Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #1
motorsep
 
Kot-in-Action
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 67
Posts: 391
Lightbulb Steel Storm 2 kicks off

Finally, I put it all together and launched the official Steel Storm 2 website. Come and check it out at http://www.steel-storm.com

The basic information is there for you to go over, follow the game on Twitter, Facebook and keep up with the development blog that I have also launched.

You guys have been a great community and depending on the activity with Steel Storm: Burning Retribution, the game might see some new maps and missions. However, I want to move on to a new horizon and raise the bar of quality. After all, I am the artist and I want to explore the uncharted territory (for me) of FPS games.

The new game is a spinoff of SS:BR and I am truly hoping for your support as the game is for the existing community first and foremost.

Thank you!

Last edited by zratchet: 11-18-2011 at 11:48 AM.
motorsep is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:24 AM   #2
xX_Renegade_Xx
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 1909
Posts: 4,457
I was speaking to ratchet about this the other night, I enjoy FPS games so I'm keeping an eye on this one.

I will make one suggestion though, advertise! I knew nothing about SS:BR until it appeared on the Steam store page, yes I know that costs money and you're an indie developer but get the name out there.

Good Luck!
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
SamuelKPeter
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 19
Posts: 389
Question: Any chances of me being able to activate it on Steam if I pre-order it? (it's possible when your game has Steamworks)

Also Renegade, this kind of happened but unfortunately it doesn't happen that way - best thing you can do is try to host game with your friends to see if they get to play the game more. This kind of stuff usually grows within the game itself. See how they hosted a contest yet no one got here to check it out?

Oh, and another question: How difficult is it to add Steamworks using QuakeC? Because a handful of people would overlook this if it didn't have at least Steam Cloud or Achievements...

Last edited by SamuelKPeter: 11-19-2011 at 07:09 AM.
SamuelKPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
xX_Renegade_Xx
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 1909
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelKPeter View Post
Also Renegade, this kind of happened but unfortunately it doesn't happen that way - best thing you can do is try to host game with your friends to see if they get to play the game more. This kind of stuff usually grows within the game itself. See how they hosted a contest yet no one got here to check it out?
I posted a video of the game on another site I visit, I also sent one of the devs a link to a site I was a former moderator on, that site has close to 1 million gamers but my point still stands, I knew nothing about SS:BR until it appeared in the Steam store.
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #5
motorsep
 
Kot-in-Action
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 67
Posts: 391
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_Renegade_Xx View Post
I was speaking to ratchet about this the other night, I enjoy FPS games so I'm keeping an eye on this one.

I will make one suggestion though, advertise! I knew nothing about SS:BR until it appeared on the Steam store page, yes I know that costs money and you're an indie developer but get the name out there.

Good Luck!
Thanks man! I am trying my best to get our name out there, but I suppose because of the holiday season it seems to be impossible. Press just ignores my e-mails and tweets

Indeed, being on the Steam's front page is the best thing that can happen to indies, however, AAA games and famous indies get way better treatment then Kot-in-Action :/ Also Steam doesn't want to do alpha funding as Desura, so that sucks.

Btw, could you please give me the link to that site with 1 million gamers?

Last edited by motorsep: 11-19-2011 at 08:52 AM.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
xX_Renegade_Xx
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Reputation: 1909
Posts: 4,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Thanks man! I am trying my best to get our name out there, but I suppose because of the holiday season it seems to be impossible. Press just ignores my e-mails and tweets

Indeed, being on the Steam's front page is the best thing that can happen to indies, however, AAA games and famous indies get way better treatment then Kot-in-Action :/ Also Steam doesn't want to do alpha funding as Desura, so that sucks.

Btw, could you please give me the link to that site with 1 million gamers?
I've sent you a PM with the link.

I know it must be hard as an indie dev trying to get noticed amongst the AAA titles, controversy helps a bit I've noticed, just a thought
xX_Renegade_Xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #7
motorsep
 
Kot-in-Action
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 67
Posts: 391
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelKPeter View Post
Question: Any chances of me being able to activate it on Steam if I pre-order it? (it's possible when your game has Steamworks)
I am sure if Steam will distribute it when it's done, yes. That's what happened with SS:BR. We had pre-orders and once the game was out on Steam, users got redeem keys.
My question though, why? Do you know you can have any game launched through Steam? This way you have all your games in one place, and yet some games can be Steam games and some can be any other games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelKPeter View Post
Also Renegade, this kind of happened but unfortunately it doesn't happen that way - best thing you can do is try to host game with your friends to see if they get to play the game more. This kind of stuff usually grows within the game itself. See how they hosted a contest yet no one got here to check it out?
This is one of the biggest misconceptions. We had ~300k of users playing Steel Storm: Episode 1 (free game we released a year ago, no longer in existence). That didn't help with marketing nor with sales of Burning Retribution. No one spread the word.
I think it depends on combination of timing, genre and luck Top-down shooters are very niche genre, unlike FPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuelKPeter View Post
Oh, and another question: How difficult is it to add Steamworks using QuakeC? Because a handful of people would overlook this if it didn't have at least Steam Cloud or Achievements...
It is difficult. It is impossible to implement using QuakeC. We need to create PHP relay server that will receive stats securely from the game, and pass it on securely to Steamworks servers. The guy who coded SS:BR has no idea how to code in anything else but QuakeC. I am learning PHP right now, but it's more than I can handle. I would rather just focus on the game and it's art, cos the art is what I do best.
I looked around and it would cost me $10k - $15k to pay an experienced PHP coder to make such relay server happen. And with the rate people pre-order SS2 or buy DLC, it's not likely to happen.

