Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
Rambonxious

Post Need Help with an RTS Half-Life 2 Mod

I've been working on this mod for about a week now. It is my first (real) attempt at modding the source engine and right now I'm wading through the tons of source code trying to discover how it all fits together.
I have an intermediate understanding of the C++ language, an intermediate understanding of modeling, and a high understanding of the Hammer tool.

I want to make a few distinct changes to end up with an RTS-genre mod. I want this type layout:

Upon the creation of a new game, rather than loading a traditional level, an overview of the "galaxy" will load. The galaxy is made up of planets. Each planet has a battleground in space and a few on land.

Let's say I invade enemy space over a planet. I confirm my action and am taken to a traditional RTS-style setup on one of the battlefields, where I have a top-down view and can command my units. Essentially, here is what I have no idea how to go about:

1 - Changing the player's view from first person to an overhead view and making him not collide with the world, not be a target for NPCs, And restricted to X-coordinate movement
2 - Changing up the in-game structure to allow for the multi-stage layout I mentioned earlier

Any ideas as to how I could accomplish any aspect of these or even what files I would need to modify to do that would be very, very appreciated. Thank you for your read and for any help or suggestions.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:41 AM   #2
taz-ed

take a look at the HL2 wars/lambda wars code https://github.com/Sandern/lambdawars i know they use a radar that you can click on to move to that postion, maybe you can adapt there code for your start screen to top down view
taz-ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
Rambonxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz-ed View Post
take a look at the HL2 wars/lambda wars code https://github.com/Sandern/lambdawars i know they use a radar that you can click on to move to that postion, maybe you can adapt there code for your start screen to top down view
Wow I had no Idea that we could access that code and luckily I know python. Thanks for the reply. Reputation added.
Rambonxious is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion