Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series

Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
brabee

GTA3 / GTA Vice City on Windows 7

Hi. Im using Windows 7 RC (32bit) and I tried to run Vice City, but it freezed during loading of a new game.

Ive searched the internet a little bit but couldnt find any solid info, can you guys help?

I ll be grateful for any experience or advice on how to run these games on Windows 7.

Thank you.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Forward Area

Have you tried running the games in compatibility mode?
Forward Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
brabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forward Area View Post
Have you tried running the games in compatibility mode?
Ofc, but no luck
brabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
kraine89

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabee View Post
Hi. Im using Windows 7 RC (32bit) and I tried to run Vice City, but it freezed during loading of a new game.

Ive searched the internet a little bit but couldnt find any solid info, can you guys help?

I ll be grateful for any experience or advice on how to run these games on Windows 7.

Thank you.
It took me 1 hour to get it working on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Simply go to your "My Documents" directory, and enter the "GTA Vice City User Files" folder. There will be a file "gta_vc.set", delete that file.
Now set your compatibility mode of "gta-vc.exe" in folder where its located to "Win Xp (Sercice Pack 2)" and run the game!
Enjoy
kraine89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 04:40 PM   #5
tdurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine89 View Post
It took me 1 hour to get it working on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Simply go to your "My Documents" directory, and enter the "GTA Vice City User Files" folder. There will be a file "gta_vc.set", delete that file.
Now set your compatibility mode of "gta-vc.exe" in folder where its located to "Win Xp (Sercice Pack 2)" and run the game!
Enjoy
THIS did it for me...except I didnt need the compatibility bit at the end....thankyou so much Kraine89.
I was re-installing via Steam, bought today as part of the Rockstar pack and now a game that hasnt worked for months finally does.
tdurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
Topless Granny

I feel sorry for you guys. My GTA III worked perfectly out of the "box".
Topless Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Wiiplay

Hey.
I recently wrote a tutorial on how to fix GTA Vice City Launch problems.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1#post14714942
It's actually very simple, and I recommend you do this first before uninstalling or digging deep within files of files of files.

Let me know if it helped.
Wiiplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 07:04 AM   #8
DanDigiMan

A little late but, removing gta_vc.set works, but then I have to play with the sloppy 800x600 resolution. Once I change it to a higher resolution, a new SET-file pops up, and I have to remove it, and change resolution every time I play. Disabling Windows Aero did not work at all.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
Colbey1701

Dan, once you have deleted the .set file run the game and go to video options. You should now be able to change to the resolution you want, but most likely will only run if you set the game resolution to the same as the desktop.

If I change my desktop resolution my VC will not run until I change it back again.

Last edited by Colbey1701: 10-31-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: revision
Colbey1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #10
puppyball

Enable framlimiter and disable windows aero.
puppyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 07:10 PM   #11
Razorbak86

For what it's worth, none of the above suggestions worked for me in Win7 Prof (64-bit). What DID work, however, was turning off Data Execution Prevention, simply by adding the executable file (gta-vc.exe) to the DEP exception list.

Below is the process I followed:

Control Panel System screen (Windows key + Pause/Break) --> Advanced System Settings --> Performance: Settings button --> Data Execution Prevention tab --> Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select:" --> Add: --> Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto vice city\ folder --> Select "gta-vc" (executable file) --> Open --> Apply --> OK (to close first window) --> OK (to close second window).

Then just launch the game by clicking the "Play" button on the Steam interface.

I didn't have to delete the "gta-vc.set" file from the folder in My Documents. I didn't have to change the executable file to run in Windows XP compatibility mode. I didn't have to disable Windows Aero theme. I didn't have to turn on frame limiter. I didn't have to do ANYTHING else except add the game's executable file to the Data Execution Prevention exception list.

Hope this helps.
Razorbak86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Grand Theft Auto series