Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #1
Clughzilla

Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time.

When i click on a game in the store it gives me this message. (Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time.) What does this mean? Please help.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:59 AM   #2
SteveC226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clughzilla View Post
When i click on a game in the store it gives me this message. (Sorry, but you're not permitted to view these materials at this time.) What does this mean? Please help.
Maybe you have submitted a date of birth which wont allow you to view it as you are young?
Old 11-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #3
Clughzilla

That cant be the problem im 25 lol
Old 11-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
TheMG

Volunteer Moderator
Maybe you entered the birth date incorrectly by mistake?

I believe restarting Steam and/or clearing browser cookies will reset this.
TheMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #5
Hack Scudder

I wish I had this problem. I am 32 and I have to enter my birthday every damn time. Annoying as hell.
Hack Scudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #6
ozgeek

Just select the year and your done lol. I simply select anything less than 1990. I do this because I can't bee assed to reselect my birthday every game page I visit.
ozgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
RegnorVex

I incorrectly hit the accept button with the current year selected (which makes me less than a year old lol) so I cannot view any of the games in the list. Try as I might, I cannot find a way to reset this birthday. Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks,
RegnorVex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
Maledict21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegnorVex View Post
I incorrectly hit the accept button with the current year selected (which makes me less than a year old lol) so I cannot view any of the games in the list. Try as I might, I cannot find a way to reset this birthday. Anyone know how I can do this?

Thanks,
If you are using the Steam client to browse the store, simply restart the client.

If you are using a browser, clear your browser's cookies.
Maledict21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:57 AM   #9
ozipk

This is ridiculous, the age verification is only going to stop people who mis click. Why is it there at all? Surely you could tie a DoB to a Steam account?
ozipk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
Washell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozipk View Post
This is ridiculous, the age verification is only going to stop people who mis click. Why is it there at all? Surely you could tie a DoB to a Steam account?
The ESRB was founded by the industry to self regulate the ratings and access to game content. One of the rules/guidelines they ask online stores and gaming press to follow is to put an age gate directly in front of mature content and not to store that value.

It's not a technical issue for Valve to tie a DoB to an account, it's about conforming to the rules as laid out by the ESRB.

The age gate itself is not intended as a foolproof way of barring content from minors. It's about taking responsibility and having something to show to concerned parents.

The ESRB itself isn't because the industry is so morally conscious, it's a political move to stave off state and federal regulation about what is and isn't allowed. Of course, these days there's a supreme court ruling declaring that games are protected by free speech so there's little the politicians can do, but it never hurts to play nice.
Washell is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips