Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Old 02-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
orangebox4me

Changing the resolution in Linux crashes the game back to desktop

As mentioned in the subject, that's a problem ..
Sadly i don't know how to change the resolution in the config file directly..

Anyone here who can help me fixing this issue ?

Ubuntu 12.10 64bit with Nvidia gtx 560ti and driver 313.09 here.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Question

It's kinda hard to know what's going on without additional info.

May I suggest checking out Darkplaces SVN from svn://svn.icculus.org/twilight/trunk/darkplaces , compiling as: make sdl-debug, renaming binary to steelstorm64 and running it from gdb (backing up Steam's game binary and putting new one where old one was)? This way we can get crash report and backtrace to fix (or report to Nvidia if it's their driver's fault)

I have GF 670GTX under 12.04 with 310.32 and I haven't had any crashes, so I can't really check it locally.

Thanks!
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
BTALordHavoc

You can edit the video mode by editing ~/.steelstorm/gamedata/config.cfg and putting in something like this at the end:
vid_width 1920
vid_height 1080
vid_conwidth 1067
vid_conheight 600

Then make a copy of that file like so:
cp ~/.steelstorm/gamedata/config.cfg ~/.steelstorm/gamedata/data/profiles/_name.cfg
(where name is the profile name you entered on the menu)

This is because the game loads one cfg file (config.cfg) and then the other a bit later (for things other than video settings), so you need to update both.

Alternatively you can try running it with commandline options (right click Steel Storm: Burning Retribution in your Library and choose Properties, then click Set Launch Options):
+vid_width 1920 +vid_height 1080 +vid_conwidth 1067 +vid_conheight 600

Getting these to save to the profile cfg is a bit of magic I don't fully understand, so I recommend doing the cfg editing method if you want it to save properly, but as long as they're on the commandline it should stay that way anyway.

I am very interested in the crash itself however, I just haven't had time to debug it yet (I can repro it here, it takes multiple vid_restart commands to cause it though).

EDIT: oh I should also mention you should be able to just slide the video mode slider in the Options over to the mode you want, and then hit Back and exit the game, on next run it should start up with the chosen mode (despite not hitting Apply).
BTALordHavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
motorsep

Kot-in-Action
Just discovered that disabling Steam's Community overlay solved the issue (at least for me).

Right click on Steel Storm in the Library > Properties > tick off the box "Enable Steam Community in-game"
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Simian_

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Just discovered that disabling Steam's Community overlay solved the issue (at least for me).

Right click on Steel Storm in the Library > Properties > tick off the box "Enable Steam Community in-game"
Yup. If I try to change the screen resolution while the overlay is enabled, the game segfaults. If I disable the overlay as you suggested, I can change the game's resolution without getting a segfault, then I can go in and re-enable the overlay afterwards.

Thanks.
Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution