Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life

Old 10-31-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Slyrr

Can you 'gift' a game from one Steam account to another's?

My older brother bought the Gold package for HL2 which included Half Life1: Source. Thing is, he never plays it. I don't think he's even booted up steam in over three years.

Steam used to allow you to 'gift' games to people. Given that, is it possible for a person who has a Steam account to 'give' games he's not playing to someone else's account as a 'gift'? The 'Freeman's Mind' vids have put it in my brain to play through the game with Source engine power.

Yes, I know Half Life1 Source is dirt cheap. But I'm a cheapskate, dangit! If I can get it for free by having someone who doesn't want it anymore give it to me, then everyone wins, right?
Old 10-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Axe12389

Dude just buy it, besides I think that the person who has the game needs more that 1 copie of the game to gift it.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:19 PM   #3
gorpie

I think if he installed it, it's not really available for him to gift. Maybe he could revoke his ownership or something, but Axe may be right.

Here's the gift article.
gorpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #4
Slyrr

'Just buy it'? Didn't you read the initial post? I'm a cheapskate!
Besides, if it is possible for a guy who never plays a game to give it to someone who might play it through, why not?
Slyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:12 AM   #5
CatzEyes93

Once the game is purchased on an account, it is permanently associated to that account.

In short, no you cant.
CatzEyes93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:24 AM   #6
gorpie

Cat, you can gift certain games, but not all. Like, if you bought Portal, then tOB, you would have a second copy of Portal that you could then give to someone. But you have to gift it through Steam.

That's actually a lousy example, because Portal isn't on their list.

But the link does say: If your Steam account meets any of the conditions above, you will automatically receive extra copies of the related games which you can give to friends.
Old 11-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #7
Slyrr

but alas, you can't take a game YOU bought and give it to someone else it seems. That's one thing that a CD/DVD game copy has that's superior to steam - you can sell or give it away when you're done with it...
Slyrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
gorpie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatzEyes93 View Post
Once the game is purchased on an account, it is permanently associated to that account.

In short, no you cant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyrr View Post
but alas, you can't take a game YOU bought and give it to someone else it seems. That's one thing that a CD/DVD game copy has that's superior to steam - you can sell or give it away when you're done with it...
So you guys are both talking about apples, and I'm talking about a lone orange?

You're trying to say that if it's a single copy of a game, you can't give it away? That's annoying.

Well, here's their Steam Purchase Gifts & Guess Passes article if you haven't seen it yet, Slyrr.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
MADDOGGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyrr View Post
Now see thats something that as a long long time PC gamer I simply can't understand. I still own and play games from the DOS era. If a game was crap I might see getting rid of it maybe but if it's one you enjoyed is you attention span so short the one play through or perhaps playing through all the difficulties once and that is all you will ever want to play it? I would guess that if you read at all that once you have read a book once even if it's great you will never read it again? I'll bet however that you rewatch movies you have seen before, some over and over again.

As for being able to resell or give away CD/DVD games, since when. Not much lately unless you like to scam people . Not with all the DRM install limits on games these days. Yes I prefer a hard copy when possible but don't try and convince me it's superior to Steam. Each has their pros and cons. If you dislike Steam games don't buy them. Just don't dis Steam then still buy a game anyway from them because you can't live without it. That was the choice of DRM by the publisher accept it or don't play. Don't sneak in buy it and then complain about not being able to resell it.

Last edited by MADDOGGE: 11-08-2009 at 07:16 PM.
MADDOGGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #10
gorpie

Slyrr, I know you're a cheapskate, but you can't pay $10 for a game you really want?

Even if he used to be able to gift it to you, HL: Source is not on the current list of gift-able games, so your brother can't give it to you even if he wants to.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Stixsworld

Umm here to be clear compared to all the other stuff I didnt read because it had to ramble on...

#1: Only certain games can be gifted and even at that its under certain situations...

#2: Just buy the thing...jeeses...I own over 135+ games on my 1 steam account...

---Stixsmaster
Stixsworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM   #12
MrSquid

Yeah, this model kinda sucks. If I pay the same price on Steam as for a CD of a game that I can give away to someone else when I'm finished, then I should have the same right to do so with a Steam game.

Now having said that, there are an awful lot of great deals to be had on Steam and if I can find a game on Steam for somewhat less than the CD, then I'll swallow my pride and buy it from Steam.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #13
chicken-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stixsworld View Post
Umm here to be clear compared to all the other stuff I didnt read because it had to ramble on...

#1: Only certain games can be gifted and even at that its under certain situations...

#2: Just buy the thing...jeeses...I own over 135+ games on my 1 steam account...

---Stixsmaster
Yea, we all want to be just like you...
chicken- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:52 PM   #14
L_A

To gift a game, there's 2 possibilities:

1) chose 'Purchase as a gift' when you buy the game.
2) You already own the game, but you decide to buy a package which includes that very game. But it has to be specified on the store page this game can be gifted if you already own one game from thz said package. I remember during the Halloween sales, lots of people complained because of the Indie Packs: they couldn't gift the game they had already bought before, and which were included in the said packs. Because it was not allowed.

But if you own only 1 copy one of the game, and it's that copy you want to gift, you simply can't do so. If you've used 'Purchase for myself', you simply can't gift the game, except if point 2) applies. So, your brother won't be able to gift you the game, even if he never installed the game or anything.

Last edited by L_A: 12-31-2010 at 03:55 PM.
L_A is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Half-Life