On the other note, I might manage to make our own Achievements and Leaderboard server. Although honestly, I never understood the buzz around Steamworks. The best achievements is what you unlock inside the game and use it. Not the badge you get on the board. Also, we are not going to get any better distribution and marketing out of Steam by using Steamworks. So I just can't justify adding all that to any game I make and then not seeing any profit. After all the achievements and cloud don't make thegame better Plus, whouldn't you want to own the game and have it on your HDD or DVD forever? Imagine Steam is in the bind (crashed or went out of business) and all the games you "bought" (cos you just renting them so to speak) are gone. It's not gonna happen if you get the game from Kot-in-Action directly
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
motorsep
 
Kot-in-Action
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 67
Posts: 391
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX_Renegade_Xx View Post
I've sent you a PM with the link.

I know it must be hard as an indie dev trying to get noticed amongst the AAA titles, controversy helps a bit I've noticed, just a thought
Aye, that's why it's FPS that is going with better visuals than SS:BR, has gore and dismemberment, and being done by one man That's pretty good controversy right there :P
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
SamuelKPeter
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 19
Posts: 389
Oh, it's just a little bother. You see, Steam is one of the few ways I can show people that I own a certain game and also because it counts the time I've been playing... There's quite a lot of games which I don't own on Steam yet few people know that I have the game, since it doesn't display on my profile.

As for Steamworks support, it's fine, I kind of expected it... Heh, Steam advertises their own toolkit as "easy to install", yet it's only available through C++. It would be overall better than setting your own stats server... Sucks that the language doesn't really allow much choices.
SamuelKPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 06:54 PM   #10
zratchet
 
 
 
Steel Storm Volunteer Moderator
Join Date: May 2011
Reputation: 25
Posts: 428
Don't you use the "Add a non-Steam game" feature?
zratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:25 AM   #11
SamuelKPeter
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 19
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by zratchet View Post
Don't you use the "Add a non-Steam game" feature?
I do! But it still won't count your playtime and it also won't really tell if you own the game or not. Not trying to be a show-off - it's just that I'd like to have my games in one place where I can pretty much share a list of what I have with friends so they know I have the game and play with me, while also "bragging" about how I am addicted to it in a silly way, heh.

That's why when people tell me about how Steam can be a bother because it would bind my games to some sort of "DRM", it's not much of a bother to me! Also because when talking about a game without CEG, I could just go to the game files and launch it.
SamuelKPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
motorsep
 
Kot-in-Action
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 67
Posts: 391
Post

Steel Storm not having Steamworks has nothing to do with hours played. You still can see it. As long as the game is purchased on Steam, it shows up in your profile, people know that you own it and they can see how many hours you played. So there is your "bragging"

Maybe I am that old school, but I don't care for achievements or leaderboards. I own quite a few games on Steam with Achievements, but I don't even pay attention when I get any of them. I just play and enjoy the game But that's just me
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
SamuelKPeter
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 19
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
Steel Storm not having Steamworks has nothing to do with hours played. You still can see it. As long as the game is purchased on Steam, it shows up in your profile, people know that you own it and they can see how many hours you played. So there is your "bragging"

Maybe I am that old school, but I don't care for achievements or leaderboards. I own quite a few games on Steam with Achievements, but I don't even pay attention when I get any of them. I just play and enjoy the game But that's just me
No, you don't get it... It's got nothing to do with Steamworks. More of a tracking need. And it doesn't show on your profile, only on your friends list, as it also doesn't count times on your games list over the Steam Community... I'm not saying I dislike the shortcut feature but that it's kind of a "cheap" way to it. At least to me.

And yeah, I get your point! Getting achievements and scoring on leaderboards is somewhat useless, but I like to go over them so I can challenge myself and enjoy the game more, instead of going over the same gameplay.
SamuelKPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM   #14
motorsep
 
Kot-in-Action
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 67
Posts: 391
Lightbulb

No no, they are not useless. Properly designed achievements are good. I am saying I am so old school, I don't care for those features

And as I mentioned before, I do want to implement all that coolness, however, it's only possible with $10k - $15k. That's what people who actually can implement that in php and have it compatible with Darkplaces engine / Steamworks licenses quoted me.
motorsep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #15
SamuelKPeter
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 19
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsep View Post
No no, they are not useless. Properly designed achievements are good. I am saying I am so old school, I don't care for those features

And as I mentioned before, I do want to implement all that coolness, however, it's only possible with $10k - $15k. That's what people who actually can implement that in php and have it compatible with Darkplaces engine / Steamworks licenses quoted me.
I see it could take an awful time to put it altogether... But it's really not a big deal. Just from being able to redeem it on Steam later, I'm happy enough Count me in.
SamuelKPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Steel Storm: Burning Retribution


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2015, All Rights Reserved.