Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 04-29-2012, 08:08 PM   #31
_Emo_

Completed niffy_5. It's a challenging campaign where you have to complete each mission for the short period of time, or something bad happens. The first mission is the shortest one. You don't have much time, so if you took too long, it's wise to restart it without waiting for the timer to end. The second one is not very hard - at least that's what I thought, because I found the exit quite quickly. The real challenge here is to get all crystals and receive some kind of reward for that.

I collected all crystals on the second map (at least that's what the objective screen said), but the bonus turned out to be just one green crystal and two blue ones. I thought it would be some weapons which would help complete the third mission. I also collected all crystals in the mission 1, but didn't have enough time to get to the exit. I noticed that the reward is one blue crystal, though.

On the third mission, it's possible to reach the exit in about three minutes, but getting all crystals in time felt like absolutely impossible. During all three missions, you only have the basic machine guns, which protracts the fights and eats precious time.

Missions 1 and 3 have artificial mazy layouts created by placing a lot of barriers. Mission 2 looks better, because it relies on actual layout of the map.

Started niffy_1 again. The third mission is interesting, it's more challenging. You'll need those repair powerups. Sometimes a repair turret appears and your life depends on how fast you will manage to find it.

It's hard to find your way through the dark corridors of mission 4. Steel Storm game is about overcoming a challenge, and I think that this pathfinding challenge is a welcome addition.

Part 3 The Otherside seemed monotonous. For a long time you have to go through the enemy base and destroy everything, the deeper you go, the harder it gets. I couldn't complete Yellow Sector. I'm going to return to this campaign sometime later and see if the later missions are worth going through this monotony. I think that this part should contain only one mission, and it should be shorter. Also nothing happens with the story here, before the investigation of researcher's fate gave additional motivation to keep going, now there's nothing, even the mission briefings are the same.

Last edited by _Emo_: 04-30-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Add impressions about niffy_1
_Emo_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #32
soundcreepy

downloads seem to be down for me, but ive noticed that they tend to come up and down often, so ill keep trying
soundcreepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #33
KIAaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_Renegade_Xx View Post
My first mission

It's called desolate/going home, I'm still learning how to use the editor but feel free to have a peek:

Main Mission

http://www.mediafire.com/?e0lt07ty2akb83c

Text File

http://www.mediafire.com/?aomsthyg3z888tb

Both files have to go into a folder called _desolate which you'll need to create, it should then be available to play.

Edit:
New files uploaded as I found a few bugs during play.
Finished it, without taking care of the repaired canons or the boss at the end.

The description for the niffy missions seemed interesting, but the download links all seem dead. :/

A central repository for user-created maps would be nice. Shouldn't be too much of a problem since the files themselves are very small. (They are even text files, so it could all be put under version control in a repository.)

Last edited by KIAaze: 09-22-2012 at 05:23 PM.
KIAaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:54 AM   #34
Nifran

Problems in the editor.

I thought I'd finally get campaign 4 done but the map I need to use for the story is unusable in the editor. It is only this one map however and in game it works without issue. It's map 13 the retextured burning sands terrain with additional base elements. It runs so slowly that even just exiting the editor once its loaded can take 10 minutes. In game in runs OK this is just in the editor.

Seems to get worse in certain areas of the map mostly where there are alot of lights. Didnot have this issue when I created a mission for the tod mod ussing that same map. I am assuming its a driver issue i'm running nvidia 310.70. Was on 290 when last used this map. Just a heads up if anyone wants to use map 13 - it took me 10 minutes to place a roadblock item

Just found another problem in the editor. This time on burning sands - will not allow me to place any objects they are shown as red in all positions?

Last edited by Nifran: 01-02-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Nifran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #35
necrodoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nifran View Post
I thought I'd finally get campaign 4 done but the map I need to use for the story is unusable in the editor. It is only this one map however and in game it works without issue. It's map 13 the retextured burning sands terrain with additional base elements. It runs so slowly that even just exiting the editor once its loaded can take 10 minutes. In game in runs OK this is just in the editor.

Seems to get worse in certain areas of the map mostly where there are alot of lights. Didnot have this issue when I created a mission for the tod mod ussing that same map. I am assuming its a driver issue i'm running nvidia 310.70. Was on 290 when last used this map. Just a heads up if anyone wants to use map 13 - it took me 10 minutes to place a roadblock item

Just found another problem in the editor. This time on burning sands - will not allow me to place any objects they are shown as red in all positions?
i have a lot of troubles like this. game looks fine, editor lags heavily on certain emitter/object placements or map areas. for example, the sky platforms level (forgot number) is extremely laggy over the entire thing, and boss 1 map crashes when a train object is deleted.
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
Nifran

Its an nVidia problem with me - if I swap to an ATI card I have no issues.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #37
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Slowdown in the editor has nothing to do with video card. It's just all entities (and whole map) are loaded at once when editing, with no any sort of culling performed - thus you get poor performance.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #38
necrodoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Slowdown in the editor has nothing to do with video card. It's just all entities (and whole map) are loaded at once when editing, with no any sort of culling performed - thus you get poor performance.
then why i only get slowdown when looking at certain locations, with certain zooms? it looks like the fog is effecting the lag, so might be a rendering issue?
necrodoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:39 PM   #39
Nifran

I have to retract the GFX card comment as now the ATI is doing the same, lasted until the first test of the map from the editor, and then unusable the slowdown is so bad. I have used the same maps to create tod mission and never had a problem with slow down at that time. To be honest all the slow down issues i'm having started when the reports started coming in of the nvidia issues with 301 driver so I just put it down to that. In game the problems are now fixed but in the editor they remain. Just gonna have to change the idea I was going to use.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution