Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Cain

Change respawn times in TF2 server ??

Is there a server cfg variable to alter respawn times in TF2 or do I need SM or a plugin ??

Thanks!!

-- Cain
Old 11-07-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Seppuldura

mp_respawnwavetime "x" (from 0 to 10 in seconds) changes the respawntimes

mp_disable_respawn_times "1" disables them completely (instant respawn)
Seppuldura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 12:28 PM   #3
Cain

Thanks Sepp !!!

I'll try that ~!!!

- Cain
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
Cain

mp_respawnwavetime "x" does not seem to work at all....

The other one DEFINITELYworks, but it makes it instant respawn ...
Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 PM   #5
Seppuldura

It works....be aware that the impact is different depending on the gametype the map is running on. What value did you try?

Use 5 and you should notice the difference (10 is default = vanilla)...at least on dustbowl.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:02 AM   #6
Cain

I must be doing something wrong, or perhaps I need to restart the server??

I tried mp_respawnwavetime "1" and it was still taking people up to 20 seconds to respawn.

I tried it mainly on Goldrush, as I recall, perhaps it does not work on .pl maps?

Can I place this in the server.cfg, or does it need to be a command line switch ?

Last edited by Cain: 11-10-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:35 AM   #7
Seppuldura

You either put it in your config or change it ingame with rcon. Changing the config requires either a mapchange or a restart to work. When doing it with rcon the server will put a message out to anyone ingame stating that the server cvar has been changed:
Server cvar 'mp_respawnwavetime' changed to 3 for example.
Changing the timer with rcon works instantly.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:36 AM   #8
Lob (UK)

Some further information that may be of interest.

When you have the settings mentioned above running, it is still not actually instant respawn as regards you will still get the freeze time and cam before you respawn which is about 6 seconds from when you die till when you respawn.

There is a way around this though without having to use an instant respawn plugin.

The cvar that deals with this freeze time is spec_freeze_time which is a cheat cvar.

If you use Sourcemod, you can easily hook this one cvar by adding it to your sourcemod.cfg like this

sm_cvar spec_freeze_time 2

Just change the value to as you wish. The setting example above will give you a freeze cam when you die and you will respawn 2 seconds after you die.

You would still need to use the other cvars in your server.cfg as regards

mp_respawnwavetime 0
mp_disable_respawn_times 1

This is how you can achieve True Fast respawns without specific instant respawn plugins.

- Lob (UK)
Lob (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
Cain

Thank you guys, your help is most appreciated !!

My story. At present by using "mp_disable_respawn_times 1" I have virtually instant respawn times on every map, you may be right, it might take about 5 secs, I'll check that. The problem as everyone knows that respawns that are too fast make it very tough for the attackers to complete their objectives - it favors the defenders.

I tried altering mp_respawnwavetime via ron, on Goldrush and it seemed to have no effect, folks were still taking up to 20 seconds to respawn - even if I set the value to 2 or even 1. From what I could tell it had no effect.

What I would like is for every map to take the players about 8-10 seconds or so to respawn, and I'd like to avoid using a plugin to accomplish this, I like to keep things simple.

So let me get this straight, I can simply add sm_cvar spec_freeze_time X to my sourcemod.cfg file, where X= how long it takes them to respawn after they die ?

And I need to leave mp_disable_respawn_times 1 ....

Once again, many thanks!!

-- Cain
Old 11-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Lob (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
What I would like is for every map to take the players about 8-10 seconds or so to respawn, and I'd like to avoid using a plugin to accomplish this, I like to keep things simple.

So let me get this straight, I can simply add sm_cvar spec_freeze_time X to my sourcemod.cfg file, where X= how long it takes them to respawn after they die ?

And I need to leave mp_disable_respawn_times 1 ....

Once again, many thanks!!

-- Cain
Yes mate.

This cvar is the amount of time that players are froze in spec from when they die till the other cvars kick in as regards mp_disable_respawn_times 1 etc

This is mainly useful for servers that want to get the respawn time below the 6 seconds though. If you are aiming for 8 to 10 seconds, you can achieve this without using spec_freeze_time

mp_respawnwavetime 0 and mp_disable_respawn_times 1 will give you around a 6 second respawn time so if you want an 8 second respawn time, you could try changing mp_respawnwavetime 2 which should give you about 8 seconds in theory.

- Lob (UK)
Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #11
Cain

Ahhhhh... So mp_respawnwavetime is a variable, where the number after the variable is the number of seconds for the respawn wave, correct ??

I thought that the only numbers allowed there were either 1 or 0. I will try that set to 2 or perhaps 3 and report back.

Once again, thank you for the help, most appreciated !! You are welcome in my server anytime!! ;-)

-- Cain
Old 11-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Lob (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
Ahhhhh... So mp_respawnwavetime is a variable, where the number after the variable is the number of seconds for the respawn wave, correct ??

I thought that the only numbers allowed there were either 1 or 0. I will try that set to 2 or perhaps 3 and report back.

Once again, thank you for the help, most appreciated !! You are welcome in my server anytime!! ;-)

-- Cain
Yep, mp_respawnwavetime is set as the amount of seconds and is set in your server.cfg and then restart the Server etc.

mp_respawnwavetime //Time between respawn waves.

Cheers

- Lob (UK)
Old 11-11-2009, 05:04 AM   #13
Cain

Apparently you need to have this variable "mp_disable_respawn_times" set to 1 in order for this variable "mp_respawnwavetime" to work properly ??

I tried "mp_respawnwavetime" with everything from 10 to 1 and we still had 20 second or longer respawn times, but I did not have "mp_disable_respawn_times" set to 1 while testing it.

Thanks again !!
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
Lob (UK)

Your welcome mate.

And yep, you have to set mp_disable_respawn_times 1 aswell like i said in an earlier post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lob (UK) View Post
mp_respawnwavetime 0 and mp_disable_respawn_times 1 will give you around a 6 second respawn time so if you want an 8 second respawn time, you could try changing mp_respawnwavetime 2 which should give you about 8 seconds in theory.
- Lob (UK)
Old 11-23-2009, 05:05 PM   #15
Cain

OK after much experimentation, I cannot seem to extend my respawn times beyond 6-7 seconds, unless I take them to the full default values.

It seems when I have:
mp_disable_respawn_times 1
And mp_respawnwavetime set to any value from 2 to 60, I still have a 6-7 second respawn time.

If I set:
mp_disable_respawn_times 0
Then any value I set for mp_respawnwavetime seems to be ignored and I get the default (up to 20 seconds)

What I'm looking for is a 9-10 second respawn time, can anyone help me???

Bottom line here for me is the mp_respawnwavetime does absolutely nothing for me, but mp_disable_respawn_times definitely works and over-rides everything else.

Thanks in advance !!

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Source DS (Windows)