Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Exclamation Call of Duty Games & Retail CD Keys

Hey,

The following is a list of Call of Duty games on Steam, and whether it is possible to register retail CD Keys for the specific game's to individual Steam accounts:

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Retail CD Keys for this game can and must be added to Steam in order to play the game.

Call of Duty: Black Ops - Retail CD Keys for this game can and must be added to Steam in order to play the game.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Retail CD Keys for this game can and must be added to Steam in order to play the game.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - Retail CD Keys for this game cannot be added to Steam.

Call of Duty: World at War - Retail CD Keys for this game cannot be added to Steam.

Call of Duty 2 - Retail CD Keys for this game cannot be added to Steam.

Call of Duty 1 & Call of Duty United Offensive - Retail CD Keys for these games cannot be added to Steam.

I hope this clears up some confusion!

Last edited by Sierra Oscar: 03-14-2012 at 09:40 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
Zeromant

Banned
wow. so even if i buy a retail version of MW2? i mean, retail release is the 11 nov, and steam is 13 nov. so that way can i play the game 2 days earlier than the official release of steam? btw, retail installer for steam?
Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 AM   #3
Nephron

So, I buy the retail on 11/10/2009, add the game to steam and have to wait two more days?
Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 AM   #4
CLIFFISFTW

Hmm being able to add MW2 to steam and getting integrated with steamworks almost makes me want to purchase the game...
Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 AM   #5
TheMirror

It can, but is it mandatory? It makes me almost fully regretting I purchased it. I'd like to be able to sell it, thank you very much.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #6
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMirror View Post
It can, but is it mandatory? It makes me almost fully regretting I purchased it. I'd like to be able to sell it, thank you very much.
Yes, retail versions of the game use SteamWorks - requiring the game to be registered to Steam.
Old 10-24-2009, 05:40 AM   #7
TheMirror

Well... this sucks. Another middle finger for PC users. Now you can't do anything if you're not satisfied with the game.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #8
Sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
Yes, retail versions of the game use SteamWorks - requiring the game to be registered to Steam.
So, must be added to steam, or only if you want?
Old 10-24-2009, 07:05 AM   #9
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
So, must be added to steam, or only if you want?
To the best of my knowledge, all PC retail copies of MW2 must be registered with Steam.

This would be substantiated by the fact that an Internet connection is a minimum requirement for the game, along with the acceptance of the Steam Subscriber Agreement.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 AM   #10
CLIFFISFTW

Is it strange that i actually like this idea? I never actually re-sold any of my games before, so i guess that's not really an issue for me.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 AM   #11
Sierra Oscar

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLIFFISFTW View Post
Is it strange that i actually like this idea? I never actually re-sold any of my games before, so i guess that's not really an issue for me.
Well, it is bound to upset some people - but I always welcome a game using SteamWorks.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 AM   #12
TheMirror

Of course it will upset people. They are charging us more, just because they can. Steam puts this ridiculous price of $90 for no good reason. Then there's no demo, there's no beta, they remove features with a tested (and failed) MP model and hope that you are stupid or just don't have anything else to play so you purchase it regardless. And if you don't like it - you're at a 100% loss. Console gamers can at least rent it or sell it. Hell, they can even <<this topic is off limits for discussion>>. It's only logical that you see people upset with this. You, as a customer, are left with no choice but to either buy it or gtfo.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:12 AM   #13
dBeta

All retail Steamworks games (Empire: Total War, Dawn of War 2, all of Valve's stuff, etc) is basically the same as buying it off Steam, except that it comes with a ready-made backup disc, with the the benefits (downloadable copy, easy transfer to PC, Steam Achievements et. al) and disadvantages (can't resell disc, if Steam is down you're relying on Offline Mode etc.) that comes with it.

And you're far more likely to find it cheaper at retail.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
Sonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Oscar View Post
Well, it is bound to upset some people - but I always welcome a game using SteamWorks.
x2

Because, not that problem anymore whit cd keys in other pc's

for example i have team fortress 2 i can play in any computer whit my acc. cod 4 (for example no) my friend some time ago give me his cd to install and play..and sometimes when i was playing it said i cannot play whit that cd key..and thats stupid

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No more punkbuster WOW, finnaly

I hate so much punkbuster...
Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #15
PimpDaddyStu

So does this mean if I buy the game at a shop and add my cd key to steam that the game will appear in my steam account as if I've purchased it trough steam and I don't need to worry about the disc any more because I will be able to delete and download it through steam liek all my other steam games?

Stu
Closed Thread

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare