't use Euro(as well as other countries in Europe), why should we pay in Euro when US Dollars is cheaper.

Example(from Norway):
COD4 steam new price: 49.99€ = 70.40$ = 488.91 NOK
COD4 retail store price: 40.79€ = 57.45$ = 399 NOK-->(and that is including 25% taxes!!)
COD4 steam old price : 35.49€ = 49.99$ = 347.14 NOK

The prices was one of the reasons i use steam and because it is an excellent way to sell and distribute games easy.
My message to Valve is: Fix the prices! You didn't make it easier, you made it harder!

Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 AM   #753
E_net4

Seriously, if Valve doesn't change this, I'll completely stop buying from here! After all, why did you increase our price, even when we have to pay the freaking tax which doesn't make any sense?

"Mend your ways before it is too late!"
Old 12-19-2008, 06:23 AM   #754
Johnny Crusher

Videogame prices in Europa have always been higher than in US (some more, some less, some were ridicously higher), but videogame distributors always said that this was due to higher taxes in EU, transport costs (stupid, since most things are produced in places like China, so the transport must be made too to move the product from the factory to US), etc.
Now, I wonder what would be the explanation that Valve gives us (if any), since the VAT was already charged when we paid in dollars and there's no other cost involved.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #755
Wobbley

Well was a good and fun ride. I had started using and liking steam more and more ever since back in the days when HL2 released. Was a fun ride but i guess its over now, will naturally still keep playing the Steam games i own, but doubt i will buy new ones from here.

One thing that makes me sad though is the Independent game developers. I got a couple of those and only cause they were cheap and really easy to get from Steam, to be honest i think those are the ones that will be hit hardest on Steam, if europeans even keep shopping from Steam with this conversion

Maybe i will come back to shopping on Steam sometime in the future when the prices stop being
Old 12-19-2008, 06:27 AM   #756
Soulman

Steam was such a brilliant concept, but they just priced themselves out of the market... it's a pity.

I was already annoyed at the Steam prices, bought Fallout 3 at retail a while ago because it was cheaper than on Steam (in Norway). That was in dollars, with the new euro prices it's just ridiculous.

I have started looking for alternatives for digital distribution, but most seem to be US only (D2D), have silly restrictions (EA store) or very few games (gog.com). It looks like retail may actually be the best alternative at the moment.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #757
faugusztin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman View Post
most seem to be US only (D2D)
There is http://www.direct2drive.co.uk/ , which is for UK/EU/AU. Unfortunately even there are restrictions, like no Fallout 3 for Central and Eastern Europe behind Germany & Austria.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:33 AM   #758
saivert

Just some questions:

- Can this be the result of EU itself?
- Does Valve just want a price that fits all of EU and also accounts for currency fluctuations?

Remember I'm not implying anything, just asking. My rational brain refuses to believe Valve does this out of pure greed. The must know they are shooting their own foot if there is no other reason.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #759
Unkn0wn

I'm deeply dissapointed in Valve and hope this is a mistake.
If it's not, I'm afraid I will no longer be purchasing games from Steam.
You've just lost yourself a frequent customer, Valve.

I can probably get games cheaper in most stores now, and I'll get it in a nice little box.

Also, you could probably sue Valve for this as it goes in against European Law.

Last edited by Unkn0wn: 12-19-2008 at 06:45 AM.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:34 AM   #760
cstorvik

What the is this ?
NORWAY IS NOT IN THE EU!!!!!

Last edited by Modiga-Disabled: 12-19-2008 at 06:51 AM.
  Received Infraction
Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #761
'fall

This sucks on ice. No seriously, you all suck!

I love Valve and I think Steam is a great platform. But they really can't do this. I'm not buying anything before we get normal prices. In dollars, preferably. Because although I don't live in the USA, I have dollars, and why shouldn't I be able to pay with them?

Old 12-19-2008, 06:40 AM   #762
CoffeeCup

Banned
If you disagree with the prices now being shown in euro's and the forced use of euro's/gbp's on steam please join;

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/EuroNOTHANKS

If you disagree with Valve's policy on the new currency rules.

Please join

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/1e1us

I say we start a xmas boycot.
Dont buy steam games on steam, or in the store, dont buy a single game thats even closely connected to steam.
Make them feel we mean it.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #763
Spotify

Banned
This is now front page news at one of norways biggest news sites (nettavisen.no), and norways biggest gaming sites (gamer.no , itavisen.no, catchgamer.no) and the biggest discussion boards in norway (vgd.no and diskusjon.no)

How you kill your business? Ask Valve!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:42 AM   #764
Crembo

50 Pages and not fixed yet? Is this a joke or something? I mean, I thought Valve was different from other companies. I thought they're "from gamer to gamer" developer... Probably I was wrong :/

Old 12-19-2008, 06:43 AM   #765
Weird Russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saivert View Post
Just some questions:

- Can this be the result of EU itself?
- Does Valve just want a price that fits all of EU and also accounts for currency fluctuations?

Remember I'm not implying anything, just asking. My rational brain refuses to believe Valve does this out of pure greed. The must know they are shooting their own foot if there is no other reason.
- The switch to € + VAT as a price in Steam could be, the changed prices not so much
- It doesn't really account any currency fluctuations, I'm not even sure what it accounts at all

That we don't know the reasons for this is the reason for us to waste our times here. It doesn't make any sense, it's bad for the customers and for Valve and no one even tries to explain anything here.

Last edited by Weird Russian: 12-19-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Gee, this thread moves way too fast. Quote added.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion