Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 02-15-2005, 06:57 PM   #1
denvercs

sv_download... WORKING! STEPS!

just got my sv_download to work... then found my friend posted an awesome write up!

Taken from Ion, the admin over at www.coloradocs.com

URL to this write up.... Looks better....

http://forums.coloradocg.com/viewtopic.php?t=1578

With this How To you will be able to setup the sv_downloadurl cvar on your Counter-Strike:Source server. This feature allows players who do not have custom maps to download them from ingame from a specified web server. By doing this players can download most maps in 10-60 seconds depending on their internet connection and the bandwidth on the web server. These steps are made for users running Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0 and SourceDC for Windows.

This doc assumes you already have SourceDC setup and installed. If you do not please check here, as well as Windows 2k3 and IIS. You will also need a mild working knowledge of IIS and file types.

1) Create a new website under the IIS Management Console. Name it something you can identify with Source. Point it to a specific folder under Inetpub that will only have the map files for download to prevent confusion later. When you create the website uncheck the box that say Run Scripts and check the box that says Browse. This will aid in testing later. After you have created the website, go into the properties and go to the HTTP Headers tab and click the MIME Types... button. In there you will need to enter the following extenstions. For all the extensions enter application for the MIME Type.
Code:
.ain
.bsp
.nav
.vmt
.vft
.wad

2) Extract the maps you want to make available to the above folder you selected. You must keep the directory structure. Example: maps/de_yourmap.bsp and materials/your_material.vmt etc. If you do not do this, it won't work. So pay close attention. Once you have extracted your maps to the folder bring up the website in IE and make sure you can download each of the above mentioned files. If you get a 404 error you did something wrong.

3) If you run your own DNS, I suggest making a new host specially for this website. Example: maps.yourdomain.com or css.yourdomain.com Try and make this something unique. If someone finds out your URL they can use it on their server and suck your bandwidth.

4) After you have completed the above steps it is time to add the cvar to your server.cfg or autoexec.cfg. I put it in my server.cfg so that it gets reset on each map change incase an admin changes is on purpose or mistake. So I leave this option up to you. The cvar syntax is:
Code:
sv_downloadurl "http://css.yourdomain.com/"

Note: I have read some reports where the // in the http:// will cause everything after the // to not be read. I have no experineced this, but if you do change it to just "css.yourdomain.com/"

5) Now comes the pain in the ??? part. If the custom maps you want to run have special materials, sounds or gfx you will need to makre sure there is a .res file in the maps directory on the SourceDC server. Example: cs_twilight uses 2 special materials located in /materials/anoz/ below is what the .rex file looks like for cs_twilight:
Code:
"resources"
{
"materials/anoz/anoz_logo.vmt" "file"
"materials/anoz/anoz_logo.vft" "file"
}

The file needs to be named %MAPNAME%.res, in the case of cs_twilight, cs_twilight.res and placed in the maps directory. Note: You only have to do this if people don't releases these with their custom maps. And it is possible that you don't need these at all. If and when I find out I will update this part.

6) You are now ready to test your new lightening fast sv_downloadurl server. Load up a custom map that you don't already have on your local computer. Join up, you should notice the status bar moves a lot faster. Another good way to tell is to open taskmanager and watch the network usage. You should see a fairly large spike when the map downloads then it return to normal within 60 seconds.

7) You are now locked, cocked, and ready to rock. Load up some custom maps and be sure to let your regulars know now to be affraid of custom map downloads anymore!

Old 02-15-2005, 09:43 PM   #2
Oompa

you put the .res files in the /map directory correct?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:04 PM   #3
denvercs

yes the .res files go in the /maps dir...
Old 02-16-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
Oompa

Ok thank you I was jsut making sure.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
natko

Apparently the RES files are not needed with this method... I did a quick test last night so I could be wrong and if that is the case please let me know. But I downloaded a custom map and resources with out a res file. Didn't have time to look into it further.
natko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:09 PM   #6
denvercs

hmmm it's not download the add ons... gonna have to look into this one... like the VMT files etc...
Old 02-16-2005, 11:38 PM   #7
natko

Those arn't "addons" Taco... Those are resources. AKA .res files. No one has answered my post about this in the server forum so I guess I will have to test it. The only problem is I don't have source at work...

/me connects remotely and starts the download.
natko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 12:32 PM   #8
Strike Harder

Please help me..

I have got it to work.. except for two maps.. mcdonalds-mds and olivegarden-mds. It works in trickle mode.. but with sv_downloadurl everything but a few textures work. I don't get it.
Strike Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #9
spillz

ins't there a way to zip up the bsp file too for even faster downloads?

i have a 17 mb bsp that can compress down to 8 :-/
spillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Strike Harder

Re: Please help me..

Quote:
Originally posted by Strike Harder
I have got it to work.. except for two maps.. mcdonalds-mds and olivegarden-mds. It works in trickle mode.. but with sv_downloadurl everything but a few textures work. I don't get it.
I got it to work by the way. And yes spills. Search these forums for bzip.
Strike Harder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #11
stuttering.john

or click here. one of those posts has a batch file that makes compression life REALLY easy.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #12
screenlookr

ok so iahve set up the website and everything but when i browse through the files and try to downlaod them i get a 401.3 error and i have it set so that there is aguest account i have shared the folders and everything i cant firhure this out.
Old 01-14-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
xmaniac

.res files

do you need to compress the .res files if you compressed the map files or just leave the .res files uncompressed
ex.
map : ge_map.bsp.bz2
res : ge_map.res
or
ge_map.res.bz2
Old 01-15-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
HigherTierMatt

Hello, this is an excellent guide, would you object to me paraphrasing it (and giving full credit of course) on the server resource www.highertier.co.uk?

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #15
spillz

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmaniac View Post
do you need to compress the .res files if you compressed the map files or just leave the .res files uncompressed
ex.
map : ge_map.bsp.bz2
res : ge_map.res
or
ge_map.res.bz2
you can compress any files you want players to download when connecting. This goes for sounds, maps, res and anytning else that will compress well (although sounds don't really compress all that great)
spillz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)