Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 10:31 PM   #31
wing40

Just wanted to bring this issue to a Dev's attention: http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1076392

There is a solution mentioned later in the thread that seems to work as a temporary fix, but it would be nice to have it fixed. It can't be good for our hard drives to be writing so often.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:46 AM   #32
floorwax

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
I'm getting the "Unavailable" message, and I've followed everything in the guide to fix it but still can't play this game--it worked before the update. It's been uninstalled and re-installed, other Steam games work, all drivers are current. this sucks.

edit: can't open a ticket, either. every time i try I'm on the Support tab i get the "Almost Finished" blurb about following the final confirmation directions in an email that is never sent to me no matter how many times i've asked for it to be resent. No, it isn't in my Spam folder, either.
I changed my server from Chicago to Dallas and it started working.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #33
Transmeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by floorwax View Post
I changed my server from Chicago to Dallas and it started working.
Yeah seems that it was Chicago's turn to bork up, (hopped back to Denver) this happens with some games, so I usually just do the download server switch thing between a few and it ends up working fine, same with servers are too busy errors. I dunno why people always think they have to nuke installs.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM   #34
rynryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transmeta View Post
Yeah seems that it was Chicago's turn to bork up, (hopped back to Denver) this happens with some games, so I usually just do the download server switch thing between a few and it ends up working fine, same with servers are too busy errors. I dunno why people always think they have to nuke installs.
because the official "try to fix it this way" page about the unavailable message said nothing about switching servers?

edit: also, this changes nothing for me. game data verified, unfragged, doesn't work offline or online. worth a shot, though.

Last edited by rynryn: 12-23-2009 at 07:52 AM.

Old 12-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #35
RodHelvete

Hallo, i just bought torchlight a few days ago, and i was able to play perfectly.

But since the afternoon of tuesday 22th december, when i load the game via steam, begins the loading screen of the game and then i have a message error saying "torchlight game executable has stopped to work", and i come back to steam program.

I have win vista with an ati radeon hd 4670.

Nothing has changed in my pc, except for the backup of torchlight i made via steam, and all worked properly.

I tried to change the download server as suggested in the forum (instead of germany i put italy/switzerland, where i live), nut nothing happened. I also have rebooted several times steam and my pc, setting down the firewall (I have comodo internet security), but invane...

Please give me an help cause i'm very disappointed, i'm new to steam and bought yesterday fallout game of the year edition (and it crash several times when i'm playing) and just now i'm downloading GTAIV, as can i say, that's not a good start for my steam experience!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:54 PM   #36
damaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodHelvete View Post
Hallo, i just bought torchlight a few days ago, and i was able to play perfectly.

But since the afternoon of tuesday 22th december, when i load the game via steam, begins the loading screen of the game and then i have a message error saying "torchlight game executable has stopped to work", and i come back to steam program.

I have win vista with an ati radeon hd 4670.

Nothing has changed in my pc, except for the backup of torchlight i made via steam, and all worked properly.

I tried to change the download server as suggested in the forum (instead of germany i put italy/switzerland, where i live), nut nothing happened. I also have rebooted several times steam and my pc, setting down the firewall (I have comodo internet security), but invane...

Please give me an help cause i'm very disappointed, i'm new to steam and bought yesterday fallout game of the year edition (and it crash several times when i'm playing) and just now i'm downloading GTAIV, as can i say, that's not a good start for my steam experience!
Yea, that Steam backup thing is so broken, next time just backup the whole steamapps directory.

Anyhow, try verifying your GCFs for Torchlight.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:02 PM   #37
RodHelvete

thank you, i did it as mentioned on your link, but it still doesn't work!

Anyway, should i cancel the entire game via steam and reinstall? and what about my saved games, where i can backup them? i know about steamcloud, but i read that doesn't work properly...
Old 12-23-2009, 02:15 PM   #38
damaged

Quote:
thank you, i did it as mentioned on your link, but it still doesn't work!

Anyway, should i cancel the entire game via steam and reinstall? and what about my saved games, where i can backup them? i know about steamcloud, but i read that doesn't work properly...
A reinstall would not hurt.

If you played the game with the characters when Steam cloud was active they should still be there, but if you want to be sure, your saved games are located in:

%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\save\

and if you played before Steam cloud, they might be in:

%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\savesbeforecloud
Old 12-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #39
RodHelvete

Quote:
Originally Posted by damaged View Post
A reinstall would not hurt.

If you played the game with the characters when Steam cloud was active they should still be there, but if you want to be sure, your saved games are located in:

%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\save\

and if you played before Steam cloud, they might be in:

%appdata%\runic games\torchlight\savesbeforecloud
i cannot find that path...where is it? i'm going mad..

anyway, i bought torchlight 4 days ago, i think steamcloud existed already!
Old 12-23-2009, 02:27 PM   #40
damaged

Quote:
i cannot find that path...where is it? i'm going mad..

anyway, i bought torchlight 4 days ago, i think steamcloud existed already!
Goto your start menu, click Run, then paste that into the run box and hit enter, it's a hidden folder, that's why you cannot find it, unless you do it that way, or you make hidden folders and files visible.

If it existed then you probably won;t have a savesbeforecloud folder.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:37 PM   #41
RodHelvete

Quote:
Goto your start menu, click Run, then paste that into the run box and hit enter, it's a hidden folder, that's why you cannot find it, unless you do it that way, or you make hidden folders and files visible.

If it existed then you probably won;t have a savesbeforecloud folder.
ok, did it! thank you so much, you're very kind!

now i try to reinstall the game (anyway, now steam says that the application is unavailable )
Old 12-23-2009, 02:39 PM   #42
damaged

Quote:
ok, did it! thank you so much, you're very kind!

now i try to reinstall the game (anyway, now steam says that the application is unavailable )
No problem.

The servers are overloaded, chances are if you use a network meter you'd probably see it is downloading in the background, you can try this anyway:

In Steam, click File, then Settings, then Downloads tab, and select a different download region, if that fails, exit Steam, then go into your Steam directory (it will have Steam.exe in it) and delete your clientregistry.blob file, then restart Steam.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:28 PM   #43
RodHelvete

Quote:
No problem.

The servers are overloaded, chances are if you use a network meter you'd probably see it is downloading in the background, you can try this anyway:

In Steam, click File, then Settings, then Downloads tab, and select a different download region, if that fails, exit Steam, then go into your Steam directory (it will have Steam.exe in it) and delete your clientregistry.blob file, then restart Steam.
Nothing, i reinstalled the game, and deleted the blob file but steam annoingly says "the game is not available"...how can i imagine steam defeats piracy if people pay for games that are not able to play?
Old 12-23-2009, 03:36 PM   #44
damaged

Quote:
Nothing, i reinstalled the game, and deleted the blob file but steam annoingly says "the game is not available"...how can i imagine steam defeats piracy if people pay for games that are not able to play?
It's probably still being downloaded, the error is not permanent.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #45
RodHelvete

http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6892/steami.jpg

It's says that torchlight is ready...

Anyway, i cannot say how i thank you for the patience with me! but my patience with steam tonight has finished, so i will try in a few hours, bye!
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Torchlight series