Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare

Old 11-10-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Deadmeat99

MW2: Multiplayer only "Disc read error" crash

So I can play the MW2 Single player campaign just fine, but when I start Multiplayer up, I get to the opening menu, and then the game crashes after about 5 seconds with a "Disc read error". I've tried both disc 1 and 2, but no difference. I tired running in Admin mode, no difference.

This is a Win7 64-bit machine. Anyone have this error or have any suggestions?

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #2
Barbadus

I'm having this same problem as well and as far as I know, multiplayer doesn't even require the discs as I've been leaving them out while playing multiplayer unless the error is referring to the HDD. Aside from coming across this error while trying to load a map between rounds occasionally, the game runs great!

I'm also on Win 7 64 bit, which I hope isn't the reason for this problem...
Barbadus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:14 PM   #3
Exetus

Right click on icon and test run as admin?

Or you can run steam itself as admin to test also.

Always simple to try out

Close steam,

delete ClientRegistry.blob

Reopen steam and then if neede verify game files through properties

Last edited by Exetus: 11-10-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Exetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 PM   #4
Barbadus

I believe Deadmeat mentioned trying this with no luck. I can go ahead and try it myself as well just to confirm or deny the effects of running as admin.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #5
Barbadus

Haven't tried the ClientRegistry.blob yet but that has fixed some strange issues in the past, I'll definitely give it a try once I get home tonight.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
turtleboy100

Same

Im having this exact same issue, tried re-install and everything, I now my HDD is fine, recent format, all other games work. Anyone have any ideas? it usually lets me play for a bit before crashing but sometimes not at all. It sucks, I REALLY want to play it.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #7
Barbadus

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtleboy100 View Post
Im having this exact same issue, tried re-install and everything, I now my HDD is fine, recent format, all other games work. Anyone have any ideas? it usually lets me play for a bit before crashing but sometimes not at all. It sucks, I REALLY want to play it.
Just curious, are you on Win 7 64 bit as well?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
FarmerB

I get a similar problem:

Single player - Completely fine!

Multiplayer - I can play 1 game, then on loading the next map (round) the game crashes to desktop (ctd) with no error message (only an error warning sound).

Sometimes it will crash at the end of the round just before you get your results (and points!!).

I have tried:

- Updating all drivers
- Running as administrator
- Running in 'XP SP2' compatability mode
- Updateing my directx
- Deleting my .blob
- Validating game cache
- Reinstalling windows!! (Still same problem!)

Nothing is working - it will always crash loading a new map or at the end of the mp match...

Specs:

Core i7 920
2 x 280GTX
Vista Ultimate 32bit

Interestingly, when I validate the game files - 1 file always fails. The message tells me it will be re-acquired and then steam pops up a message saying its finishing downloading etc, but when I validate again, its says ''1 file failed - it will be re-aquired...''

This is some BS!

Anyone else having probs validating..?
Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
Barbadus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerB View Post
I get a similar problem:

Single player - Completely fine!

Multiplayer - I can play 1 game, then on loading the next map (round) the game crashes to desktop (ctd) with no error message (only an error warning sound).

Sometimes it will crash at the end of the round just before you get your results (and points!!).

I have tried:

- Updating all drivers
- Running as administrator
- Running in 'XP SP2' compatability mode
- Updateing my directx
- Deleting my .blob
- Validating game cache
- Reinstalling windows!! (Still same problem!)

Nothing is working - it will always crash loading a new map or at the end of the mp match...

Specs:

Core i7 920
2 x 280GTX
Vista Ultimate 32bit

Interestingly, when I validate the game files - 1 file always fails. The message tells me it will be re-acquired and then steam pops up a message saying its finishing downloading etc, but when I validate again, its says ''1 file failed - it will be re-aquired...''

This is some BS!

Anyone else having probs validating..?
It sounds like you might be getting the same error, I usually don't see my error unless I Alt + Tab to it or bring up the Task Manager and switch to the error window.

If you know which file is failing to validate and know where it is, you should try to delete it, re-validate, and Steam should go about retrieving that file for you.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
turtleboy100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadus View Post
Just curious, are you on Win 7 64 bit as well?
Vista 64 bit
Old 11-11-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
Navellint

Possible solution

Hi Guys, I had the same problems. The solution for me was:

- Open Steam, go to tab my games;
- Right click Call of Duty MW2 Multiplayer;
- Click properties;
- Go to tab Local files;
- Click Verify Integrity of game cache;
- The procedure takes a while, corrupted files will be replaced.

Mine worked like a charm after that.

Good luck!
Fred.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:27 PM   #12
turtleboy100

still not working for me, this is really starting to jarate me off, remember the good ol' days when you bought a ing game it worked?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #13
Barbadus

Hmm well that sucks, it seems that Verifying Integrity has set me back even further. The process was able to find several files that needed to be redownloaded, which it did. I Verified again assuming that it should run through with no problems but again, it found files that needed to be redownloaded. This seemed like it would go on indefinitely so after 3-4 times going through this, I decided I'd just try to play since I had a fair amount of success before.

Now, without hesitation, the disc read error comes up every single time now. Not sure what is going on really though I feel like I might have less problems if I went back to XP...to reformat or not...
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 PM   #14
omegaic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbadus View Post
Hmm well that sucks, it seems that Verifying Integrity has set me back even further. The process was able to find several files that needed to be redownloaded, which it did. I Verified again assuming that it should run through with no problems but again, it found files that needed to be redownloaded. This seemed like it would go on indefinitely so after 3-4 times going through this, I decided I'd just try to play since I had a fair amount of success before.

Now, without hesitation, the disc read error comes up every single time now. Not sure what is going on really though I feel like I might have less problems if I went back to XP...to reformat or not...
See this: Steam repeatedly updates or verifies game files
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2971-RUAG-7390
Old 11-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
Barbadus

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaic View Post
See this: Steam repeatedly updates or verifies game files
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...2971-RUAG-7390
Thanks dude, I'll give that a try. Will update once it's done.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Call of Duty series > Modern Warfare