Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 09-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #16
KIAaze

I still haven't tried editing maps, but just in case you don't know it yet: all the data files of the game can be extracted from the .pk3 files in the steelstorm gamedata folder.
The .pk3 files are simply .zip files with a different extension.

You can find the .bsp files motorsep mentioned in the various ssgamemaps00000*.pk3 files.

Well, at least extraction works. I tried editing some of the .tga texture files and recompress them into .zip files renamed as .pk3 (replacing the original .pk3), but that somehow messed up the main menu and lots of textures.

I still haven't tried editing the extracted maps or models and I got the feeling that they are not real "source files", i.e. they are some form of "compiled 3D model".

But I don't really have much experience with this kind of modding. I also still haven't tried the netradiant editor which is supposed to allow us to edit them.

Reading some darkplaces or quake modding documentation would probably help a lot. But I don't really have time for it at the moment.
KIAaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #17
necrodoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIAaze View Post
I still haven't tried editing maps, but just in case you don't know it yet: all the data files of the game can be extracted from the .pk3 files in the steelstorm gamedata folder.
The .pk3 files are simply .zip files with a different extension.

You can find the .bsp files motorsep mentioned in the various ssgamemaps00000*.pk3 files.

Well, at least extraction works. I tried editing some of the .tga texture files and recompress them into .zip files renamed as .pk3 (replacing the original .pk3), but that somehow messed up the main menu and lots of textures.

I still haven't tried editing the extracted maps or models and I got the feeling that they are not real "source files", i.e. they are some form of "compiled 3D model".

But I don't really have much experience with this kind of modding. I also still haven't tried the netradiant editor which is supposed to allow us to edit them.

Reading some darkplaces or quake modding documentation would probably help a lot. But I don't really have time for it at the moment.
thanks a lot! trying to find the proper file now.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:18 AM   #18
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
For levels, there are only .bsp files - compiled levels. Source level files are .map and they are not in the pk3 files.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
necrodoom

agh. i need that entity dump command still, then.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution