Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Realm of the Mad God

Old 02-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
NeoAlpha

A Note on Pentaract Towers and Eyes

It's inevitable with every new wave of new players coming into the game, that there will be several angry players because of this, so I thought I'd give you guys a heads up.

For those of you that don't know, this is a Pentaract. Compared to some of the other event bosses, it may not seem as frightening at first. It doesn't have the high damage shotgun of most other events, and the minions aren't as dangerous if you keep moving around. However, the first thing you probably noticed about it was that each Pent is actually made out of five towers. All five towers must be destroyed within 15 seconds of the first one being killed, or else they will respawn. Only when all towers have been killed does loot drop. Each time a tower respawns, it creates five more pent eyes. This means that if a tower (or more than one) goes down prematurely, there are up to 20 more eyes created. If this happens more than once, you've got a problem. The red lines between the towers turn yellow when a tower is destroyed, though they don't show which.

The preferred method to kill pents is to weaken each tower to near death, and then destroy all five in one swoop. This is doable with some potted stats and skill. However, it is much easier to solo it like this when there aren't people killing random towers and spawning more eyes. There is no benefit from killing towers as long as a single one still stands.

tl;dr : Wait a while before attacking if you come to a pent with someone at it already. They may be in the process of weakening the towers, and they probably won't like you very much if you screw it up.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Lokarin

Will pent eyes spawn on their own timer? I see more than enough of them everywhere.
Lokarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
NeoAlpha

They do, but at a (much) slower rate than if you just continuously kill towers.
NeoAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
Docman

Good post, NeoAlpha.

Pents are a somewhat approachable event for new players, due to the low-ish damage output (just don't stand still!).

However, it's also hard to understand without taking the time to figure it out. The problem is most people don't have time to sit and put on their thinking caps.

The biggest thing to remember: killing one tower over and over makes things worse! Just weaken a tower and move on without killing it, then once the first weakened one goes down scramble as fast as you can to kill the rest.
Docman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
ton de mo nai

I did not know any of this. Thanks for the info.

And this explains why I sometimes get swarmed with those eyes when I can't even see the thing.
ton de mo nai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #6
XerxesClayton

Good Post! I had no idea thats how you killed a pent!
XerxesClayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
Lokarin

Maybe there should be a consolidated quick-FAQ here on the Steam boards for people who don't use the wiki.

Also, the wiki isn't complete... there isn't even an entry for Horrid Reaper.
Lokarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #8
NeoAlpha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokarin View Post
Maybe there should be a consolidated quick-FAQ here on the Steam boards for people who don't use the wiki.

Also, the wiki isn't complete... there isn't even an entry for Horrid Reaper.
Yeah the wiki really needs some love from more people. It doesn't help that the flash client information apparently got removed. Hopefully more players will rise to the occasion. *nudge, nudge, wink, wink* There is a non-comprehensive page for things that the wiki needs work on. To give you an idea of what we have to work with, there have been 6 of us that have contributed and updated that page in the past week, and about 8 total in the past two that have done more than add their name to the list.
NeoAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Realm of the Mad God