Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-14-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
aimanyusra

Games running 1.5x faster than normal.

Hi I just installed WIn 7 Pro 32-bit 2 days ago and I immediately found out that my games run faster. I redownloaded CS1.6 on Steam the other day and I seem to walk/shoot faster than normal.

This affects online play as I'm assuming that I'm moving faster than the server, hence causing me to lag. I don't really know how to explain this.
Thing is, this only happens when I turn off Vsync.
When I turn it on, the problem seems to go away. But I play CS competitively so I need 100 fps, which is why I need vsync off,

I've also installed Arkham Asylum, and noticed that Batman seemed to walk faster than what I've seen on Youtube, and the in-game speech ALWAYS ends after the character's mouth stops moving. (Only in-game, not cut scenes).

Note that I turn vsync off in my Nvidia global settings.

My specs are:
Intel C2D E6400 @ 2.13ghz no OC
3gb ram
xfx 9600gt xxx stock OC @ newest nvidia drivers
Steelseries siberia USB soundcard

Help needed

Old 11-14-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Frigid

This happens to me in Madden for PC.

To fix it I press Ctrl + Alt + Del, find the process, right click on it, set affinity, and only have 1 processor box checked.
Frigid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:28 PM   #3
aimanyusra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frigid View Post
This happens to me in Madden for PC.

To fix it I press Ctrl + Alt + Del, find the process, right click on it, set affinity, and only have 1 processor box checked.
Thanks for the reply, but didn't work for CS for me. If possible I'd like to attach the demo of me showing the lag..

Oh and running on one core for Batman just makes it worst. (The speed is normal, but now the game becomes laggy)
Old 11-15-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
aimanyusra

No one knows?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:05 AM   #5
UserU

Banned
Apparently, a dual-core optimizer works. The problem might be due to full core utilization, therefore speeding up the games
UserU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #6
aimanyusra

I've been trying to look out for an Intel dual-core optimizer. I tried Winthrottle, but it just lags everything. I didn't face this while using Vista Ultimate before I upgrade.. Could it be driver related? I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard, don't think they released a Win 7 driver
Old 11-16-2009, 01:51 AM   #7
aimanyusra

Bump?
can't play my games
Old 11-16-2009, 03:34 AM   #8
UserU

Banned
I've read some forums and the solution given was uninstalling the GPU drivers and re-downloading the latest version. Or perhaps try using the AMD DCO for yours. It might help.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:45 AM   #9
aimanyusra

I've tried the GPU drivers from new to old, which are supported by W7, even the beta ones. Didn't work. Can the AMD DCO work for my Core 2 duo?
Old 11-17-2009, 02:05 AM   #10
UserU

Banned
Well, I'm not throughly sure, but this topic relates the question and this. But you've to face the risk just in case this happens

Be patient as the results are very random. You might ask the mods for solution if these fails.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 AM   #11
Mangr0v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimanyusra View Post
But I play CS competitively so I need 100 fps, which is why I need vsync off
Why do you need to render frames faster than your monitor can display them to you?
Mangr0v3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 AM   #12
irogue

Sounds like a sound card driver related issue if the like you say " and the in-game speech ALWAYS ends after the character's mouth stops moving. (Only in-game, not cut scenes)." happens.

I wouldnt say the games running too fast ive heard of old games running too fast on AMD based machines but not intel but then again i havent googled this issue "intel+C2D+games+run+to+fast"

have you done a benchmark or frame rate comparison from old system setup to new one with win 7 vs vista?

Console command too view frame rate is " net_graph 1 " if i recall in source engine based games not sure abotu batman maybe use FRAPS for that.

Sorry to be vague but thats all i can think of man.
irogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #13
Patrician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangr0v3 View Post
Why do you need to render frames faster than your monitor can display them to you?
It's simply something they need...look at QIII progamer demos...no textures, bumpmaps...and it's a very old game :]
Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #14
aimanyusra

@UserU, I just tried installing the DCO, I tried running it but it didn't open anything so.. Not compatible I guess?

@Mangr0ve, with vsync on and fps cap at 75fps, I will lose response time when other players use 100fps, their mouse response is faster (don't know why).

@irogue, I know how fast the games run on my pc before I installed Win7.. And compared to now, what I'm getting is not normal. I'm achieving 100fps on net_graph 3 and cl_showfps. And from what I know, the character voices' timings are spot on, just that their models render too quickly or something.

@Patrician, yeah it optimizes our game.

Oh and movies and other media play fine, only games.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:02 PM   #15
irogue

Sorry i couldnt help mate, i hope you get more replys soon!
irogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips