Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 03-16-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
cloneman

steam downloads "too fast" causing packet loss

I've been investigating an issue where steam downloads things "too aggressively", causing packet loss for other applications. I'm aware that steam has an internal bandwidth limiter setting; but this is not a great solution in my opinion, I would prefer a thread limiter, as steam downloads using 20 threads by default.

I'm hoping to collect some information to see who is affected by issue, so I raise a ticket with steam to have them include a feature to change the behavior of the download system.

If you'd like to participate in measuring packet loss on your connection, see the procedure below:

0) Turn off any QoS or traffic shaping on your router. Use a wired connection.

1) Open Steam and ensure the internal limiter is not enabled (Settings -> Downloads)

2) Download some large game file (e.g. Free-to-Play section, Dota 2). Allow the transfer to ramp up in speed for 1 minute or so. (Take note of the transfer speed in Library -> Downloads)

3) Record a measurement of packet loss for at least 2 minutes as seen by different application. For example, a terminal window running a continuous ping to google.com or some other reliable server. In Linux or Mac, ping -i 0.2 google.com can be used to collect data in a faster way. (Windows has the slower ping -t). You can measure this on the same computer or on a different wired computer, or at the router cli.

4) Share your result in this thread like this:

---
Connection: 60/10 Cable
Packet loss: 5%
Time spent measuring: ~5 minutes
Approximate Transfer Rate: 7.5 MBytes/s
Operating system used: Windows
Control group - browser packet Loss: 0.1% (optional)
---

Optional:
If you wish, you can also do a control test - download some random file in your browser while measuring packet loss in terminal window. The purpose of this is to ensure that your connection does not have much loss in a regular file transfer.
»www.microsoft.com/en-us/ ··· ?id=5842

So far, every connection i've tested has loss, except 250mbit fiber connections.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
ffejrxx

packet loss is normally a crap modem, or poor connection (lan or isp)

try pinging your router and see what your loss is
ex. ping -t 192.168.0.1

then your isp
tracert google.com (2nd or 3rd hop is modem, 4th will be somewhere in your isp)

if the loss is somewhere between your modem and isp call them to send out a tech and fix it
ffejrxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:44 AM   #3
Jamebonds1

Main reason is they give the modem to you while they're outdated. That is why I bought my own cable modem for 100 dollar.

Last edited by Jamebonds1: 03-17-2017 at 09:40 AM.
Jamebonds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:41 AM   #4
cloneman

I've tested this enough with several routers to rule out a router/model issue. So far, the only setup that is immune to this problem is a very high speed fiber connection.
cloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 05:53 AM   #5
ffejrxx

where is the loss happening?
pc - router
router - modem
modem - isp
ffejrxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems